Monday, December 24, 2018

365 Day Art Challenge: week 51 and Merry Christmas (Eve)


Here are my collages for Week 51.  This 365 something project was created in part and hosted by Hanna at i Hanna.  

In case you missed them, here are Week 50's collages.  As I'm sure you know by now, I post every Monday morning for the previous week.  All my collages are 4" X 4" (10,16 cm X 10,16 cm).

Primordial soup


Urban stones


Contents on hold


Breakwater


Matrix


Industrial chaos


Passion
If you are playing in Hanna's 365 Something project, please let me know and I will be by to see what you are making.  Please let me know if you like any of these.  As always, I am extremely grateful for your continued support of this project and my art.

But that's not all today.  Since Bleubeard and I are hosting Art Journal Journey this month,
we have a journal page for you that represents our Favorite Season.

My friend Scott asked me what I wanted for Christmas, and I told him I wanted to find my screw and fix my sewing machine.   Lo and behold, he showed up and looked for my screw.  I even showed him how I had shaken the machine thinking the screw was no longer inside the machine.  However, when he shook the machine, the screw promptly fell out.  I was dancing around my craft room with glee.  Since my fingernails are long, and since I have no pinch grip, he inserted the teeny tiny almost microscopic screw into the hole that controls the metal bars and diagonal teeth that holds my feed dogs in place.  From there, I was able to quickly reassemble the machine.  I even tried it before Scott left the room to make sure it was working properly.  I was truly happy.  It is definitely a Christmas to remember.

Of course, I had to do a bit of my wonky sewing.

It's time to wish you and your loved ones a very Merry Christmas if you celebrate it.  Because the left side was filled with whimsy, I wanted something a bit more sophisticated for the right side.

  I'm just getting in under the wire of Moo Mania and More's Angels theme.

The angels are also wishing you a very merry Christmas.

I fell in love with these Christmas angel playing cards.

Don't ask me why, but I thought these postage stamps looked like they belonged with the angels.

It's too bad the lighting wasn't the best, but at least it was better than my dark dining room where the light shines through the slats of the mini-blinds and puts what looks like bars across the journal pages.

For this spread I used watercolor paper and colored it using Staz-on reinkers mixed with 91% alcohol.  I love this technique because there is NEVER any warp to the pages.  After a bit of wonky sewing, I then adhered the substrate to the book, which hid several tables and lots of words.

For the left page, I began by sewing the tag to the substrate.  I then added the cardinal and the Christmas 2018 images that I thought complimented the decked out snowman with cardinals that perched on his hat and shoulders.

For the right page, I began by coloring corrugated cardboard in both blue and green ink.  I added a piece of washi tape to the smaller image, added a piece of cardboard I colored using green ink, then added the playing card and glittery sewing thread.  The larger corrugated cardboard also got both green and blue ink, but in place of washi tape, I added the two postage stamps, another green inked strip of cardboard and more sewing thread I hoped conveyed movement.

I wasn't finished making art today, though.  I have two tags for Wilma's Hearth and Home theme at Tag Tuesday

This first one honors home, because I am coming home for Christmas.

I loved this image of the church in the moonlight, but was frustrated that I cut most of the moon and stars away from this purchased tag.

A bit of collage, a December calendar, and a holly sticker combine with a computer generated sentiment colored using water soluble crayons.

My second tag was obviously handmade using corrugated cardboard for a background.

Santa is coming down the chimney, showing the hearth part of Wilma's Hearth and Home theme.

I couldn't believe how much water soluble crayon the cardboard soaked up.  I must have gone over it at least four times and more in some spots.

The Santa image, which qualifies for Try it on Tuesday's Guess who's coming? Santa! theme, was from my Night Before Christmas book.  Although the book is in glorious color, I scanned the image and printed it using my laser printer which (as well as my ink jet printer) has only black ink/toner.   I tried to color Santa, the stockings, the hearth and mantel, and the clock and pieces sitting on the mantel.   

Since I am driven by color, I was a bit surprised when the ribbon I chose was not the same color as the clock.  I chose more of the glittery sewing thread for a bit of interest and movement.

This tag was created using corrugated cardboard, water soluble crayons, a scanned and colored image, crinkle ribbon from my stash, and white glitter sewing thread.

Bleubeard and I are simply thrilled you chose to join us on this very special day and hope to also see you at Moo Mania and More with their Angels theme, Try it on Tuesday with their Guess who's coming? Santa! theme, Tag Tuesday with their Hearth and Home theme, and Art Journal Journey with our My favorite season or 'Tis the season themes.  We'll be back later today to share a special T Tuesday with you, too.


19 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

I Love the little collages, and this time the first one is my fave, really fantastic. Great angel journal page, too. I just discovered a large box full of Christmas images - too late for this year! LOVE those tags, thanks so much for joining us at Tag Tuesday. I got a huge box of crayons in deep, jewel-like colours for my birthday, can't wait to play with them. Have a fun day, and I'm glad Scot got the machine repaired, that's a great present. Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

Your wonderful post today is like handing out the presents! WOW! The collages are amazing, I specially love the "Urban Stones" this week and your wonderful spread is simply gorgeous! Those angel cards are fabulous to use and yes the german postage stamps fit perfectly and the most fantastic christmas wonder is that your machine is mended again! Scott is Mr.Santa! An engeneering heroe!
I love that you instantly used the sewing machine to add stitches to your wonderful spread! Gorgeous !
And those really beautiful made tags! So festive!
You made all challenges happy with your wonderful art today!
Thank you for all the ideas for AJJ and the hard work on hosting this month and thank you for supporting Moo Mania & More and Try It On Tuesday so well! YOu know how much we appreciate this!

