Friday, February 8, 2019

Friday Smiles 307: Big Larry's


Some of you were here yesterday and saw my foodie friend Sally and I went out to eat a lot in the months of October, November, and December.  I have SO many of these places we went, I need to get them out of my storage file and onto my blog.  Therefore, today I'm going to share another place we ate one of those months.

I'm sure you can tell, I'm here for Annie's Friday Smiles.   I still haven't had time to go through the photos for the next area of the Museum of World Treasures, so all you get today are a few funnies I found when cleaning out my office last year.  I think you will also enjoy Big Larry's Burgers, too.


Apparently these are actual comments left on Forest Service comment cards by backpackers completing wilderness camping trips:
  • “A small deer came into my camp and stole my bag of pickles. Is there a way I can get reimbursed? Please call.”
  • “Escalators would help on steep uphill sections.”
  • “Instead of a permit system or regulations, the Forest Service needs to reduce worldwide population growth to limit the number of visitors to wilderness.”
  • “Trails need to be wider so people can walk while holding hands.”
  • “Ban walking sticks in wilderness. Hikers that use walking sticks are more likely to chase animals.”
  • “All the mile markers are missing this year.”
  • “Trails need to be reconstructed. Please avoid building trails that go uphill.”
  • “Too many bugs and leeches and spiders and spider webs. Please spray the wilderness to rid the area of these pests.”
  • “Please pave the trails so they can be plowed of snow in the winter.”
  • “Chair lifts need to be in some places so that we can get to wonderful views without having to hike to them.”
  • “The coyotes made too much noise last night and kept me awake. Please eradicate these annoying animals.”
  • “Reflectors need to be placed on trees every 50 feet so people can hike at night with flashlights.”
  • “Need more signs to keep area pristine.”
  • “A McDonald’s would be nice at the trailhead.”
  • “The places where trails do not exist are not well marked.”
  • “Too many rocks in the mountains.”

I am seriously laughing at some of these.  I think my internet friend Divers and Sundry, who enjoys hiking, will also find these comments hilarious.  Now let's head to Big Larry's which is in a town north of Wichita.  Please be aware, all prices are in U.S. dollars.


This had to be late September or early October when we visited Big Larry's

because the grass was still green and the tree leaves were just starting to turn colors.

This was overhead,

as was this, but without my glasses, I couldn't read the prices or the menu.  Too much going on to "get it."

That's when the woman behind the counter gave us a take-out menu.  We found a seat and looked over the menus.

I almost got the black bean burger, but changed my mind when I saw the Cheese Fries.

The lady brought our meals (Sally ordered some type of burger and I got cheese fries) and empty cups, which I proceeded to fill with water.  Sally was still filling hers when I took the photo.  It was then I realized they had made the ranch bacon cheese fries for me, instead of the plain cheese fries I'd ordered.  I wondered why the bill had been more than I expected and now I understood why.  I was originally going to send it back, but decided one day of non-vegetarian food wouldn't kill me.  And who doesn't like bacon?  I guess most vegetarians would have sent it back, though.

After we ate, I decided to take a few photos of the "art" on the walls.  Wouldn't this have made the perfect T Tuesday post?


It was almost 3:00 p.m., so it was time to take a few more photos and leave.


I'll let you peruse these at your own speed.


Yes, I'm that short!

You can't help but smile at some of these signs, like "clean my kitchen" and "keep the kitchen clean."

Make sure you watch your children!





That's definitely my mantra!

If these two signs don't make you smile, you must be a very sad person.  The one at the top left reads "Eat here and get gas!"



I totally agree!!!



The lady behind the counter told me Big Larry had a contest and these were the winners of children eight and under.


What a fun, fun place.  I loved seeing the signs and laughed even as I removed these from my camera.

Don't forget to visit Annie's Friday Smiles, where it never hurts to begin the weekend with a big smile, just like Annie's. Feel free to join in with a post of your own, too.  She'll welcome you just like she did me several years ago.

25 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful photos, my fave is, of course, 'Have another cup'. No surprise there. I'm off to the hospital this morning for the next examination! Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

Your funnies always make me laugh ! I love this vintage place and the meal and menue looks tempting to me and the signs are gorgeous - all of them! Happy Friday dear Co.-Admin!
Big hugs
Susi

Annie said...

Your funnies made me chuckle even though I don't actually believe some of them....just too stupid to be written by realy people. I really love all the signs on the walls...I think my fav would have to be the one that says keep the kitchen clean....eat out. :-)
Hugs,
Annie x

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I thoroughly enjoyed your blog post and photos. I laughed at some of those hiking trail comments. And I like the decor at the burger joint. I love vintage signs. The Booming Burger sounded great, from what I could read on the menu. And yes, this would have made a good T-Day post, too. I'm glad my GIMP tutorial was able to help you. If there are other things you routinely do and want to see if you can do them in GIMP, please let me know, and I'll write some more tutorials. (I might write some on features that I routinely use, in the meantime.)

My name is Erika. said...

I love these extra T day style posts. :) This place looks like a place I wouldn't mind eating at. And the prices are nice. I have discovered how our area has gotten more expensive here, at least compared to Wichita. I did get your comment too, I just hadn't had a chance to post it. Hope it's a great Friday. Hugs-Erika

Meggymay said...

