Thursday, November 15, 2018

So many challenges, so little time


In case you missed me, I was offline for right at 24 hours due to a power outage on my block.  It is still bitterly cold in my house and I'm surprised I was able to take photos that were actually legible.  If you have ever been without heat in below freezing weather (below 0C, 32F), you know even carpets, furniture, and bedding take on the frigid cold.  From what I understand our low last night that I suffered through in the dark and cold was about 12F or -11.1C.

Today I'm joining Moo Mania and More with their tic tac toe theme.   You are to "use three elements in a row of your choice." 
 I went with upper right to lower left, and used tissue paper, washi tape, and circles.   I couldn't believe my good fortune when I found tissue paper with circles on it and a tiny bit of gifted washi tape that also had circles.


As someone who is known for my use of unconventional wording, I couldn't come up with any sentiment to add to this entry, which also fits Erika at BioArtGal's theme at Art Journal Journey.  Since her theme is Vintage or Modern, today I have chosen Vintage because of the TH dolls.


After seeing the little girl and her dog, it suddenly hit me this would also fit the Friends and Family theme at Try it on Tuesday, too.

One of the reasons I love tissue is because it makes a fabulous background, but you can still see the words in your altered book behind it.

If you are careful, you can get the tissue paper on much more smoothly than I did.  However, I believe it adds a bit of texture to the piece and you won't be fighting freezing hands, either.

Today I played Tic Tac Toe at Moo Mania and More by adding tissue paper that included circles, as well as washi tape that also included circles.  I also am sharing it with Art Journal Journey because of the vintage paper dolls, along with Try it on Tuesday because of the friendship the little girl has with her beloved dog.


In addition to the other three challenge blogs, today is Day 15 of Art Every Day Month, or AEDM where I shared a page from my Challenges altered book.

Just think.  We are half way through this challenge!  Now if I can just catch up to everyone I've missed the past two days.




31 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

sorry you've been so cold without your power hope your fingers warm up soon! Love this page.

Valerie-Jael said...

That's a fun page. Sorry about the power cut, no fun sitting in freezing temperatures. Keep warm today, Valerie

johanna said...

that tic-tac-toe challenge sounds fun, you made a great page for it!
i hope your house warmed up meanwhile, that cold must have been dreadful! and internet issues are annoying, too. crossing my fingers for a smooth running of all!!
xox

Cath Wilson said...

Brr!!! Poor you, Elisabeth - I bet it was COLD! I live in an old house that gets really cold when it's cold, but it heats up really quickly, which is such a blessing. Hope it doesn't happen again and you are gradually thawing out... I'm surprised you didn't have icicles dripping from your nose - oops! Not a nice image, sorry :-(

I LOVE this page. The wording showing through the tissue paper is brilliant and the colours are so bright and cheerful. The little girl is beautiful and I love the way you put her sitting on the washi tape. Perfect page.

Have a much warmer day today.

Cath x

froebelsternchen said...

My gosh! Poor you Elizabeth! That sounds terrible with the cold night and no power! Hope you have now a warm house again!
I love your fantastic page - it always is fantastic to use tissue and this one you used here is a hit with the circled pattern! You made my day to link up with my three favourite challenges! Thank you ever so much dear Elizabeth for supporting Moo Mania & More , Try It On Tuesday and Art Journal Journey at once! You are a challenge queen . Four at one sweep! Great!

Big hugs,
Susi

Meggymay said...

Sorry to read about your electricity problems, I thought your computer had been misbehaving again. I hope all the problems are solved it is not good being that cold.
You created a fantastic page and of course I am pleased you realised that it fit our TioT's theme. Thank you for linking to us there as well.

Thank you for the link to Gino Salerno's awesome wood carving, these artists are so talented. It makes me so mad when their work is vandalized. I loved the carving of the woman with her hands over her eyes.
Thank you for the thoughts on the book, I asked in our library and they will let me know when they get it in stock.
Have a good day.
Yvonne xx

craftytrog said...

It's a wonderful page Elizabeth! I love the spotty background!
Have a good day,
Alison xxx

My name is Erika. said...

This is way too happy a page for someone in a cold house. I am glad you kept your spirits up and managed to make such a cool page. But I am sorry to hear that you have lost power. Glad it is back. It is always scary to hear about that and as I have lost powers for days on end during storms, I know how bad it can be. I'm thinking of you and hope it warms up for you now. Stay warm my dear friend. Glad to hear the power is back. Hugs-Erika

Sami said...

Oh my, how awful to be without power during such cold weather!
Hope it's all sorted out now Elizabeth and you've managed to warm up.
Nice dotted page :)

WendyK said...

Great fun page, and a happy tissue paper find. I hope all gets back to normal again,
Hugs Wendy

Rike said...