We got snow today - I am not very glad though since we will have a 4 hours drive tomorrrow...hope the weather stays driver friendly for us.

• ★ ¸☆´.•´MERRY ¸☆´.•´
★* 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ ••。★ CHRISTMAS。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚| 田田 |門| ˚Peace. Love. Joy.


Big hugs

Susi

RO said...

Well first of all, I have to give some mad props to your buddy Scott who figured out the mystery and fixed your sewing machine. I don't blame you one bit for doing the Happy Dance! I love, your Christmas spread which is perfect for the season. Your work is amazing, and as I'm partial to anything in the cat family, the tiger is so cool to look at. I sure hope your day is amazing and safe. Hugs...RO

Meggymay said...

Wow , you have spoiled us today with is awesome post. There is a feast of beautiful pages and projects to look at. If I had to say what caught my eye [I have read the post twice to look at the photos] it would be those beautiful angel playing cards and the wonderful traditional Santa tag.
I can see your happy dance, what a great Christmas bonus to have that working again. Scott is a 'star'.
Thank you for adding your Santa tag to our TioT's theme and for all the support you give to us there.
Yvonne xx

Lowcarb team member said...

Wow, Wow and Wow!

What a wonderful Christmas Eve post, I love it!

Wishing you a Merry Christmas,
My good wishes too :)

All the best Jan

PS Following up your comment on the low carb diabetic blog, we would be delighted should you wish to include it in your left side-bar, many thanks.

My name is Erika. said...

Wow- you have a lot of great art today Elizabeth! It is all (or mostly) so festive. Even your 4x4's are (as usual) so cool. And thanks for once again joining us at TIOT with your Santa tag. I bet he is already out delivering toys in some part of the world. (hee-hee). Have a very happy holiday my friend. May it be filled with peace, love and joy. Hugs-Erika

Rosie said...

What a wonderful post, dear Elisabeth.

Thank you for joining us at MOO MANIA & MORE

• ★ ¸☆´.•´MERRY ¸☆´.•´
★* 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ ••。★ CHRISTMAS。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚| 田田 |門| ˚Peace. Love. Joy.

CJ Kennedy said...

My favorite collage this week is Primordial Soup. The Christmas pages are beautiful. My favorites are the ones with the cardinals on them. Hooray for Scott for fixing your beloved sewing machine. May you have more miles of sewing ahead. Your Christmas tags are wonderful too. And I just found a happy image on the iPad emojiis that you would like, I hope you can see it. 🎠 Merry Christmas 🎁to you and the boys. Give them headbutts from me

johanna said...

so much beauty in this post! i love your 4x4s of this week very much. and the details in the spread, such as the colored corrugated edge on the upper right - wonderful!
★  *  ★  ☆  ★ *  ☆  ★    *
 *  *   ☆      ☆        *
 ★  ☆  *  ★  *  ★  *  ☆
   ★     *     ☆  *   *  ★ *

wishing you all the best, and meowy wishes to your buddies, too:))

Divers and Sundry said...

My favorite today is "Urban stones". That corrugated tag with Santa made a hit with me, too :) I'm not sure I've seen a tag made of corrugated cardboard, but I'm a fan! If I ever try ATCs again, I'm going to remember this. Thx :)

Happy Christmas Eve! I'm looking forward to spending some time with the T gang tomorrow :)

Cindy McMath said...

Great collection Elizabeth! I have two clear favourites this week in your 365 Somethings - Contents on Hold and Urban Stones. I love your titles as always too! As an aside, I am typing this without glasses and hoping for the best. - so if there are any words that don’t make sense that’s why - hahaha

Your pages and tags are also lovely. I’m especially impressed with the corrugated cardboard pieces. I think those stamps indeed belong with the angels. I love the Santa tag as well. I really like the way you’ve used the sparkly thread in both of these pieces.

Merry Christmas my friend. I’ll come back later and see your T Tuesday post. Xo

craftytrog said...

A wonderful selection of festive art and collage Elizabeth!
Wishing you and Bleubeard a very joyful Christmas and new year.
Alison xox

Cindy McMath said...

Let me add Breakwater to my list of favourites this week!

kathyinozarks said...

These are all just wonderful!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! What a post! I love your collages, especially 'breakwater' and 'passion' Your journal page is of course wonderful! Those angels(darn! all my stamps ready and the theme is over...again!) I love your tags and I see Santa was on his way to TIOT (grin:-) Thank you so much for joining us at Try It On Tuesday! Hugs,Chris xx

Marjut said...

Beautiful! Thank you for joining us at TioT.

Let's Art Journal said...

Such beautiful collages and tags! You coloured the Father Christmas image on your tag beautifully 😁. Thanks so much for joining us at Try it on Tuesday this Christmas time! Happy and creative wishes! J 😊 x

Rike said...

Wonderful collages - my favorite is the "Urban stones" collage - and an amazing Christmas page!
Rike xx

Jeanie said...

I loved your first "Primordial" but when I saw your Christmas journal, I just gasped at the tie, work and the beautiful images and design you've put into it. And your tags, each and every one. Truly the spirit of our favorite holiday. I can tell yours was merry!