This is a great post. I think the Friday smiles are super, it does make you wonder what folk expect when the go out into the countryside, they were all chuckle worthy.
I think I have said before how inexpensive it seems in the USA to eat out compared with the UK. You do seem to get value for money.
This ...not T day post... is fantastic, I loved all the photos and spent quite a while reading the signs on the walls.
Have a good day.
Yvonne xx

Gibby Frogett said...

What a great fun post Elizabeth - Had to read some of the comments to my hubby and I'm still smiling. The idea of widening the paths to be able to hold hands while walking was sweet :)
Have a great weekend Gill x

Lisca said...

Your funnies are beyond belief but they made me chuckle. The old wall plaques/adverts in the restaurant also made me smile. I liked the 'If you dig on swine etc' and the 'women al alwyas right' in particular.
Although fast food is not my thing, (I have visited the States x3 and I managed to lose weight each time as i didn't like the food.) the restaurant looks a really nice place. It must be very popular if it has been there for so long.
Have a lovely weekend,
Lisca

CJ Kennedy said...

The funnies were a great way to start a dreary Friday. Big Larry's looks great. So many menu choices. I love Bison burgers. The kitsch on the walls are fabulous. Funny, cheery. And the coffee cups would make this an ideal Tuesday spot. Enjoy your day!

kathyinozarks said...

looks like you got hit with a bunch of spam-ugh
great funnies-and I would eating at Big Lrrys-fun things on the walls and looks like a great menu
Happy friday Kathy

Let's Art Journal said...

Thanks for the smiles ...lol 😉. It looks like you chose a fabulous place to eat! All the wall signs are amazing, thanks for sharing! Wishing you a very Happy Friday and Weekend! J 😊 x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Great funnies this week. I have a friend who is keen on hiking, she will love these. The photographs are brilliant, what a great place. I love all the signs on the walls, fabulous collection. Have a nice Friday and lovely weekend, Angela xXx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Just popped back as I forgot to say the sewing machine was a Singer but I think they all looked pretty similar at that time. xXx

Jeanie said...

Larry's looks fun -- and delish too! and I loved today's smiles.

Thanks again for such nice comments in your visit and words of condolence. Have a lovely weekend!

Divers and Sundry said...

My favorite: “The places where trails do not exist are not well marked.” roflol But, you know I've actually been on those trails that don't exist ;)

I love Big Larry's. Great decor, and I love how they've done the paper towel dispensers. The food sounds tasty, and there'd be enough variety so I could try different things. I'd definitely go back -and then go back again -but my first order would hafta be the Big Larry, fried mushrooms and onion rings. Or maybe the mushroom swiss burger and sweet potato tots. Or... You see why I'd have to go back :)

Happy T Friday ;)

Julia Dunnit said...

Oh fun place, just my cup of tea for a nice cheap eat and some people watching. I looked hard at the newspaper pieces and decided that big Larry is big because he’s older, not because he’s reeeaaaallly tall! The hiking funnies are so believable, my Sis and her partner are very fond of Utah’s canyons and often have stories to tell about hikers and their slightly idiot comments!
I see the Arabic marketers have found you too....I translated them when they cropped up on my blog and they’re just adverts for shops, nothing sinister. I deleted them and they seem, for now, to have stopped bothering.

sheila 77 said...

I did enjoy my trip to Big Larry's, so different from the cafes here. All the signs were fun and I did appreciate the one about having another cup of coffee but it's late evening so maybe I won't. What fun that you and Sally eat at so many different places.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

crackin up at the comments; ☺☺☺☺☺☺☺ they bee hill larry uz az da tabbies would say; and what a neat diner; the signage is awesome !!

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

What a great place to eat Elizabeth, you must be like me and never want to cause a fuss if a meal is not quite what I ordered, after all it's rare for me to have a meal cooked by anyone other than myself.
So much to read and chuckle about upon the walls, I did laugh about the men/woman ~ left & right one and of course the gas haa haa!
Thank you for the smiles raised today and your kind words earlier. Very much appreciated.
Wishing you a super weekend Tracey xx

Rita said...

Loved the comments to the Forest Service!!
You guys go to the most interesting places. :)

aussie aNNie said...

Interesting place this Larry's burgers, love all the fabulous things on the wall...it would certainly distract you if the burger was unpleasant.x

Sami said...

Your funnies were really funny, lol.
Love all that art on the walls of the restaurant.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Funny all round- except for your order being wrong! Must the the hiking funnies made me laugh more because I might agree with some of them soon!!!! Hugs,Chrisx

RO said...

OMG! Apparently Larry was thinking of me when he created this fabulous restaurant, and a few of those hamburger decorations on the wall I need right now! What great choices to try, and I would even check out the black bean burger one. You really captured the fun of this restaurant, and they need one in every state. Thanks so much! Hugs...RO

mamapez5 said...

Your funnies raised a smile as usual. There are some strange folk around, or at least some folk who think in a strange way!
Larry's doesn't look like a first choice of place to go for a vegetarian. They like their meat in Spain too, and vegetarian options are a bit thin on the ground, though they are creeping in for the British folk. This style of USA food doesn't appeal to me, but your life-style is so very different to mine, and as such places go, it looks a very good one. It is always good to share a meal with a good friend so I am happy for you. Kate xx