Sunday, April 7, 2019

Oh Baby (wipes that is!)


I try to be as exact as possible when I write something.  For example, I NEVER write I "did a google search," or "I googled it."  Most people know I say "I did an INTERNET search", which means I used DuckDuckGo to find what I am searching for on the big old web.   Why DuckDuckGo you ask?  Because this search engine doesn't track your movements or try to influence the direction of your search like the big guys at google do.  Here's who they say they are:
The Internet privacy company that empowers you to seamlessly take control of your personal information online, without any tradeoffs.
So why did I bring up this internet search engine?  Again, see the first sentence of this post.

It's because I try to be exact when I write I used BABY WIPES and when I used WET WIPES.

Baby wipes feel like cotton, and are opaque.  In other words, you can't see through them.  If they are wrinkled, you can safely iron them.

Wet wipes, on the other hand, are translucent and feel almost like plastic.  You cannot iron them no matter how wrinkled they are, or you will get smears of goo all over your iron.  Just take my word for it!

With that in mind, I set out to dye some baby wipes using dye reinkers.

Once they had been dyed, I allowed them to dry overnight, then cut them in various sizes.

To hold them together, I sewed circles in place.  Not a very good job, because my feed dogs don't drop and I have no way to use free motion stitching.

You can see these have a pattern that is hardly visible until they are colored.

For this batch, I recycled and dyed five used baby wipes.  Seems I dyed my hands and fingers too, but they aren't recyclable.

I learned my lesson on the first stack, so for the second stack, I overlapped a cut baby wipe and sewed it along the top horizontal line.  It was intended to keep everything in place.  For this stack, I colored and cut seven baby wipes, then sewed them in place.

Although they are not finished units, I will need to wait until an idea hits me that will incorporate them in a larger fabric or paper quilt.  However, I am thrilled that I was able to use these baby wipes instead of tossing them in the trash.  In the U.S., I can't find a way to recycle them through commercial channels, only through art.

This is Day 7 of 22 days of recycling and I recycled 12 used baby wipes.  If you have ideas for how I can incorporate them in a larger piece, please let me know.  For some reason, I'm drawing a blank at the moment.


13 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

This sounds like a fun experiment, hope your fingers are back to normal after the colour bath. Valerie

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

So nice to see the recycling of baby/wet wipes. The material is very very soft and perfect for sewing and textile art. Love how you layered these exposing a tease of the under layer. I'm intrigued to see what your finished creation will be Elizabeth.
I use wipes as mop up cloths, sewn together to the size of around A3. Handwashed or in and out of the machine there's a non stop circle of use for them. They are ideal to introduce into canvases and look amazing if you burn holes into them. A Soldering iron works great ;)
I know what you mean about the eye that watches us online, as most of my makes come from what's in my head I don't really need to worry about that it's having time to shake it all out that's my issue. It can all way very heavy at times :))
Sunday creative hugs Tracey xx

froebelsternchen said...

I love the layering you did here... I am sure there will come the idea for the perfect use of them at the appropriate time. I think they are beauties already as they are! Never heard of DuckDuckGo - good thing I guess!
Happy creative Sunday for you sweet Dr.E.!
Susixxx

My name is Erika. said...

I haven't heard of Duch, Duch, Go, but I like the idea of them not tracking you. I will have to check them out. Of course my laptop remembers everything, except passwords, (I set it that way when it asks if I want it to remember sites) for ease of finding things and I am sure it is easy for any software to work its way into that. Computers are both good and bad, aren't they? (Like most technology I suspect) Love what you did with the baby wipes. They will make a great addition to something down the road! Hope your weekend is going well. hugs-Erika

craftytrog said...

Wonderful results with the baby wipes Elizabeth! I love the colours and stitching!
Happy Sunday,
Alison x

CJ Kennedy said...

A fun experiment. Baby wipes will remove ink from hands. I wonder if they remove dye, too?

Meggymay said...

I love how the colours look after your experiments on the baby wipes, we will be in for a treat when you show us how you use them.
All crafters get the coloured hand syndrome at some point, it goes with the joy of crafting.
Have a good Sunday.
Yvonne xx

Divers and Sundry said...

Words have actual meanings :) I'm continually pointing this out in political discussions ;) I've tried Duck Duck Go but get better results with Google.

I am trying to use some wipes (bathroom wipes, not specifically for babies), and like them as they give me a different type of surface than what I've been using. It's interesting to try different things :) You got much better color than I did, but then I used cheap water color paints. I need to look at a few higher quality paints, I think. My first thought is that you could cut them down to ATC size and embellish them for a card ;) Your circle shapes are perfect!

Mae Travels said...

I am trying not to think about the complete implication of reusing baby wipes. Or any wet wipes meant for a similar purpose. Reuse is noble, but...

best,
mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Jeanie said...

Makes sense to be specific but I only use them to clean the counter!

Mia said...

I do not know this searching machine, Elizabeth, but I will try it.
Your dyed wipes and lovely and great idea to stitch them together. Kisses!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Brilliant results! I bet your hands were pretty too! Hugs,Chrisx

aussie aNNie said...

Well you are full of surprises, with your amazing results and the different colours... I will catch up upon my return in two months..xxxx