Friday, March 1, 2019

Friday Smiles 310 and a new host at Art Journal Journey


I'm sharing two different things today.  First, I'm sure you can tell, I'm here for Annie's Friday Smiles.   There will be no photos from the Museum of World Treasures because we have a new host at Art Journal Journey. I'll begin with a few funnies I found when cleaning out my office last year, then introduce our new host for March at Art Journal Journey.

Everyone seems to enjoy church bloopers, so here are a few more:

The eighth graders will be presenting Shakespeare's "Hamlet" in the church basement on Friday at 7 p.m. The congregation is invited to attend this tragedy.

Please place your donation in the envelope along with the deceased person(s) you want remembered.


Attend and you will hear an excellent speaker and heave a healthy lunch.  

Mrs. Johnson will be entering the hospital this week for testes.

Our next song is "Angels We Have Heard Get High." 

Don't let worry kill you; let the church help. 

Remember in prayer the many who are sick of our church and community. 

Thursday at 5:00 PM there will be a meeting of the Little Mother's Club. All ladies wishing to become "Little Mothers" will meet with the Pastor in his study. 

Tuesday at 4:00 P.M. there will be an ice cream social. All ladies giving milk will please come early. 

This afternoon there will be a meeting in the South and North ends of the church. Children will be baptized at both ends. 

The rosebud on the altar this morning is to announce the birth of David Alan Belzer, the sin of Rev. and Mrs. Julius Belzer. 


Now it's time to meet our new host at Art Journal Journey for the month of March.  It is the extremely talented Jo from Let's Art Journal.  Her theme this month is Hello Springtime.  This can include spring flowers, nature, or even the change in seasons, since spring indicates change.  Jo often shares words and pictures that represent what is going on in her life at the time.  I'm always amazed at how she can share a journal page that corresponds to something happening in her life at the time she creates the journal entry.

I want to begin by telling you the story behind this entry.   A few days ago, one of my no-name, no-photo friends asked me to come help her daughter with a craft project that was required at school.

"You can cut all the flowers but you

cannot keep Spring from coming."

This quote is by Pablo Neruda.

My friend is a fashionista.  If you want to know about the latest fashion, the latest great book, place to dine, best charity to back, or anything else that is hot, ask her.  She also indulges her daughter, much to the chagrin at times of her lawyer husband.

If it's a craft project, my friend is clueless!  She can buy fine art, but has no idea how to create it.

Naturally, she thought of me, since I'm the only "member" of this no-name, no-photos group who has even a casual interest in creating art.

She told me her daughter wanted to make shaving cream paper.  When she asked her daughter how you get paper out of shaving cream, she said her daughter merely rolled her eyes and said to ask Elizabeth.

I explained I had all the materials we would need, except good watercolor paper.  She went out and bought 30 sheets of 140 lb watercolor paper and asked if that would be enough.  I laughed and said it would be enough to cover 10 projects.

I had the dye inks, the tools, the shaving cream, and the pan to hold the shaving cream mix.

When we started, my friend's daughter had a specific plan.  She wanted to create flowers. 

I had brought a bamboo skewer, and this young lady is talented!   I helped set up by pouring the shaving cream into the pan and leveling it.  I showed her how to drizzle a few drops of dye ink on the shaving cream.  

She took over from there.

  I certainly don't have her talent, but I was able to show her how to press and remove the paper from the shaving cream.  

As a result, I was the recipient of one of these floral beauties.  I brought it home and found a quote that fit it perfectly.

For this page, I began with a sheet of 140 lb watercolor paper.  My friend's daughter drew the flowers and I pulled the print.  The final entry was created using shaving cream, dye inks, a white doily, a rose button, and computer generated text.  Needless to say, we were all happy, and I was fed a fabulous meal, too.  As an aside, for the life of me, I can't figure out why my font keeps changing, no matter what I do.

Now it's time to join Jo, Susi, Bleubeard, and me at Art Journal Journey.  We want to see your journal pages, altered book spreads, loose large pages, canvases, scrapbook pages, and digital art.  However, we cannot accept cards, tags, or ATCs.  Unfortunately, they will be deleted.

Also, don't forget to visit Annie at A Stitch in Time, with her weekly Friday Smiles.   She would love for you to visit her and share your own smile, too!

20 thoughtful remarks:

froebelsternchen said...

She is a natural and you are the best ever art teacher! This turned out UNIQUE and simply wonderful and with the added quote it looks HEAVENLY!!!
I hope they left you with the the big rest of the good paper ...lol!
A wonderful first entry for Jo's theme. THANK YOU! ♥♥♥ I am thrilled about it and I will now, after I wrote here, enjoy the funnies of this week! Thank you !

