Saturday, March 9, 2019

Saturday afternoon at the Movies and a not-so brief commentary


My internet friends CJ and Kathy are part of this meme where you post your all time favorite films.   I'm not sure I have more than about FOUR favorite films, but I have films I have seen that I can share.  However, unlike CJ, who says there is no need to explain why you like the film, I prefer the way my internet friend Birgit reviews films (often hilarious, occasionally irreverent).  Her synopses are not to be missed.

As I've explained the other times I've shared a film, one thing you should know about is my choice of films.  You won't find any "chick flicks" here and any romance is simply a side effect of the major overall film.

However, today, before we get to the film, I have a commentary I want to share.  There is nothing subtle about this, and there are definite political overtones.  Sadly, it's due to the times in which we live.  If I've struck a nerve, I apologize.

Last week FLOTUS (First Lady of the United States) Melania Trump went on a three state tour,  unveiling her "Be Best" campaign which addressed social media and the opioid crisis.   Sadly, her campaign comes a bit late, because the mid-term elections have already come and gone.  Granted, she did get ill right before she was to unveil her program last year.  Add to that the government shutdown, and she finally had her say, both answering questions to small children and blaming the media for offering "fake news."  In Las Vegas, she took time to chide the news media for dedicating time to other coverage besides the opioid crisis:
I challenge the press to devote as much time to the lives lost and the potential lives that could be saved, by dedicating the same amount of coverage that you do to idle gossip or trivial stories.
This is a woman who wore stilettos when planning to tour the hurricane relief zone two years ago in Texas.


Images found on the internet
I fear it shows how disconnected she is with the real world in which she lives.

According to the New York Times, FLOTUS:
said she would focus her official effort as first lady on teaching children to put kindness first in their lives, particularly on social media. 
Not too long after Reagan became president, his wife Nancy brought out her "Just say no" campaign to saturate our drug addled minds with ideas we could easily give up drugs, especially the new (at that time) drug crack and alcohol by saying yes to life and no to crack and alcohol.

Image from Wikipedia
According to Wikipedia, reading and literacy were Barbara Bush's causes:
Family literacy was Barbara Bush's cause as First Lady, and she called it "the most important issue we have".

Further:
Eventually, she helped develop the Barbara Bush Foundation for Family Literacy.
Image from Wikipedia
I looked long and hard to find Hilary's causes.  I finally discovered she was into health care and pushing health care reform.

Image from Wikipedia.com
Laura Bush's first cause was literacy, since she had been a teacher, then a librarian after she received a Master's in Library Science.  After 9/11, she became involved in helping Afghanistan women who were brutalized by the Taliban.

Image from Townhall.com
Michelle Obama's cause was childhood hunger, obesity, and poor diets.  She championed the "Let's Move" movement.

Now that we've seen some recent FLOTUSes, let's check out this week's movie.

This week, I am honoring All the President's Men.  It is the story of the Watergate incident that eventually took down President Nixon. 

Both Woodward and Bernstein were local news desk reporters at The Washington Post.  They covered the break-in at the Democratic National Headquarters in one of the Watergate buildings, which was minor news at the time.  When the story reached national attention, Woodward and Bernstein refused to turn it over to the national news desk.  Executive editor Ben Bradlee insisted on collaboration of at least two sources before anything would or could be printed in the paper.

It was as authentic as possible, right down to trash provided by real Washington Post staffers and copies of old telephone books, with the exception of one comment uttered by Deep Throat: "follow the money."  That line never appeared in the original book and it apparently was never uttered by Deep Throat.

The film was released in 1976, and I saw it on TV several years ago.  Roger Ebert gave it a very thorough review, which included his belief that it was a great story about real reporters reporting real incidents, but was boring in the fact it was all about facts, dates, etc.  Robert Redford bought the rights to the book and helped turn it into the award winning film that was nominated for eight Academy Awards which won for Best Sound, Best Art Direction, Best Adapted Screenplay (for William Goldman's screenplay), and Best Supporting Actor (for Jason Robards' performance as Bradlee).

There are a TON of free places you can see it on the net, and if you have an Amazon Prime account, you can see it there, too.

One of the questions probed by various reviewers of the film asked if it could happen again.   Given our current climate in the States, I want to offer my opinion.  First, from everything I've read, Nixon was devious, cunning, and deceptive right up to the very end.  BUT, he was only a player on the NATIONAL stage.  This was a U.S. incident and had no INTERNATIONAL ramifications, like we could be faced with today.

If you lasted this long, I thank you for sticking around.  I promise to not share so much commentary next Saturday afternoon at the movies.


