Friday, November 16, 2018

Friday Smiles 298: Botanica, part 1


Before we begin, I had not planned on being offline due to an electrical outage, nor had I planned on an unexpected trip I must take.  Once I link to AEDM and Friday Smiles tonight, I will be gone until sometime late Sunday afternoon.  I will have no internet or wi-fi, but my friend Scott has agreed to link me so I can keep up with the challenges.  I promise to catch up with everyone when I return.  Now to the main event.

I'm sure you are aware from the post title that I am here for Annie's Friday Smiles.  I'm in a bit of a quandary.  I have tons of photos I have yet to process on my computer.  Many of you remember I went to the Museum of World Treasures for Smithsonian Day.  The only floor I visited was the one with all the wars in which the U.S. participated.  I'm not sure you want to see war related memorabilia so soon after recently seeing the war photos (WWI) from the art museum.

The youngsters have already informed me they will be back to spend time with me again next summer, so I was hoping to take them somewhere they hadn't been this year.  They already had plans of places they wanted to see again, so, if I went by their desired schedule, the one free day was Sunday.  This year, the biggest expense had been the ice skating rink, and it was relatively inexpensive compared to other genre.  That's when I decided to see about the Botanical Gardens.  The price for an adult, anyone 13 and over was $7.00 (USD).  Sunday hours of operation were 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.   Do the math and it's $28.00 for us to go four hours to Botanica.  The Queen of Free (that would be me, Dr. E) was concerned.  I decided to plop down the admission price and see how much I could cover in four hours.

First however, a few funnies.

Giving a man his physical, a doctor noticed several dark, ugly bruises on the man’s shins.
He asked, “Do you play hockey, rugby, or any physical sport?”
“No. I just play bridge with my wife.”

Marvin was in his usual place in the morning sitting at the table, reading the paper after breakfast. He came across an article about a beautiful actress that was about to marry a football player who was known primarily for his lack of IQ and common sense.
He turned to his wife with a look of question on his face. “I’ll never understand why the biggest jerks get the most attractive wives.”
His wife replies, “Why thank you, dear!” 


A beautiful female college student comes to a young professor’s office.
She glances down the hall, closes his door, kneels pleadingly, “I would do anything to pass this exam.”
She leans closer to him, flips back her hair, gazes meaningfully into his eyes. “I mean…” she whispers, “… I would do…anything!!!”
He returns her gaze. “Anything???”
“Yes… Anything!!!”
His voice turns to a whisper. “Would you….. study???”


Jennifer watched as the cashier rang up her purchases.
“Cash, check or charge?” She asked after folding the items Jennifer had bought. As she fumbled for her wallet the cashier noticed a television remote control in her purse.
“Do you always carry your TV remote?” The cashier asked.
“No,” she replied, “but my husband refused to come shopping with me, and I figured this was the best retaliation."


Over breakfast, a woman said to her husband, “I’ll bet you don’t know what day this is.”
“Of course I do,” he answered, as if offended, and left for the office.
At 10:00 a.m., a dozen red roses arrived at the house. At 1:00 p.m., a two-pound box of chocolates was delivered. The designer dress arrived at 3:00.
When her husband came home, the woman ran to meet him and threw her arms around his neck, “I’ve never had a more wonderful Groundhog Day in my life!”


A couple were celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary.
At the party, everybody wanted to know how they managed to stay married so long in this day and age. The husband responded “When we were first married, we came to an agreement to share. I would make all the major decisions, and my wife would make all the minor decisions.”
“But do you know what I just realized?”
“In 60 years of marriage I don’t think we have ever needed to make a major decision.”

Now please join me for part 1 of an afternoon at Botanica, Wichita's Botanical Gardens.  
These are the grounds leading to the entrance.



I wish my bricks looked as good as the ones at Botanica.

Botanica has a scheme.  You pay inside, then you must walk past the gift shop and the various displays in order to get to the gardens.  I was surprised these carousel horse contributions

changed colors as I was taking the photos.  Looks like they don't have that many more to sell to meet their quota.

