Friday, October 5, 2018

Friday Smiles 292: a trip to the Art Musuem part 4


Annie our host at Friday Smiles has agreed to link me each week until I can get Mr. Linky working for me again.  Thank you Annie.  I appreciate you for taking time to do this.

I'll begin with a few funnies:

These are actual resumes I copied from the pages I found when I cleaned my desk last winter.  I showed some last week, and here are a few more.



“I have an excellent track record, although I am not a horse.”

“I am loyal to my employer at all costs. Please feel free to respond to my resume on my office voice mail.”

“My goal is to be a meteorologist. But since I possess no training in meteorology, I suppose I should try stock brokerage.”

“I procrastinate, especially when the task is unpleasant.”

“Personal interests: donating blood. Fourteen gallons so far.”

“Instrumental in ruining entire operation for a Midwest chain store.”

“Note: Please don’t misconstrue my 14 jobs as ‘job-hopping'. I have never quit a job.”

“Marital status: often. Children: various.”


I still have more of these, so will share more next week.


Now back to the museum where I spent nearly six hours with two teens and a tween one day this past July. 

The children walked into this room before me, and came rushed back out, giggling then showing excitement.   The tween led me by the hand and I immediately fixated on the images in front of me.

I took a picture of what we would see in this room, but still had no idea what made the children so giddy.

However, before I took this photo, I turned around and saw what they had seen.  You'll have to wait, though, because for now, you get to peruse the collection the way we did.

Beautiful 18th, 19th, and 20th century artifacts were in this room.
 

I loved that barber pole.




What a fun way to pull a child around.  Look ma, no seat belts!


OK, you waited long enough.  Here is what the children got all giddy about.

They knew I was going to love this.

After all, you can't walk anywhere in my home and not see at least a dozen rocking horses of different sizes, shapes, materials, etc. in any direction you look.


Of course, there were the breakables behind glass, too.

Then it was on to the next room.

The next room appears to be all about the flatlands, where I live.





I fell in LOVE with this one.  It is an abstract I could wrap my head around.

I thought of my internet friend Helen (H) who often takes me to museums, and of course Kew on her other blog.  Check out her photo blog and you will see why this and the next sculpture remind me of her.


This hands on exhibit invited the youngsters to create their own gardens.  I only wish there were more wind farms near where I live.  The teens rolled their eyes at the idea of becoming a farmer, but the tween was eager to grow a garden.

I realize this is a smaller post than normal, but the next room has so many photos, I decided I couldn't split them, and couldn't show them all this week.

Thanks for joining the children and me again at the museum and thanks for your continued visits and support.  Now let's visit Annie's Friday Smiles (aka A stitch in time), where it never hurts to begin the weekend with a big smile, just like Annie's. Feel free to join in with a post of your own, too.  

15 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

another fab room at the museum! I like that sculpture that reminded you of me... well of the exhibits I sometimes get to see...

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful photos from the museum, I'm sure you would have liked to take the rocking horses home with you! Valerie

Annie said...

I enjoy your museum pics but I enjoy them even more through the eyes of the young people. Love the rocking horse especially.
Hugs,
Annie x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Those interview comments are so funny! I loved this part of the museum, although when I saw the other horses I did guess that there was maybe a rocking horse! I think (no, I know) that I would love this museum!Have a great weekend! Hugs,Chrisx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

It's just all so amazing Elizabeth. I think this might be one of my favourite rooms as I love that abstract painting and the sculpture mind you I love the funnies even more Lol! Have a great weekend. Big hugs, Angela xXx

Barbara said...

The paintings caught my eye, but there’s so much else to enjoy! My favorite is the flatlands house, a bit Andrew Wyeth-ish. Your favorite, the abstract, has some realism for me. My eye immediately saw a sky and cross section of earth.

My name is Erika. said...

I like how this display of American art followed the history of it. The one that struck me was the house on the lone open grass and perched on a slab of rock, with so much sky. With all the trees here we never get so much sky. Oh I and I did find out about the portrait I recognized. It was of a man whose last name was Otis and he was a Boston patriot. I obviously have never seen the portrait as I have never been to Wichita but they must be a reproduction in some place I have been, maybe when I did the Freedom trail last fall. Have a super weekend. Hugs-Erika

froebelsternchen said...

Fantastic photos of the exhibits! What an intersting museum! This rocking horse is awesome! Happy Friday! Thank you for the smiles!
Lots of LOVE

Susi

Caty said...

So beautiful photographs of this Art Museum Elizabeth !! Thank you very much for sharing them with us. I like the lovely paintings, and the fabulous items I ´ve seen, but specially the amazing rocking horse, I ´m sure you would take with you :) Like also very much the beautiful abstract painting. What a nice visit !
I wish you a very nice day, big hugs, Caty

CJ Kennedy said...

Loved the early Americana art. My WAM (Worcester) had an exhibit with those early portraits. They labeled the wall Early American Facebook. :-D I enjoyed the tour of the museum this week.

Divers and Sundry said...

The early American art and artifacts always make a hit with me :) Again there's a variety, even though it's a focused exhibition. I love the chairs! I like the gardening encouragement, too. We don't have wind farms here....

Meggymay said...

Another wonderful visit with you to the museum. There was so many interesting exhibits and paintings, but I can see that perhaps your favourite might have been the rocking horse.
Yvonne xx

Rita said...

Your favorite thing had to be the rocking horse! :)

RO said...

More beautiful treats from the museum which I love! Hugs...RO

mamapez5 said...

Another lovely room. I can quite see why you spent so much time in this place. Not too surprisingly, the paintings that caught my eye were the lonely house with an empty sky behind it, and the lovely cloudy sky in the same set. I also loved the abstract sculpture that I am assuming was copper.
If i was growing a garden, I would have sunflowers and poppies, my two favourite flowers.
Kate x