Wednesday, February 27, 2019

February nearly complete and March ready to write in, plus an entry in my Challenges altered book


It's the final day of the month of February, and I am sharing my puny calendar with you.

I admit it's a bit more colorful than in years past, but I have no idea what I was thinking when I used that large TH rubber stamp that took up four spaces/days in my calendar.  It was certainly hard to write anything in on those days.  You see today is blank, because I will fill it out at the end of the day, as I do every day.

March has been photographed and is ready to write in.  The idea I was trying to convey was March is all about college basketball, and although I don't usually watch college sports, I had a stamp with a basketball in it.  I don't own a shamrock stamp, or would have used it.

I further have one final entry for Rike's yellow theme at Art Journal Journey.  But that's not all.  For this last day of February, I have a three-fer.

This two page spread in my Challenges altered book honors Art Journal Journey with Rike's yellow theme, Moo-Mania and More with their Woman theme, and Try it on Tuesday with their Powder Your * * *  theme.  I call it a Woman of spirit and capacity, which I took from the tag on the left side.

I realized after I stamped and embossed the rubber stamp shaped like a tag (made by Hero Arts), the background, created using my handmade shimmering mists and salt, was actually interfering with the stamping.

I used the same gold embossing powder on the right side, too.

Highly detailed stamps, like the Live Art, are harder to see in photos, but much prettier when you look at the results in a book or on a page.

It may depend on the angle from which you are viewing the image,

or the amount of salt left embedded on the background paper.

Perhaps removing some of the color from the photo might help.

This daVinci inspired rubber stamp turned out better than I anticipated.

It's really sad you can barely see the woman's face in the heart.  At least in this photo, you can clearly see where I got the title.

It's obvious I've created this in my Challenges altered book.  For the background, I began with a sheet of 8.5 x 11 inch yellow copier paper.  To it, I sprayed some of my handmade shimmering mists made from mica powders.  While wet, I poured sea salt on the mists.  I allowed the mists to dry, then removed as much salt as would come off.  I then inked three women themed rubber stamps using VersaMark.  After applying my handmade pouncer to keep my embossing powders in check, I stamped the three stamps.  I then heat embossed using gold embossing powder.

Thank you for joining me today, as I shared my February calendar page and my latest entry I created for Art Journal Journey, Moo-Mania and More, and Try it on Tuesday.   I hope to see you at these three challenge blogs, too.  However, you will only find my calendar pages on this blog.  So again, thanks for visiting.  I appreciate it.

18 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Your calendar looks full, have fun filling the new one. The journal pages have a very interesting background. Enjoy your day, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

Super well done with the calendar of February . You know I am a fan of your calendar journaling. As I never mind calendars I make "bad" mistakes with the dates often...lol!!! You know I mean my latest mistake with years ..lol!
I am in awe of the effects you got on this amazing spread. Such a wonderful background and this embossed stamps turned out beautifully and it makes a brilliant page with the gold embossing! WOW!!!Gorgeous!
You really are a combining queen of Mixed Media to pay off Art Journal Journey, Try It On Tuesday and Moo Mania & More at one sweep! Triple thanks from me today dear Elizabeth!
Big hugs, Susi

Cath Wilson said...

Wonderful spread and fab calendar pages, Elisabeth - my life just isn't busy enough to fill in a calendar these days, lol, but you never seem to have enough space for yours! LOVE that da Vinci stamp - I have it somewhere - and used to use it a lot but maybe I should get it out again later today. The embossing worked well on the texture - it isn't easy to emboss over texture or even on a journal page. I emboss almost everything, so it's something I have to work hard to perfect.
Your art is so varied and so expressive. Thank you so much for taking part in the Try it on Tuesday challenge again.
Cath x

sheila 77 said...

I admire you for keeping up with your diary (always fascinating to read another's diary) although I see you have had some help from one of the resident cats who obviously jumped in to fill in the entry for the 3rd.
I'm impressed with your stamping and embossing, I've never tried embossing, I suppose you have to use the special powder.
I wonder if we will continue to use yellow after Rike's marvellous yellow month.

Rike said...

Your February calendar page is now full - so much personality on the whole page! - and March is waiting for your words!
Your last entry for the yellow challenge is very well textured, I like this embossing! The gold embossing powder is so gorgeous!
Thank you for a wonderful last piece for my theme at AJJ! I appreciate it!
Wish you a happy day and rest of the week! Rike xx

Meggymay said...

It looks like February was a busy month and your new page for next month I'm sure will fill up as the days pass over. The journal spread looks fantastic, its not easy embossing with detailed images and I think yours turned out very well and the stamps you used are beautiful. Thank you for another wonderful contribution to the current TioT's theme Elizabeth and the inspiration you share.
Yvonne xx

Divers and Sundry said...

I loved how you combined the challenges into a coherent whole. I do really like your background paper and think I'd be tempted to frame that on its own :) Lovely!

Jeanie said...

Boy, those powders provide great texture and I love the parchment look of the paper. This is beautiful, Elizabeth.

My name is Erika. said...

Nice to see all the color you used this month on your calendar. Perfect. I can’t believe it is March 1 tomorrow and we are heading home. The week flew and the month flew and maybe spring arrive really soon for both of us. Happy new month. Hugs Erika

Cindy McMath said...

I always enjoy seeing your calendar pages Elizabeth! Your yellow page is just lovely. The colours are beautiful. I also missed your kitten page from the day before which I also adore! You’ve done a great job all month with yellow!

Words and Pictures said...

Your salty background is just beautiful - and I adore the embossed textures of the stamping. I can see the woman, just subtly there, with that gentle expression, and the title is beautiful too. A great three-fer!
Alison x

Let's Art Journal said...

Beautiful pages! I love the colour combination that you chose and the texture of the powders looks amazing 😁. Thanks so much for joining us at Try it on Tuesday! J 😊 x

Rita said...

Ready for another month. I'm not usually such a fan of yellow but it is a cheery color, for sure. Seen a lot of it this month--LOL! Growing on me. :)

pearshapedcrafting said...

A brilliant three-fer! I love your journal pages - February flew by but then it is a short month!! I adore your journal spread, the gorgeous colours and the embossing looks as though it is real gold! I would love to stroke this page for sure! Thank you so much for joining us at Try it on Tuesday! Chrisx

Joan said...

Beautiful textures and embossing

Thanks for joining us at Try It On Tuesday challenge

Joan

RO said...

It's always cool to look at your calendar for the month, and I love looking at your creative art journal too. Sure hope you're feeling 100% better these days. Hopefully, I can get back to working on my Planner sometime this week. Hugs...RO

Mrs.B said...

Your February calendar certainly looks busy!
Love the gorgeous shades on your journal pages with the delicate gold stamping.
Its always such a shame when the shimmers of he gold don't always show up in photos, but the shimmer and textures of the pages themselves looks amazing.
Lovely to see you sharing this with us at Try it on Tuesday.
Avril xx

Caty said...

those calendars are so Gorgeous Elizabeth ! Love them. Love your so beautiful Art pages too. The shimmers are great, you always know how to use them, just Wonderful !
Sorry to miss this fabulous entry, I don´t know why I didn´t see it before.
I wish you a very nice afternoon
Big hugs, Caty