Thursday, October 4, 2018

Play school


Linda of heARTfully inspired by Linda is hosting Art Journal Journey this month with her theme Creature Comforts.  When I originally saw the prompt, my thoughts immediately went to creatures, so that is what I focused on today.

I call this one School's in session!

I started with one of my very favorite backgrounds I had forgotten about until a couple of months ago.  Here I've glued several different pages to 110 lb card stock.  Although I fail to show it, I then added vaseline/petroleum jelly in certain spots to the paper.  The vaseline/petroleum jelly acts as a resist.

Next came the dark blue craft paint, more vaseline/petroleum jelly, then when the dark blue was dry, I added the green craft paint and more vaseline/petroleum jelly.  When the green paint was dry, I used baby wipes to remove the vaseline/petroleum jelly, thus showing the three layers.

My school of fish are ready for recess,

but first, they must learn to navigate these waters.




For this page, I started with the background described above, then added the words "School's in session!" using my blue metallic gel pen.  I added the school of fish, some pearls of different sizes to represent both bubbles and eyes, then added some tiny shells from my stash using E-6000.  Finally, I added colored ribbon at the top and bottom of the page.  I had trouble adding the school of fish because the glue I was using didn't care for the remains of the vaseline/petroleum jelly I seem to have left on the page.

Bleubeard and I are thrilled you chose to join us today and hope to also see you at Art Journal Journey

19 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely page, great background. Have a wonderful day, off to the doctor here. Valerie

Heike`sAugenBlick said...

Fantastic peeled paint effect on your background...love love love it !! Such a wonderful art journal page!!I had the same problem on my peeled paint backgrounds... I am not a fan of hot glue gun but this stuff works on Vaseline...Have a beautiful day.xoxo Heike

My name is Erika. said...

Nice idea for creature comforts. I like the fish.And the feel for the whole page. :) I first thought of cups of tea and also monsters with that theme.Monsters drinking tea? Still working out some ideas for pages; this week's been busy and I haven't had enough art time to get to anything much. Our Japanese guests arrive today and it will be busy through tomorrow night. Hope your week is going well. Hugs-Erika

craftytrog said...

What a fabulous background you created for the fish Elizabeth, and the ribbon is a great addition! xx

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun page. I really like the addition of the pearls as bubbles and eyes. Gives a really nice 3D effect to the page.

Sami said...

I like the background effect you created with the vaseline almost like crackle paint. The pearls for the eyes and water bubbles are a nice addition.
Have a lovely day Elizabeth.

Divers and Sundry said...

This is a fun idea, and it turned out so well even if you did have trouble getting the fish to stick, ready for recess as they were ;) I like that it's seasonal without the typical seasonal trappings.

Jackie PN said...

What a super page! I just love your underwater page!beautiful colors and fun little dots!
Jackie

Sandra Cox said...

As always, enjoyed the pieces. School of fish ready for recess. Ha. Ha.

froebelsternchen said...

I love this one Elizabeth! I should create such a background soon again, I haven't used this techniqe for long! And all fits so well..the fish the shells and little pearls! Brilliant title! Lol!
A wonderful entry for Linda's theme!
Big hugs, Susi

Caterina Giglio said...

Dr. E. your resist is positively yummy and the perfect back drop to your creatures! x

Linda Kunsman said...

what a marvelous looking background! I haven't used that technique in a long time. School's in Session - I love it - title and imagery!

Meggymay said...

I love how you created the peeled paint effects for your background. It is a fabulous page and the idea of the fish going to school mas made me smile tonight.
Yvonne xx

da tabbies o trout towne said...

bleu N squiggles...pleez ta tell de fish they can come over ta trout towne afturr ree cezz !! ;) ♥♥♥ we will welcome them !!! ☺☺☺

aussie aNNie said...

Lovely post, the fish look awesome.x

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love this Elizabeth - the paint peeling of course is a big favourite of mine but how you composed this page is simply wonderful! Your fishy school has made me smile! Hugs,Chrisx

Caty said...

Wualaaaa This is GORGEOUS Elizabeth !! I love love your Art page !! this background is wonderful, I haven´t use vaseline ever, but I think I could try and see the results, because I love how your background colours turned out . Lovely school of fish, they look so happy! So clever to add little shells, I want to swim by the fishes and take one !! :) Great
I wish you a very nice day, big hugss, Caty

Rita said...

Cute page. I do like fish. Have had fishbowls and aquariums since I was nine. :)

Rike said...

Great ideas - one one for the fish school and one for this amazing background using vaseline/petroleum jelly as resist and one for these pearls for eyes and bubbles! And at last one for these wonderful colored ribbons at the top and bottom of the page!
Wish you a happy weekend! Rike xx