Sunday, April 28, 2019

Heading to Italy


Today I'm joining Wendy from Wendy's Art and Craft Journal who is our host at Art Journal Journey this month.  Her theme is Having Fun.   You can't help having fun by traveling, if only in your altered book or art journal.   I'm also joining Moo-Mania and More, whose theme is Spring Fever.

As gray, rainy, and dark as it is here, this beautiful port city definitely gives me spring fever.

Doesn't this look like a beautiful tropical Mediterranean city to put on your bucket list?

Even the colors are bright and welcoming.  They make me happy.

This looks like the ultimate party boat to me!

Let's head to Portofino, Italy for a fun time.  If you are as geographically challenged as I, it is in the north, on the Italian Riviera, and is famous for it's harbor and colorful buildings that are along the shoreline.

For this spread, I began with images I found in two travel brochures.  Using variegated thread, I sewed them onto 110 lb cardstock I first sprayed with my handmade shimmering mist.  For the name of the city, I went to my stickers, something I haven't done in months and months.  The sheets of stickers I chose were sparse, and I had to improvise to get enough letters to create the word.

Thank you for joining me today.  I am so grateful for your support, and even more so now that my nightmare appears to be over.  Please also join me at Art Journal Journey and Moo-Mania and More.

18 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Portofino is indeed a beautiful place to visit. There's a restaurant named after it in Düsseldorf, near the school I used to teach at. Lovely page. Have a fun day, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

What a pleasure to travel to Portofino with you at this grey and rainy Sunday! The page is beautiful and I like the little extra photo of the boat ( our travel transport I guess) !A very uplifting and lovely entry for Art Journal Journey and much appreciated at Moo Mania & More as well dear Co.-Admin!
May posting is scheduled already!
Happy Sunday my friend!
Susi xxx

RO said...

What a treat to be able to travel to beautiful Italy right from my office, and I love it. The closest I've come is when I see and hear chefs cooking on on my cooking shows on Top Chef, Chopped and Master Chef. The accents sound so romantic! Hope your Sunday is amazing! Hugs...RO

craftytrog said...

What a fabulous image, Portofino looks so beautiful! I love the lettering and stitching too Elizabeth! xx

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, yes this does look like an inviting place to visit-loved the colors

CJ Kennedy said...

The colors of the buildings remind me of tulips. Spring Fever, indeed! Enjoy your day!

R's Rue said...

❤️❤️❤️

My name is Erika. said...

I will join you if you fly to Boston first and we can travel together. Smile. It looks warm and sunny. Here it is definitely back into the colder than normal. Ugh. Love this page as it makes me want to go to Italy. And I'll let you know we did make it into the movie yesterday. We went to a small theater in a small town that did not pre-sell tickets, and we went to the first show (our plan). I bought tickets, the hubby got into the popcorn line (as it was our lunch), and I was the first person in the theater. What a geek I am. Ha-ha. And guess we will be part of the 1 billion dollar opening weekend, but definitely worth it. Hope you are having a great Sunday. hugs-Erika

Caty said...

Wooww what a lovely place to rest Elizabeth !! Portofino may have a special attractive for tourists, I love the colours of the houses, your page is Wonderful, now I want to travel :D
I wish you a very nice afternoon, and send big hugs,
Caty

WendyK said...

What a lovely colourful page. I love Italy, but have never been there.. Pleased you're nightmare is over.
Hugs Wendy

Meggymay said...

A wonderful page and the pictures make you just want to be there, seeing the bright buildings , the sea with the boats. A happy place to be.
Yvonne xx

Divers and Sundry said...

Yes, let's go! What a gorgeous image to use in your piece :)

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

These colors are so uplifting. This makes me want to go to Italy! What a fascinating art form. I always enjoy your masterpieces.

Jeanie said...

Don't you love the warm, colorful Italian buildings and that wonderful water? Makes me want to hop a plane!

Eileen Bergen said...

Your page looks like a travel poster, Elizabeth, and yes it does make me want to put Italy on my bucket list! Eileen xx

Michele said...

a gorgeous page! i'd love to visit there too! xo

Words and Pictures said...

It certainly looks like a wonderful place to visit... one can but dream!
Alison x

Lowcarb team member said...

This lovely post of yours bought back some happy memories for me.
I was fortunate to visit Portofino, Italy a few years ago and fell in love with the place.

Great post, thank you.

All the best Jan