Happy March, happy AJJ - happy weekend my lovely friend and Co.-Admin!

Hugs, Susi

Annie said...

Your funnies really had me laughing out loud this morning...just imagine all the breast feeding mummies being used for making the icecream.....I wonder if they freeze it in situ? ;-)
What a talented young artist you've been helping Elizabeth. It's always lovely to help them then see them go the extra mile usung their own creativity....wonderful.
Hugs,
Annie x

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

It's wonderful to start the weekend off with a funny or two.
What fabulous movement in those flowers they really are beautiful and a fabulous found quote, never a truer word for Spring... it needs to be sprung.
Wishing you a super weekend Elizabeth, I know I have probably missed many of your posts over the past couple of weeks so I apologise for that but it's good to be here today on the 1st day of March.
Hugs Tracey xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, how amazing that this was made using shaving foam! It must have been fun creating this paper with her and showing her this technique and the resulting flowers are so so pretty 😁. I love how you used the paper with the doily and fabulous quote - perfect! Thanks so much for having me as guest host this month over at AJJ and for your kind words! Happy March, Friday and weekend dear Bleubeard & Elizabeth! J 😊 x

CJ Kennedy said...

What a wonderful teacher you are. That paper is gorgeous and the embellishments just make it WOW!. Loved the church funnies, too.

Divers and Sundry said...

Great flowers! She's a natural, isn't she! And now shaving cream is something else I hafta buy lol

Cindy McMath said...

Such a very cool idea! I have marbled papers with shaving cream but never have thought about intentionally trying to make shapes. That girl is going places with her art! And I love the page you made with it too!

Mia said...

Amazing page, Elizabeth. She is great but you helped her so much. Kisses, my friend.

Lisca said...

Well, you are an excellent teacher! A new-to-her technique and she has done a great job! Well done both of you. The result is stunning.
I did laugh a lot at your funnies. Sometimes a spelling mistake, or a wrong wording can make a situation so comic. It proves that proofreaders are very necessary. I giggled at the 'Little mums' and the milk giving ladies. They are all good! I will them out to my husband over dinner.
Have a lovely weekend,
Lisca

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I laughed at your funnies. And your friend's daughter has great talent. The flower page is beautiful.

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful page! Valerie

Jeanie said...

This should be a fun theme! And fun funnies, too!

Thanks for your visit. I need to check to see if my back up was only one day. It seemed to take forever just to LOAD the back-up (it downloaded relatively fast.)

pearshapedcrafting said...

The funnies certainly are funny - set my wicked imagination going though!! How lovely your page looks and how great you got to help out this talented young friend! Hugs, Chrisx ps You can see I am on a catchup!!

Mrs.B said...

Hi Elizabeth, I'm still giggling to myself after reading your funnies!
A lovely post, I really enjoyed reading about your friends daughter and the experiment with the shaving foam. This turned out so well, the flowers are so pretty and you've used a lovely quote.
Thanks for the recent comments, I do appreciate them.
Avril xx

da tabbies o trout towne said...

this art piece is really really REALLY great !!! an amazing job by your friend's daughter, Elizabeth......and the funnies are hysterical this week...thanx for sharing !! ☺☺♥♥

Meggymay said...

Those funnies get better each week, these ones certainly appealed to my sense of humour.
I love the beautiful flowers created with the shaving foam technique, they look so delicate and springlike. It sounds like you all had a good day.
Yvonne xx

Caty said...

Love your funnies Elizabeth !! :) And Love this so so Gorgeous Art page, the flowers are wonderful, the colours and the quote fabulous. So beautiful rose!! and the doily gives the page an unique design ! Great Art !
I wish you a very happy weekend, and send big hugs
Take care ! Caty

Rita said...

Love the jokes. Pretty page--so delicate. :)

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I am still here Elizabeth but I was enjoying the funnies so much that I've read them all out to hubby and he loves them too. Sorry for being so late and hoping your weather is not too bad. Take care and happy weekend, Angela, Maisie and Stan xXx

mamapez5 said...

Hi Elizabeth. I am even later than you visiting, but we all have lives aside from blogging, and sometimes it has to come first.
As you know, I am not really into Art Journals, but this page is really pretty and a lovely story about its creation too. I used to enjoy the shaving cream technique with my little ones in my nursery, though the results were somewhat messier than this!
I see you are having fonts problems like me, but I have to say, yours has no changes in the view I see, so maybe mine was alright for everyone else too.
More funnies to make me smile again this week. You seem to have an unending supply of them!
Hope the storm does not leave you cut off for too long. Stay safe. Kate x