Sunday, January 6, 2019

Pink cat under a pink tree


Recently, my dear art friend Sheila of Orange Esmeralda fame, shared a pink cat she drew.  It was adorable and got me thinking (something I do on occasion).  Some of you are probably aware that Alison, aka Craftytrog's Arty Adventures, is our host this month at Art Journal Journey.  Her theme is Geometric Shapes.  That means today I am paying homage to Alison's theme AND Sheila's adorable pink cat.

I call this one pink cat under a pink tree.


If the background looks vaguely familiar, it's because it was part of my September Second Thursday Tutorial.  At the time, I had no idea how handy it would come in as a background to this pink tree.


The lighting was horrible, and my drawing is a bit bad,

OK, really bad when I tried to add whiskers, but I still am happy with this adorable pink cat.

For this page, which is 110 lb. cardstock, I began by adding dye inks to the stamp I made in September.  Then I added lots and lots and lots (actually, too many, I fear) of pink foam triangles.  These triangles were easy to cut from sheets of foam using my guillotine cutter.  They didn't want to be glued together, though, and I ended up using three different glues in order to get them to stick together and to the cardstock.   The cat was drawn on a piece of printer/copier paper, then colored and cut out.  Obviously, my main geometric shape is the triangle, and the cat has a circle head, triangle ears, and oval body.  The background is sort of wonky squares within squares.

Thanks for visiting, thanks for your continued support, and thanks to Alison for her inspiring geometric shapes this month.  I hope to see you at Art Journal Journey, too.  We'd love to have you join us.


21 thoughtful remarks:

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

I was unsure where you were going with those triangles at first Elizabeth and at first glance I thought they may have been stairs because of the tapered pattern, but up close I see your sweet little pink cat hiding under it all. Waiting to catch a glimpse of a bird or to hide more Christmas Pressies!
Cute idea The background shape looks like it is about to consume it all..!!
Happy Sunday Tracey x

froebelsternchen said...

I adore this pretty little pnk cat under the huge pink tree! What a fun and clever idea and good use of the background! Another fantastic page for the GEOMETRIC SHAPES theme! Thank you for all your wonderful inspiration! I am impressed again how much ideas you have and how clever and artsy you put your ideas into action!
Happy Sunday dear Co.-Admin!
Big hugs,

Susi

sheila 77 said...

Hello Elizabeth.
What a lovely post. The first paragraph actually brought a tear to my eye. I adore your pink tree standing tall and of course I love, love your pink cat, so sweet and happy under the tree, a kitten maybe? I always knew you could draw because drawing is not about making a perfect likeness (who cares about that? Take a photo!) but about having an idea of which you have many, many original ideas. I like your background too and it's great to reuse an earlier artwork but the kitten steals the show with her eyes and pretty ears and special gold whiskers.
Love from Sheila

craftytrog said...

Absolutely wonderful!!! I adore your pink cat page Elizabeth! It's perfect for the challenge.
Happy Sunday,
Alison xox

kaybee said...

Everyone should have a pink cat! Happy January!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Great idea and lovely art piece. Your cat drawing looks fine.

Jeanie said...

a) It's pink. b) It's a cat. c) It's a tree that looks like a Christmas tree. Three reasons why I love this piece! Enjoy the rest of the weekend, my friend!

CJ Kennedy said...

You pink cat (though he looks more red on my monitor) is just too cute under his giant pink tree. Ink loved to hang out under the Christmas tree so your cat under the tree made me smile.

Meggymay said...

I love, love the sweet pink cat. It looks so tiny under your spectacular pink tree. Its a super background as well. A fabulous page and the tree looks like a tree not like my offering the other day.
Have a good Sunday.
Yvonne xx

My name is Erika. said...

I actually love your pink cat. He looks a bit afraid of the pink tree though, but I like the pink tree and the 3d effect. You are thinking of such good ideas for geometric shapes and I am coming up with zero right now except for throwing them down on a page in helter skelter. I think I need to start thinking of objects and the shapes that make them up, but you have that down pat already! I am impressed. Hope you have a super Sunday and start to the new week. Hugs-Erika

Let's Art Journal said...

Your pink cat is so cute and looks adorable under your pink tree! I love being inspired by others and Sheila always captures my imagination with her creativity 😁. What a beautiful make and that's one fabulous background too! Wishing you a happy weekend! J 😊 x

Cindy McMath said...

Well I love the way you’re approaching this geometric challenge. The tree is a clever use of triangles. I have never used that foam stuff so I can’t recommend a glue. Although you could look at the site “This to That” - they might have something. I adore your cute little cat! And the background stamp you made is great!

Words and Pictures said...

I was so taken with your geometric tree that I didn't notice the cat at first! And that background is fabulous, so full of colour, energy and movement... a lovely break from a grey January day here.
Alison x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth, the little cat looks so cute hidden under the tree, love him. I'm loving the tree and the background too. I think if I was gluing the foam I would probably have used a hot glue gun and applied it in thin lines. Happy creative weekend, Angela xxx

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful page, lovely colours. I'm late today, it's already bed time here. Valerie

Little Artbee said...

Great page and the tiny cat looks sweet under that big big tree.
Dear Greetings
Sabine

Divers and Sundry said...

Definitely _not_ too many, no! I love how those triangles come together for the tree, and that cute kitty :) That's such a creative page, and so different from the boat. I like the varied nature of your art.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Hello and stop in from Low Carb and I also like a challenges. This year for art I'm doing a picture a month. It will be posted friday when I do Paint Party Friday. But also part of art challenge I'm doing two tarot cards a month.
Hope you have time to stop in for a cup of coffee

aussie aNNie said...

LOVE your amazing work of art. The tree is awesome and love the drawing of the cat, very impressive and cute.xx

Sami said...

Lovely tree and cat Elizabeth :)

Jerold said...

I want to use this opportunity to appreciate Dr Ekpen for the good work that his doing around the world, many of you must have ahead of him and what his doing. The reason why I'm appreciating him on this site is because maybe someone out there is facing the same challenge and he/she don't know what to do next to fix the issue, Dr Ekpen is a great spell caster and friendly also, if you have problem in your relationship you can contact him right way and he will be clad to help you out. Contact him now via email at ekpentemple@gmail.com or on whatsaap +2347050270218.