Then it was off into the bright sunlight of mid-day.

Unlike my friend Helen (H), who takes us to Kew Gardens in London, I didn't stop to take photos of individual plants or flowers.

I was just trying to get a feel of what to show the children in the event I decided to bring them here next summer.


This is Garden on the Rocks.

There were quite a few people there that day, and I decided I didn't have time to wait until everyone was out of my shots.

This garden has both perennials and annuals that grow in various harsh conditions.


I'm not sure if the children will be interested in this sculpture or not.  It is called "Beach Boy with Pail."

This is my favorite area.  I wasn't sure what it was called, but I've always thought of it as the living wall.  Different plants and flowering herbs are placed in each of the inserts in the wall, and there are places at the top for plants, too.  I later learned it's called the Sensory Garden and the wall is called the Living Herb Wall.

I remember seeing trees like these on my friend Helen's blog and thinking how weird they looked.  I thought someone trimmed them in that shape, but after seeing similar ones at Botanica,   

I now wonder if they grow like that.  I later read this was the Juniper Garden.

This is the inside area of the Sensory Garden.  In summer, the circles will be more concentric.

I was fairly certain the children would like this area which is at one end of the living wall.  BTW, I didn't notice the photos at the top of the structure until I loaded these photos on my blog.

Here is one of two trains that were in operation that day.

Although it's hard to see, here is the other one (on the far left).

Much better once it comes into the sunlight.





I finally got closer, so you can see the miniatures and of course,

the train, too.

I was hoping to catch them both in the same photo.


That was as close as I got!  I had already spent nearly 40 minutes and had very little to show.

Of course, I had to share part of the inside of the Sensory Garden.

I failed to take a photo of the center area because it was time to move on.

Next it was off to see this sculpture, one of my favorite.  It is of three sand hill cranes taking off in flight, even though I failed to show the water that surrounds the sculpture.

It is called "Prairie Wings."

I was blown away by the changes that had been made to the Pavilion.  The columns were new, the glass was new, the ceiling had been enclosed.   It looked so different from the last time I visited several years ago.

The doors were new, as were areas to sit outside the main Pavilion area.

The only thing that wasn't new were those rather uncomfortable wrought iron chairs and tables.

I think that's enough for today.  I don't want to overwhelm you with too many photos.  Thanks for joining me today and thanks for your continued visits.  Now let's visit Annie's Friday Smiles, where it never hurts to begin the weekend with a big smile, just like Annie's. Feel free to join in with a post of your own, too.


This is Day 16, and I am also sharing this with Art Every Day Month (AEDM).




21 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

That's a beautiful garden you visited, lots to see there, and the little railway looks fun, too. Have a good trip, Valerie

Helen said...

this looks a fabulous place to visit, I am sure the youngsters would have fun too. I think you'll find the trees are trained and clipped to those shapes. i've seen them tending them at Kew to keep them in shape. I really enjoyed your photos.

Sami said...

Beautiful garden, I liked the miniature village and train and the statue of the boy.
Hope the children enjoyed visiting the Botanic gardens.
See you soon and have a lovely weekend Elizabeth.

johanna said...

it was a pleasure to see these fresh green photos now that the landscape outside is turning brown and dreary... i´m sure i would have enjoyed being there. and obviously they have quite some sculptures and the railway to loosen up everything and having the concentration on various things.
i hope you have an enjoyable weekend - and wishing for a stable pc situation in the future. these things really can be annoying...
xox

froebelsternchen said...

Have a safe trip Elizabeth!
Wonderful place are these gardens! Fabulous photos!
Fantastic funnies!
Big hugs, Susi

Meggymay said...

It was lovely to see some bright sunny photos as its dull and dank here today.
It looks a beautiful garden to visit, I would have loved to see the model train layout and the sensory gardens.
I hope you have a safe trip away.
Yvonne xx

Cath Wilson said...

