Saturday, January 5, 2019

Sailing into the sunset


Alison, aka Craftytrog's Arty Adventures, is our host this month at Art Journal Journey.  Her theme is Geometric Shapes and, as a former math major, I am in LOVE with this theme.
I call this one Sailing into the Sunset.




I began this page taken from a Plane Geometry book by creating a sunset using my wonderful water soluble crayons gifted me by Cindy two years ago.  Most of the colors were too subtle for this very old, brown paper, but the sun, setting in the background really showed through.

The geometric shapes I chose were two triangles, one of which was supposed to be an isosceles, but turned out more an equilateral or right angle, like the other one.  There is also a long, skinny rectangle, and the boat is an isosceles trapezoid, which, as I'm sure you know  you might possibly know, is a quadrilateral and a type of polygon.  They were colored using watercolor pencils and watercolors.

Thanks for looking and thanks to Alison for her inspiring geometric shapes this month.  I hope to see you at Art Journal Journey, too.

17 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

That's a lovely boat, great way to show the shapes. I remember trying to get the kids at school to learn all the different sorts of triangles in the fifth class. Enjoy your day, Valerie

craftytrog said...

I adore your little sailing boat and those beautiful bright colours Elizabeth! It's a wonderful entry for my challenge at AJJ!
Alison xox

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Isn't it funny how shapes form an instant pattern within our minds. When Alison announced her theme I thought of a boat straight away.. Must be from my pre-school days like Valerie somethings are hard to shake. Good use of those watercolour crayons, such a useful tool.
Saturday Hugs Tracey x

froebelsternchen said...

I love this Elizabeth! Your ship is so pretty on this amazing background! Gorgeous!
Happy Saturday! Thank you for a lovely entry for the AJJ collection!
Big hugs, Susi

RO said...

I like the colors and creativity of the boat. Hugs and happy Saturday! RO

Sami said...

I love that you used a Geometry page for your background, looks very interesting :)
Have a lovely weekend Elizabeth.

Jeanie said...

This one makes me really happy! I could see that framed at a lake house, it's so cheerful.

I don't know that I ever knew (or remembered) that you were a math major. This will be a fun series of challenges for you!

CJ Kennedy said...

The background for you sailboat is perfect. I'd love to sail out of Winter.

My name is Erika. said...

I think the background is amazing. You are really lucky to have that geometry book. I like how you colored it and then added the sailboat. Which by the way is very nice shapes too. Makes me want to have it be summer right now so I can be out in the boat. Smile. Dreams are nice. Have a great Saturday. Hugs-Erika

Mia said...

This is a really inspiring page, Elizabeth. I love the simplicity of the design and the bright colours. Hugs, my friend.

Meggymay said...

I love your boat/yacht sailing at sunset.Its a fantastic page. The crayons for the background skies give really pretty soft colour shades.
I have to admit to be struggling a bit with this new theme, but I'm not going to give up.
Yvonne xx

Cindy McMath said...

Wow - love this page Elizabeth! First of all I like how the geometry page shows through. And I love the background it creates with the wc crayons. But your boat is the star attraction - perfect use of geometric shapes. I’m going to say I forgot what shape the hull was - I’m sure I knew at some point, but not being a math super fan (despite my name) it’s one of those facts discarded long ago to make room for new things.

kathyinozarks said...

great piece Elizabeth

aussie aNNie said...

Beautiful and lovely post, the boat reminds me of hubby sailing his boat on our lake here.xx

Darla said...

Clever and colorful. Perfect for the challenge. I like the combination of the colors.

Neet said...

Have now forgotten most of the names of the geometric shapes I learned when at school. My geometry teacher was my favourite one so i did try my best in his classes - until he up and left :(
Love the way you have incorporated the shapes on Geometry paper and how you have turned them into a boat. Great thinking.
Hugs, Neet xx

Divers and Sundry said...

I love how the math and the boat's shapes come together for the geometric shapes challenge. What a fun combination!