12 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

The people on the political stage have changed rapidly, and definitely not for the better. I saw this film a long time back, and it wasn't bad, but not so good - for me - that I would want to watch it again. Have a great weekend, Valerie

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I read your entire post, and I wasn't offended by anything you wrote. One problem in the US today seems to be how polarized we are, where no one can have an opinion unless it agrees with the other person's opinion. I saw this movie a long time ago, but I barely remember it at this point. Interestingly, the journalists required two sources before publishing anything. For many years now, the news quotes "unnamed sources" for many stories, and everyone believes them without question. Some of those stories have later been proven false. I used to pay more attention to the national and international news, but events became too predictable, so now I don't bother. I don't remember how long it took for the Watergate investigation to be completed, but I'm assuming the current equivalent investigation will take just as long, if not longer, before it gets completed. Perhaps more arrests will occur when it's finally done.

CJ Kennedy said...

A disconnected White House that hasn't studied history or grammar, and doesn't have a remote understanding of the Constitution. And it's scary to think Watergate may end up looking like a school boy prank in comparison to events now unfolding. I enjoyed this movie. Redford is a great storyteller.

Mia said...

This film is a "must" for everyone, Elizabeth. Of course I have seen it. I love political movies, especially when the show the real face of the politics. Kisses, my friend.

froebelsternchen said...

No I don't say anything about your actual first Lady....
I am sure we agree about her and oh yes I have seen this film , even recently in German again at TV " Die Unbestechlichen" and I like it! I can tell that both actors are favourites of mine looking great and always playing super - they were so young at this time - oh yes I like the film !

My official favourite film - I have the romantic genre in my heart is:
The Piano
with Holly Hunter,Harvey Keitel and Sam Neill

Happy
Saturday my friend!
Big hugs, and lots of LOVE from
Susi

Meggymay said...

Its a while since this film has been shown on our TV, but the oldies are goodies in my view, you will guess I mean films.
Have a good day, I am watching Rugby matches this weekend, I think films will have to wait for me..
Yvonne xx

My name is Erika. said...

Melania is (unfortunately) not a woman who (I feel) is a great role model of the young girls of America. All these other first ladies, politics aside, had careers and were independent and made good role models, if not for all girls, for at least many girls. But I also think Melania isn't someone who wants to be a role model for youth (because I don't think she wants to be first lady) and is in a relationship with a man who doesn't really respect most women. I kind of feel bad for her in some ways, as I wonder how much she wants this life, but in other ways, she's in it and isn't doing anything to get out of it. Now that is my opinion (for what it is worth) and I am sure people will disagree with me. But sometimes I just have to speak my mind. ANyhow, that is a great movie you mentioned. I remember seeing it in the theatre back in the 70's while I was in high school and I rewatched it a year or so ago and it was still good. Happy saturday. Hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

I remember when she first said early on that she wanted to focus on decreasing bullying, and the jokes wrote themselves. I don't feel any sympathy for her at all. She's fully bought into Trump's world.

I remember seeing that movie when it came out. That Deep Throat source not only was anonymous but _remained_ anonymous for decades. Just because the 24-hour news cycle and the Reagan administration's elimination of the fairness doctrine (1949-1987) have given us more commentary and less hard news and more partisan news sources doesn't mean we have no hard news. We just need to be discriminating in telling the difference. And back in Nixon's day there were Republicans interested in justice and full investigation. Now we don't have that.

I enjoy your commentary :)

Birgit said...

First off...shame on me for not coming by on a Saturday when I should have and that’s on me. Second..gulp....I still have to see this film and it is one if really want to see this year along with a couple of others that I still must see. Thank you for the very kind shout out and that you find my humble blog funny with my reviews of some movies I have seen. As for Melania in her 5ft long heels walking among the devastating effects of the hurricane and the people who have lost everything, doesn’t everyone? I mean I have my Come F*#$ Me heels for just such an occasion. I don’t think brains is the first thing I think of when I look at her but then, come to think of it, Trump probably thought the same way...ughh...the horror...the horror

Sami said...

I saw the movie ages ago and liked it. You might also enjoy "The Post" with Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks, the same type of movie.

Shouldn't really comment on the first ladies as I don't live there, but the present one certainly doesn't inspire me at all, unlike the previous ones.

pearshapedcrafting said...

All I'm going to say is "What a pair!" and I'm not talking about Redford and Hoffman two of my favourite actors! Hugs, Chrisx

RO said...

I'm a movie buff, and have been since I was a kid, and I often went to see movies in the theater alone as I really want to see the movie and not do any chatting.(lol) So I saw this movie back in the day, and I adore Robert Redford. My list of faves would be way too long for this post, but I list a few over on my sidebar of the blog. Thanks for passing on a new blogger for me to visit too! Hugs...RO