Friday, March 8, 2019

Friday Smiles 311: Back to the Museum of World Treasures


I'm sure you can tell, I'm here for Annie's Friday Smiles.   I still haven't had time to go through all the photos I took of the Museum of World Treasures, but I managed to go through a few, although they are not all that good.   I'll once again begin with a few funnies I found when cleaning out my office last year.

A few more church bloopers you might find funny.

Next Sunday Mrs. Vinson will be soloist for the morning service.  The pastor will then speak on "It's a Terrible Experience." 

Due to the Rector's illness, Wednesday's healing services will be discontinued until further notice.

The outreach committee has enlisted 25 visitors to make calls on people who are not afflicted with any church.  

Have trouble sleeping?  We have sermons. Come hear one! 

This is a ch_ _ ch.   What is missing?  


Now for just a few photos today from the Civil War period in the U.S.  I apologize, but I haven't had time to go through these like I should.  Most of them are horrible, since everything is behind either glass or plexiglass.

I thought Annie might like this vignette, since she likes to see costumes and artifacts.  There will be more uniforms and clothing next week, providing the photos are any good.


This is the campsite of a Confederate soldier.



The man on the vellum drape is Robert E. Lee.  He was the Confederate States Army commander of Northern Virginia, the most successful of the Southern armies.   He was the leading Confederate general during the Civil War until his surrender in 1865.  





This is about Jesse James' brother who owned slaves, was an outlaw like his brother, and raided Lawrence, KS which involved a bloody battle.  Not sure you can (or even care to) read it.


Guns, confederate money, and more guns.

Items from the Civil War.


That young man was taller than I am.  I don't know what it is, but kids seem to be drawn to guns. 

Maybe that's why we have so many accidental gun deaths each year.

Sorry this is so short today.  As always, I am grateful for your continued visits.  Now let's visit Annie's Friday Smiles, where it never hurts to begin the weekend with a big smile, just like Annie's. Feel free to join in with a post of your own, too. 
 

22 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful museum photos. Thanks for sharing, have a great Friday, Valerie

Lisca said...

Good morning, I enjoyed your church funnies again and read them out to hubby over breakfast. I parrticularly liked 'This is a ch--rch. What is missing' And the 'afflicted' church.
It's a shame the photos of the museum were not so good. I was intrigued by the sunglasses. But the sign doesn't tell me why they wore them. (I assume for the sun, or is that too naive?)
Have a lovely weekend,
Lisca

Lisca said...

Oops, that was bad English! I meant: 'or am I being too naive'.

Annie said...

Thanks for sharing your funnies....they always raise a smile for me. It's a shame they have to put these things behind glass cos it's spoiled many of your photos.
You commented that the twins look good as the dalmatians...if you reread it you will see that the three in the photo are Amy's three and the twins are dressed up today for their World Book Day so there's no pics of them as yet.
Hugs,
Annie x

aussie aNNie said...

Interesting photos love looking at the different things posted here. Enjoy your weekend.x

RO said...

Something about church funnies just makes me giggle out loud, and I love these posts. It's always so interesting to see actual pieces of our history on display, and I appreciate your pics so much! Hugs and Happy Friday! RO

mamapez5 said...

Church magazines are particularly prolific in supply us with smiles! perhaps it's because they are usually the work of volunteers, or they are in UK and here anyway. But they do amuse me.
Plenty of interesting photos of the museum again. Thanks for sharing. Kate x

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, I really enjoyed the museum visits-I am always interested in the 1700's and 1800's time period.
enjoy your Friday

CJ Kennedy said...

I enjoyed the museum trip to the Civil War era. I especially liked the Confederate soldier's campsite.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Great exhibits Elizabeth, thanks for sharing. The funnies are brilliant as usual. I sometimes wonder if people who write these things bother to read them before publishing them. Have a great weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

Let's Art Journal said...

Great post! It's always fun visiting you on a Friday for the funnies and museum trip, that Confederate soldier campsite looks amazing 😁. Happy Friday and Weekend! J 😊 x

Divers and Sundry said...

I understand the need to protect exhibits, but it does make photos hard to take :( It looks like a good exhibit, and I always appreciate a thorough display like that one appears to be :)

Annie said...

I will explain again for you. World book day was yesterday and in the photo is Amy’s three children...Phoebe is dressed as Hermione and then Lulu and her younger brother Steve are dressed as dalmatians. The twins school is celebrating world book day today because they had a school trim yesterday so at the point of writing my blog there were no pics of the twins in their outfits. I hope that makes it a little clearer for you.
Hugs,
Annie x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Love the funnies, the 'ch**ch' one was very clever!! I love this part of the museum - the little scenes look very interesting. I had heard of the James Brothers - probably via a Western at some point!! Have a happy weekend! Hugs, Chrisx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I really enjoy your church funnies. They give me a good laugh. I think your photos came out well, considering the challenge of the glass and plexiglass causing reflections and distortions. I haven't taken any / many photos in awhile due to this cold Winter we're having. The snow from our most recent storm isn't really melting, either. They claim the temperatures will warm up to normal next week, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Mia said...

This museums looks very interesting. And I love visiting museums. Thank you for the beautiful photos you shared with us, Elizabeth. Kisses, my dear friend.

Mia said...

Elizabeth, thank you so much for your great gift. I have put photos on my blog. Hugs, sweetie!!!!!!!!!!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

Thanx for sharing Elizabeth, both the funnies and the museum tour and da tabbies hope bleu and squiggles stay IN trubull :) ♥♥

Meggymay said...

Wonderful photos from the museum again. I laughed at the funnies and especially liked the one about the sermon making folk sleep.
Yvonne xx

Jeanie said...

Hi Elizabeth, fellow Morse fan! Loved seeing your tour of the Civil War section of the museum. This really is a wonderful spot. you may think the pix weren't the best but I think they're fine -- and they tell the story.

My name is Erika. said...

I went to a civil war reenactment a few years ago up here in NH. It was interesting to me as there was a whole medical part. It amazes me how people managed without all the modern conveniences we have now. Some of what we have are just conveniences, but modern fabrics are cooler/warmer and dryer. Living in a tent from the 1960's must have been tough. But maybe we are just too spoiled right now. Have a great weekend. Hugs-Erika

froebelsternchen said...

Fab funnies again and I love to visit this museum with you! Always so interesting! Thank you dear Elizabeth!
Hugs, Susi