Friday, December 21, 2018

Autumn turns to winter


You probably know by now that Bleubeard and I are hosting Art Journal Journey this month.  Our themes are My Favorite Season or 'Tis the Season.


Today Bleubeard and I are celebrating the winter solstice in the northern hemisphere.

This is when "Autumn turns to

winter."  During December the winter solstice occurs in the northern hemisphere and the summer solstice occurs in the southern hemisphere. In other words at this solstice, it is the beginning of winter in the UK, the USA, Canada, Russia, India, and China, making it is the shortest day of the year, while it is the beginning of summer in Australia, Argentina, Chile, New Zealand, and South Africa where it is the longest day of the year.

I was surprised how dark the light is that comes in through my winter windows.  Winter has arrived in more ways than one.





For this spread, I began by laying down a sheet of 110 lb. card stock to cover the words on the page.  For the left side, I used water soluble crayons to create a background. To that I added two skeleton leaves sent to me by my friend Kaybee.  She also sent the beige leaf I used for the winter scene.  For the right side, I painted some crystal Stickles to the background.  I used a watered down pale beige color wash on the white page before I added the Stickles to the bottom area.  I then added the computer generated text I treated the same way as each side's background.

For the left side, I used one glue dot on the bottom of the lower leaf.  It held both leaves in place and attached to the page.  For the right side, I used a single glue dot, but had to place the word over the dot because it was too sticky without something covering it other than the thin leaf. 

Bleubeard and I are elated you chose to join us today and hope to also see you at Art Journal Journey where our themes are Favorite Season or 'Tis the Season. Enjoy your solstice today, too, regardless on which side of the equator you live.



16 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

Love this page!

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful page. As a kid I was always disappointed that my birthday was on the shortest day of the year, I thought I got less birthday than other people! Valerie

craftytrog said...

It's a beautiful spread Elizabeth, I love the skeleton leaves and backgrounds.
Happy Winter Solstice!
Alison xox

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous pages! You have captured autumn and winter beautifully with the colours and pretty skeleton leaves 😁. Happy Friday and wishing you a wonderful weekend too! J 😊 x

froebelsternchen said...

Happy Winter Solstice dear Elizabeth!
This pages are incredible! I am in love with them!
You created just the perfect feeling of autumn turning into winter - AMAZING!
You really rock this Art Journal Journey December with your wonderful art!

Hugs, Susi

My name is Erika. said...

This is outstanding my friend. I love how with so little you said so much. And besides all that, it is quite pretty! It's a nice way to celebrate the solstice. Happy almost weekend. Hugs-Erika

kaybee said...

Fabulous to see what you did with the skeleton leaves - just love the strong and simple layout.
Happy Winter Solstice!

kathyinozarks said...

Great page-autumn to winter Loved it!
Merry Christmas Kathy

CJ Kennedy said...

Happy Winter Solstice, though I'd be happier if we were celebrating the Summer Solstice. I like the transition you created with the leaves and the coloring on the pages. At least after today, the light will gradually increase. Now there's a happy thought.

Jeanie said...

I love the progression of the leaf colors (and skeleton leaves are a favorite of mine.) I especially love the timing, as we enter the Solstice. It's perfection.

Krisha said...

Stunning work E! Yes, I'm still around....LOL! Thanks for the visit to my dusty ole blog. It really felt good to post again. I'm planning on staying in the saddle now that I am sitting upright in it again.
Merry Christmas!!

Divers and Sundry said...

Perfect for the winter solstice! It's a huge seasonal marker, isn't it, and so often ignored in the midst of Christmas preparations.

Meggymay said...

A gorgeous journal spread. I love how you used the skeleton autumn leaves and how the beautiful the cream one looks against the sparkles on the winter background.
Yvonne xx

Lowcarb team member said...

Love your art here.
Happy Winter Solstice :)

All the best Jan

Rita said...

What beautiful leaves! :)

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! I love this Elizabeth! I have some of those leaves....somewhere!!! Hugs, Chrisx