I love Sensory Gardens and the Living Herb Wall, but seeing the 'model village' took me back to my childhood. There's one at the local seaside town we often went to with our parents and I was always fascinated by it.

A nice bit of research, Elisabeth and a beautiful sunny day to enjoy it. Double blessing!

Cath x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Now this is a place I would love to visit and never want to leave, gardens are definitely my thing. What ever you're up to have a safe journey and take care. Sending hugs, Angela xXx

Annie said...

It was really lovely to meet Kate and yes she really is as lovely as I expected. I feel very blessed to have so many blogging friends choosing to call to meet me in their busy lives.
Love the photos of the gorgeous gardens. Thanks for sharing them.
Hugs,
Annie x

Lisca said...

Yes, that looks like a really beautiful garden. Even in this time of year it is still gorgeous. I love the herb wall, and the sensory garden. I'm sure the youngsters would love it, especially the miniture railway and surroundings. I love that sort of thing. The sculptures are indeed splendid.
Seeing the carroussel horses made me smile as I know you love those. That was a good start to your very pleasant bit of research.
Of course a trip to the gardens is a bit weather reliant. It could snow, so I guess you will also be thinking of 'plan B'.
Thank you for taking me on a walk through this lovely garden. It lifted my day.
I hope your day is good, in spite of the unexpected chores to do.
Best wishes,
Lisca

Anonymous said...

Oh summer days of green and warm and flowers. Sigh. These are gorgeous, especially and a dark wintery morning. I guess what sustains us is those memories of summer. I love looking at these. Hope your unexpected trip is not for anything bad. Safe travels. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

We got 7 inches of snow in a very early snowstorm. Your Botanica pictures are so welcome. I think the kids will love wandering around. the picture of commuters waiting for the train made me chuckle. Someone had put a figure of the cartoon character, Marge Simpson, with her very tall, blue beehive hair-do.

Lots of museums offer a free admission day, afternoon, or evening. WAM, where I teach, has a free first Saturday of the month. Maybe Botanica has some free hours that would fit in the kids' visiting schedule. Libraries sometimes offer passes to area attractions. You could check the library.

Jeanie said...

I think the kids would like this -- especially if you take a picnic with you, maybe a game or something too. That miniature area is pretty darned adorable.

I love that they love to visit you. That really makes me smile. And you do such wonderful things with them. This place is a stunner.

Divers and Sundry said...

I love botanic gardens, and this one looks wonderful. Parts of yours -including prices ;) remind me of ours. For example, ours has a geese sculpture very much like yours. My kids at all ages always enjoyed trips to parks and gardens. I know you're enjoying planning for their next trip :)

I trust all will go well on your trip. I love blogging, as the posts are up and stay up and are available for whenever someone might want to stop by. No time pressures with blogging :) at least for friendly visits.

Lowcarb team member said...

Many thanks for the funnies.

That looks such a lovely garden, and the miniature railway looks such fun.
Enjoy your trip.

All the best Jan

Eileen Bergen said...

Really funny "smiles" you shared today. Botanica is amazing. I can't imagine the teens/tweens wouldn't enjoy it. Kids oh all ages love miniatures.I'm so excited that they want to visit again.

WendyK said...

What a beautiful garden, loads of colour and lots to see.

TammyVitale said...

Wow - I love the pictures! I was trying to find a favorite...I think probably the pictures with water in them (always draws my eyes) especially with rocks. I miss the pond I had at my old house.

The jokes made me laugh - every one of them. Thank you!

Rita said...

Great jokes!
I love that garden wall and the weird tree that looks like it is reaching one way. Great pics. :)

pearshapedcrafting said...

Well, you made T laugh this morning(me too) as I usually read your funnies out loud to him! The special areas in these gardens look wonderful and I do love miniatures! I think the children will love Botanica! Hugs, Chrisx

jinxxxygirl said...

Gosh Elizabeth that was all just beautiful. I love garden posts... that rock wall was amazing!! And the train! So glad you posted so many pics! Hugs! deb