Your background with the tissue paper and the washi tape all over circles is beautiful! The little girl and her dog you carefully cutted out are very cute and you gave them interesting shadows!
I admire you that you were able to create something in your cold rooms, I would not!
Wish you the heating is ok now!
Rike xx

Nancy said...

Oh my- bone chilling! And you're right, everything takes on the cold once it gets to those temps. I do like your tissue background and agree with you. A few wrinkles in the tissue is a nice textural element.

kathyinozarks said...

This is a great piece Elizabeth-I really like it
sorry you lost your electric luckly we have not so far. although we have had those bitter 12 degrees as well. I was thankful we were warmer this morning as we had to leave the house around 6 am for Hubs second eye surgery-cataracks in town though there was allot of ice on the roads and the hospital sidewalks and parking lot was solid ice-I was not happy about that and let them know it lol no excuse for that at a hospital
anyways we are enjoying a little warm up for a few days now-loving the sunshine too

CJ Kennedy said...

A wonderful page. I love the dots. The little girl makes me thing of Darla from the LIttle Rascals and the dog looks a bit like Nipper the RCA dog with the tag: The sound of his Master's voice as the dog was listening to an RCA victrola.

I hope you got your electricity and heat back on. Your house sounds like mine no alternate heat source if the electricity goes out. My house doesn't have a fireplace or a wood stove. Hope all is back to normal now.

Divers and Sundry said...

I remember an ice storm that took out power over our entire region. We ate dry cereal and did ok as long as the heated waterbed held any heat. After that we were miserable. It does take a while to re-heat a house that has gotten that cold. I'm glad yours came back on so quickly. Brrrrr!

I've been enjoying seeing what people create in response to this theme.

Sandra Cox said...

I am so sorry you've had to deal with power outages. I hope you don't get sick.
I LOVE your piece, especially the polka dot background.

sheila 77 said...

Being cold AND being without the Internet - I don't know which is worse. Hope all is well now, Elizabeth. Do visit my latest post if you can as I've given you a name check, and yes I did notice you weren't about as you usually are. We do miss our blogging friends when they are absent.
I do like your girl and the circles and it is a great effect with the words beneath the tissue paper. I must remember that trick.
Are the boys not annoyed that you used a dog in your picture?
Hope they stayed warm somewhere cosy.
Love from Sheila

Let's Art Journal said...

That's not good, I hope all is well now after the power outage! Your page is fabulous with the bright colours and the book page showing through the napkin 😀. The little girl and her dog are so cute too! Thanks so much for joining us at Try it on Tuesday and wishing you a great day! J 😊 x

sheila 77 said...

Thanks for popping over and leaving a great comment, Elizabeth. I wouldn't have liked you to have missed the Bashie news.
Have a great week, keep nice and warm

aussie aNNie said...

LOVE your gorgeous and cheery page, the fussy cutting is awesome...Keep warm sending you some Aussie warmth.xx

Sandra Cox said...

Are you warm yet?

Rita said...

So glad you got your heat back!!

The pictures remind me of The Little Rascals! I loved watching them when I was a kid. :)

Janet said...

Good for you keeping up with so many challenges! It's difficult to stay on top of, even when you're using one piece of art for multiple challenges! I'm glad your heat is back!

chrissie said...

Hope you are starting to warm up by now Elizabeth.

Your page is so beautiful with great ideas.

Have a good weekend

Love Chrissie xx

Jeanie said...

That's a fun challenge -- and I love your finished piece! It's just charming.

Oh, boy -- no heat is no fun. I had the same issue last weekend but it wasn't that cold yet (now would be a problem). So I can only imagine how wretched that was. And you couldn't even plug in a space heater without power. Glad you survived that one -- but it could have been extra ugly. Hopefully that's the last time that happens this season.

Cindy McMath said...

Sorry to hear about your heat issues - I can only imagine how cold it was! Glad you were able to post this lovely page though - I really like the bright napkin background and the way the words show through it. The girl and her dog are very sweet.

Lowcarb team member said...

Sorry about your power outage …
I do like your page, it's so colourful.

All the best Jan

Eileen Bergen said...

I'm surprised you could even craft with your fingers chilled to the bone. I seem to recall that you chose "responsible" for your word of the year. But if you look the word up in the dictionary, I think you'll find your name right there ;-)

Very clever page, Elizabeth. Eileen xox

pearshapedcrafting said...

That IS cold! I'm impressed that you could still make an excellent choice of elements for your journal page! You are so right too, this is perfect for Friends and Family at TIOT! Thank you so much for joining us!Hugs,Chrisx

Rosie said...

A wonderful piece.

Get well soon

Thank you for joining us at MOO MANIA & MORE

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Your art page is lovely. Very sorry to hear about your power outage during that bitter cold. (I don't know how the Pilgrims did it when they came here.) I see you're in Kansas. I'm in Connecticut. I don't know how your Thanksgiving temperatures were, but here we had an unseasonable arctic blast and possibly the coldest TDay on record.