Wednesday, November 21, 2018

More eco-dyeing


As I prepare for Thanksgiving tomorrow, I thought I would share the last of my eco-dyeing for this year.  These will NOT stay whole cloths, but will be used as part of other quiltlets I hope to make next year.

You may remember this fabric bundle from last week.

I allowed this to steam longer 

and I allowed it to cool longer in the pot.  I was already getting excited.

What a mess.  Some of the leaves stayed intact, but the sunflowers disintegrated when unwrapped.

After it dried, I was blown away by the pink from the yellow sunflowers.  This piece is not color adjusted.

When I pulled in closer, I color compensated and the pink and copper pennies turned a beautiful, albeit false, color.

This is closer to the correct colors and I was so happy to have wrapped the bundle tightly enough that it left marks in the fabric.

I was getting tired of eco-dyeing only one bundle at a time, so I grabbed my favorite rusty piece and laid blackberry leaves onto a piece of cotton bed sheet.

I tried to mix it up a bit by using copper with blackberry leaves and other leaves from my garden on a piece of curtain sheer.

Since I realized I had a few days before I had to share these on my blog,

I decided to leave them in the pot longer.

Here are some of the details I like the most.  This

and this are from the sheer, which surprised me, since I wasn't expecting so much rust to have migrated to the sheer.

The characteristic black comes from the rust mixed with iron.  This

this,

and this are from the bed sheet.



My friend Johanna asked if I iron the fabric before I wash it in order to set the colors.  I always treat fabric, whether eco-dyed or rusted, exactly the same.  I wear gloves and after unwrapping, I wash the fabric in baking soda water, sometimes more than once, in order to make sure it is safe to handle.  To me, safety is the name of the game.

Thank you for joining me today


as I revealed my final completed and dried eco-dyed bed sheet and curtain sheer.  This is Day 21 of Art Every Day Month (AEDM).









21 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

You got some astonishing results from your dying. Have fun using the pieces. Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

Fantastic results - great !Thank you for showing your process! You know how much a appreciate your tutorials. I am sure you will use this fabrics very well!
Big hugs, Susi

johanna said...

the results you achieved are absolutely fantastic!!! actually i would not have expected sunflowers to give color at all... you have quite some fabric in stock now for further use:)
the stamp i used on the scrapsquare (line with circles) is from a dutch company (stampinback). my custom made stamps mostly are mail-art related and some are etchings from old biology books. oh i wish i could make more, but it´s not easy to find a company that produces custom motifs and they are super expensive...
have a great day, xox

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Your results are so beautiful Elizabeth much better than I have ever achieved, you must prep with such care as you have managed to tease out those colours sometimes lost in this process. I have a box full of my efforts that i'm planning on using next year although it seems like a lifetime away at present.
So sorry I have neglected my visits, it's been a difficult few weeks which I have still not come to terms with having to carry on and deal with other things in the process.
Wishing you a very *Happy Thanksgiving* tomorrow, may your day be full and a blessed one.
Take good care Hugs Tracey xx

Meggymay said...

Wow, the results look awesome. I was surprised at the pink shade from the sunflowers that fabric has beautiful soft colour tones.
I also loved the other piece with the rust transferring to the fabric. You are going to enjoy using these pieces.
Yvonne xx

Cath Wilson said...

More beautiful, natural colour, Elisabeth - stunning but especially the flower results, as Yvonne said. That pink was such a surprise!

Cath x

Jeanie said...

These are really beautiful, Elizabeth. That pink is quite beautiful in thereand the neutrals really stunning. It will be great fun to see how these evolve into your art.

Thanks for your visits to the blog. And yes, seventh heaven in the bread store!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Nancy said...

Isn't it fascinating to see what colors the various elements produce? Sunflowers- pink! Surprise. I think the messy unwrapping is what keeps me from trying this, but I do like eco-dyed fabrics.

Cindy McMath said...

You got some lovely results! Can’t wait to see what you make from these. :)

My name is Erika. said...

Thee came out amazing. The flower colors and the rust and greenish/brown had me in awe. I know what I am going to try next summer. I guess the longer they steep and steam the better! Wishing you a happy Thanksgiving! Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

The eco dying is fabulous. I remember when I did flower pounding the colors were sometimes a surprise from what was expected.

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm amazed by the color you achieved in these! Wow! The pennies gave you a color I expected, but the sunflowers surprised me :)

Happy Thanksgiving Eve :)

Dianne said...

always love your eco-dyed fabric and papers! hugs from Ohio...sorry I've been Missing in Action. checking in to wish you a wonderful Thanksgiving!! ♥ ♥ ♥

Mia said...

Hi Elizabeth, I am glad to tell you that you are a winner of my birthday candy. Please visit my blog. Kisses, my friend.

Birgit said...

The colours turned out amazing. I am surprised at what a pink those flowers gave and love the light blue. The black and orange reminds me of halloween..like a devil's dance in the fire...from Fantasia.

Let's Art Journal said...

I enjoyed seeing the different stages of your eco dying 😁. The pretty colours and patterns look amazing! Enjoy the rest of your week!j 😊 x

Darla said...

Amazing results. So many different colors and shapes. I'm impressed with you end product.

Rita said...

I really love the subtle pastels in the first one the best. :)
Happy Thanksgiving! :)

craftytrog said...

Fabulous results Elizabeth! Such unexpected colours!
Alison xx

Anonymous said...

You have achieved some nice marks with the dye. Will be looking forward to the parade of quiltlets to come. Xox

pearshapedcrafting said...

I am attempting to catch up and I know I missed this! What brilliant results - the colours and patterns are brilliant! Hugs,Chrisx