Saturday, April 6, 2019

More fabric paper


I hope you saw my Second Thursday Tutorial where I created fabric paper.  If you missed an earlier post from this month on fabric paper, it is here.  Today I'm making a third.  It will be used as one side of a second page in my fabric paper book.

Once again, I chose some beautiful tissues, both decorative and plain, along with dress pattern tissues.  I paired them with this ugly fabric I purchased (10 yards, in fact) one year in a thrift store.

These take an entire day to dry, so I hope to have something more tangible soon.

For Day 6 of 22, I once again recycled and repurposed used tissue and dress maker tissues, along with some new, albeit ugly fabric.  All tissues were gifted, none were purchased, including the dress maker tissue.

Thank you for continuing with me on this 22 day recycling journey.  I am grateful for you, and promise to be finished with fabric paper soon.

Since this is a rather pathetic post today, I thought I would show you another photo I found in my basement of the Arch taken in front of the Old Courthouse.

I photographed the photo, then remembered that Susi thought I should scan it.

Since my scanner has been on the fritz for awhile, now, I'll let you decide which is better.

When I took this photo, the building on the left was the Adam's Mark Hotel.  It is now a Hyatt Regency.  You are seeing the front of the Old Courthouse, which is the opposite side that you see from the Arch.  The statue is called The Runner.

For those of you unfamiliar with the Old Courthouse, which was free to enter and visit the times I was there (but I doubt that is the case now, since it appears to be part of the Arch tour), it is famous for the Dred Scott case.  It was also where slaves were auctioned in one of the court wings (Probate Court) until 1861.

Dred Scott was a slave who had been taken into a "free" state, where he had been allowed to live free.  Then his "master" returned him to Missouri, a slave state.  Scott sued and claimed he was a free man.  The state court ruled against Scott, the Federal court ruled against Scott, and the Supreme Court ruled against Scott, claiming Scott was NOT a citizen of the United States, but property, whether he had been free in another state or not.

The Chief Justice wrote that Scott was a slave regardless how much time he had lived in a free state.
The question is simply this: Can a negro, whose ancestors were imported into this country, and sold as slaves, become a member of the political community formed and brought into existence by the Constitution of the United States, and as such become entitled to all of the rights, and privileges, and immunities, guarantied [sic] by that instrument to the citizen?
— Dred Scott v. Sandford, 60 U.S. at 403.
The court claimed that slaves were not citizens.  Thinking this would put a stop to the slavery issue, it had the opposite effect and was one of the major causes for starting the War Between the States (or Civil War).   After the war, the Supreme Court admitted it was the worst decision by the highest court in the land they had ever made.

Also, per the Free Kibble site (found on my right sidebar):
It's FEED ME Friday - We're donating 5X the kibble to feed shelter pets today!
So don't forget to visit and help them donate more kibble.  Bleubeard and Squiggles will love you for it, too.

15 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad you got another piece of fabric-paper done. The photo looks much better than the scan. I only scan documents. The way slaves were treated was so awful, thanks for telling the story. Have a great Saturday! Valerie

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful how clever you are with all of these creations...interesting story too.

kathyinozarks said...

wow your fabric paper is very cool! cool photo with the arch.
I tried the jean bag link just now and it worked for me-I also looked for my original bag entry and found it but the photos were no longer there. thanks for commenting your jean pieces sound very neat. Happy saturday

kathyinozarks said...

ps I did not know about that supreme court decision wow that changed our history at the time probably speeding up the civil war

CJ Kennedy said...

I enjoyed watching you make the fabric paper. Ma had a ton of dressmakers patterns that I didn't know what to do with so they went to the recycle bin. Sad face. The photograph of the arch and courthouse makes me think of the movie The Running Man. Interesting bit of history albeit shameful. I have heard of the Dred Scott case but don't think I knew the Supreme Court decision. Have a great day!

froebelsternchen said...

The fabric paper looks so good - I am really looking forward to see what you will make with them. Interesting story too, thank you for sharing. Sorry about my tip as in this case here it was obviously better to take a photo -lol. My tip was meant to take a scan when the light don't allow to get a good photo of an image such as electric light or when the sun blends in. This time you took the photo obviously during daylight I assume....
Old paper photos rank as documents in my mind and documents are always better scanned than photographed. That's for sure.
Happy Saturday mear Elizabeth!
Hugs, Susi

Caty said...

Woowwww this will be a fantastique fabric book Elizabeth !! This page looks wonderful, I like the fabric and the colours of the papers. One day I have to try... I prefer the photograph.
Thanks for sharing this story of the Court house, it´s interesting, we may learn always.
I wish you a very nice day, and send Big hugs.
Caty

Cindy McMath said...

Looks like a great paper fabric piece. But I have to say your ugly fabric looks a lot like my bedding - hahaha. Although it’s green, not beige. :).

My name is Erika. said...

I love the printed tissue paper. I'm kind of surprised you covered it over, but I do like how it peeks through. And Nice old photo too. I don't remember the court house, so maybe when I went we didn't see it. I was with my grandmother and great aunt, and my great aunt lived in Illinois. Her son, who was just a bit older than I, lived in St. Louis so we went to visit him. I have no idea where he is now since my great aunt passed away a few years back. My great aunt was the same age as my mom, and my grandmother was a good 20 years older, so we were quite the crew when we visited. One of these years I need to go back. Happy weekend. Hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

The idea of fabric paper isn't something I remember seeing before this month. It's interesting to see what you come up with :)

Lowcarb team member said...

I think your fabric/paper is good.
The photograph looks better than the scan I think!

Enjoy your weekend.

All the best Jan

Sandra said...

The piece you are working on is lovely.
The Scott case...sickening. We have a lot of muck in our closets and continue to add to it.
Hope your day is filled with sunshine, dear Elizabeth.

Meggymay said...

Its going to be another awesome fabric page Annie.
Also another interesting post and photos, you are sharing many interesting pieces of your countries history as well.
Yvonne xx

Jeanie said...

Never a pathetic post here, Elizabeth! There's always something I learn or discover or am in awe of and often times -- like today -- a combination of all three!

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a sad event- I do love your history lessons! Pleased you got more fabric paper made! Chrisx