Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Receipts


Today I'm joining Wendy from Wendy's Art and Craft Journal who is our host at Art Journal Journey this month.  Her theme is Having Fun.  I'm also joining the team at Try it on Tuesday whose theme is Use a stencil or two.

What do you do with your old receipts?  We all get them, yet they often end up in the trash, shredder, or recycle bin.  I decided some of these were worthy of keeping and turning into a piece of recycled art.  I began by gluing these receipts to a sheet of 110 lb card stock. 

Some of them didn't like the PVA (white craft) glue I used, so I decided to run over the wrinkles to show and enhance the texture.

I got the idea to use a stencil on my page.  I began by using some left over texture paste I made a few weeks back.  When that turned into a disaster, I decided to use a green ink pad instead. 

Next it was time to find a focal image.  This was one I found in my stash.  I added the two doilies, which were new, as was the variegated thread I used on the focal image and around the edge of the page.   I was actually trying to flatten the very warped card stock that never flattened even though I left it for two days under a heavy book.

Here are a few detail shots.



I realized I should probably show the stencil I used.

You can see where I masked off the edges using some washi tape.

For Day 3 of 22 leading up to bEARTHday, I recycled seven cash receipts, used some leftover home made texture paste, and used a focal image found in my stash.  As I mentioned before, only the two doilies and the thread were new.

Thank you for joining me on this quest.  I am so grateful for your support of my art and recycling efforts.  Please also join me at Art Journal Journey and Try it on Tuesday, too.

28 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

that's a good way to use rather than trash, your receipts. and you used a stencil I've never seen too!

Valerie-Jael said...

Looks like you had fun with this one, and the stencils from CWS are always good. In the supermarkets here they now ask if you want the receipt - you can check what they do on a large screen placed so that the customer can easily read it - and if you don't need the paper receipt, they don't print it. That seems to me to be the best idea of all, saves even more. Hope the idea catches on. Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

Turning old receipts into amazing and interesting backgrounds makes so much sense! Gorgeous idea, and so super well designed with stencilling , sewing , layering! Perfection at day three dear Eilzabeth and how cool is that to fit in so well with AJJ and TIOT! Thank you so much for supporting the two challenges again! You ROCK!
Hope you have a fantastic day Sweetie!
Big hugs,
Susi

Cath Wilson said...

I love the idea of using receipts for art, Elisabeth - great recycling :-) I haven't seen stencils like that one before but it looks really useful, with all kinds of bits and bobs on it. Wonderful idea!
Thanks for sharing with us at Try it on Tuesday.
Cath x

My name is Erika. said...

Using receipts in art is always such a cool thing to do. They sure make a great background. And I love the stenciling, stitching and half of a paper doily. Thanks so much for joining in with the stencil challenge at TIOT. This is a great addition for the challenge. Happy Wednesday. Hugs-Erika

Mia said...

Wow Elizabeth! What a fun page! What a lovely idea! I will start recycling the receipt too!!!!!!! Kisses!!!!!!

R's Rue said...

❤️❤️❤️

kathyinozarks said...

Wow I love this piece Elizabeth. great idea with the receipts-thanks for the how-to's
enjoy your day Kathy

Nancy said...

Clever use of these, and they do make an interesting background!

Sami said...

Clever use of the receipts and the stencils are very nice too Elizabeth.
After writing up the amounts spent on my monthly budget page, I throw my receipts in the recycling bin.

Jeanie said...

I never in a million years would have thought of using old receipts this way. They make a wonderful background and I love the image you used with it. It's a very nice piece, Elizabeth!

Dianne said...

great idea to use those receipts! love the header design on the Feed Co. one. your recycled art is inspiring!

to answer your question about IKEA, the only thing I bought were some linen dish towels at $.79 each. the popularity of the store is probably due to low prices, but also the quality can be low if you're not careful about what you buy. we were looking for a new microwave cart, and didn't find anything we liked in our price range. we might go back and look at bookcases again, though. ;)

happy recycling!

RO said...

That's a really cool way to use receipts! I tend to keep them in my purse for awhile, then end up scanning them into various coupon sites to earn cash or gift cards, before eventually trashing them.(lol) I would probably save a lot more purse space doing it your way. Hugs...RO

pearshapedcrafting said...

Love this Elizabeth, glad you linked to Try It On Tuesday, Thank you! Using stencils is always so much fun and when you can recycle receipts even more fun! I usually only save the ones from holidays for my journaling unless it's for something special then it ends up under paint along with book pages etc(then only I know its there! !! Hugs to you on this lead up to b-earthday! Chrisx

Divers and Sundry said...

Receipts! Cool! I'll start saving them, which is something I'd have never done for my growing crafty stash without your suggestion.

I'm going to be on the lookout for some cheap stencils. My attempt to make my own, even though it was just circles, didn't go as well as I'd hoped ;)

Caty said...

Wooww Elizabeth, I love love this Art page !! You have create a so wonderful background with the receipts!! last month I took away at least 30 receipts I had in a box.... but now, I think I´ll keep them again :) and recycle them ! I love the stamp, the stencils and the doilies, and your sewing too. Congratulations!!
I wish you a very nice afternoon,
and send you big hugs, Caty

craftytrog said...

A fabulous page, and a great way to use some of those many receipts we get Elizabeth! xx

Meggymay said...

A fantastic idea for recycling receipts. The page looks great and of course I am delighted that you linked with us at Try it on Tuesdays as well.
I loved the way you used the stencil and the beautiful dragonfly image you added.
You asked me about what pen I used to write in my journal diaries the other day. The ones that work best for me are what I call super market best.... meaning the cheapest Biro's on offer at the time. No good to use paint over them as they smudge etc, but if used alone to add my daily musings they work okay.
Yvonne xx

Rita said...

Never thought of recycling receipts this way--LOL! Great idea. :)

Cindy McMath said...

Great recycling! I like the way different receipts have different fonts etc.

aussie aNNie said...

Great post and love that stencil. x

WendyK said...

Another great page, what a brilliant idea to use the receipts, I usually shread mine, I will now keep some of the more unusual ones.

CJ Kennedy said...

I never thought to recycle receipts. Clever.

Little Artbee said...

Dear Liz I must smile when I saw your receibt recycling. Well done. You created an extraordinary Artwork. Love the eyecatcher dragonfly.
Dear Greetings
Sabine

Words and Pictures said...

What a great background the collage of receipts makes... who needs all that expensive designer paper?! I rather like the grungy texture paste stencilling - not a disaster, just a different look. And how lovely to find the perfect focal panel ready and waiting in your stash.
Alison x

Lowcarb team member said...

Well, that's a different idea!

I always enjoy seeing how you do/did your art/craft work.

All the best Jan

Mrs.B said...

I would never have thought about using old receipts, but they do add a wonderful interest to your background, and a lovely focal piece from your stash, just waiting to be used. I haven't seen that stencil before, it does look very versatile.
Thanks for sharing with us at Try it on Tuesday, Avril x

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, I love your background of receipts with the stencilling - amazing 😁. Thanks for the inspiration and for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday! J 😊 x