Thursday, October 18, 2018

Bonding


Linda of heARTfully inspired by Linda is hosting Art Journal Journey this month with her theme Creature Comforts.  Once again, I am relying on creatures to meet this challenge.

Because these two appear to be holding trucks, I named this one Bonding.

  I started with one of my very favorite backgrounds I had forgotten about until a couple of months ago.  Here I've glued several different pages to 110 lb card stock.  Although I fail to show it, I then added vaseline/petroleum jelly in certain spots to the paper.  The vaseline/petroleum jelly acts as a resist.

Next came yellow craft paint, more vaseline/petroleum jelly, then when the yellow was dry, I added the dark blue craft paint and more vaseline/petroleum jelly.  When the blue paint was dry, I used baby wipes to remove the vaseline/petroleum jelly, thus showing the three layers.





For this page, I began with the background technique I described above, then cut a doily in half and situated the halves over which I knew the image would be positioned.  After adding the image, I also added some grasses I have found on my walks that resembled the grasses in the image.  Finally, I added the funky letters to the page using pop dots.

Bleubeard and I are simply delighted you chose to join us today and hope to also see you at Art Journal Journey

22 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful page with a wonderful background, those elephants do look like they are holding trunks. Have a nice day, Valerie

aussie aNNie said...

BEAUTIFUL and delightful post. Just love those elephants, the gentle giants of nature...xx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

What a beautiful scene Elizabeth lovely picture of true bonding, makes me want to go hold my children's hands and give them a hug.
Love how areas of your page appear to blend seamlessly with those yellows. A very sweet journal page. Thank you for sharing.
Hugs Tracey xx
P.S Vaseline.. a crafter's little pot of magic !!

froebelsternchen said...

This is precious Elizabeth! I love the composition and background so much and the doily compliments the term of bounding so well together with the fantastic image - a wonderful entry for the October collection at Art Journal Journey ! I am happy about this page as it is such a heartwarming contribution. Happy Thursday lovely Co.- Admin!
Lots of LOVE!
Susi

My name is Erika. said...

Cool page Elizabeth! I love the elephants and I really love the fabulous background. Running late today so I am keeping this short, but wanted to stop by and comment on this great page. Hugs-Erika

Barbara said...

I really like this one, Elizabeth. It evokes emotion for me which always makes something a winner. Now that I’m on your comment page, I’m looking for the line, box and X at the top of the page as described in your email. Nothing is there for me, no lines, boxes or X’s. Again, it’s probably because of different computers, devices and settings. We think we know what viewers are seeing, but we can’t ever be sure. Nothing displays the same for everyone.

CJ Kennedy said...

Your background enhances such a sweet picture. I love the addition of the grasses and of course, the funky letters.

Linda Manning Findley said...

Very well done "E" ... I have always enjoyed doing the Vaseline technique ... this inspires me to go back and try some of the older techniques ... again very well done

Caty said...

Love love this Art journal page Elizabeth !! The background is amazing, love this technique as well. The colours are great and fit so well with the elephants´image. Wonderful letters, and lovely´s detail. Really gorgeous !!
I wish you a very nice day, big hugs, Caty

Divers and Sundry said...

I love the layering on this. So many steps, but your final result is worth it :)

Linda Kunsman said...

awe, what a beautiful image and page. You did a fantastic job with your peeled paint effect layers!! The colors all blend so well with the photo too. Love this!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

very nice piece Elizabeth !!! the elephants are adorable and tie in very well with the chosen word ☺☺♥♥

Meggymay said...

A wonderful page and a great background.
I love those elephants, they may be one of our largest animals but they seem so gentle and loving in photos like this one.
Yvonne xx

Lowcarb team member said...

Those elephants do look like they are holding trunks.
I like the texture in your piece too.

All the best Jan

Rita said...

Awww! Sweet! :)

pearshapedcrafting said...

This is so beautiful! You have set me off with a need to go and do some paint peeling, which as I may have mentioned is one of my favourite techniques! Your background is fabulous and makes the best place for your elephants! Hugs, Chrisx

Jeannette said...

wow,what a beautiful page,wonderful backround and sweet image of elephants,love elephants.
happy nice sunday,dear elizabeth.

hugs jenny

Let's Art Journal said...

Beautiful page! Those elephants look so cute and I love the paint peeled background that you created - amazing 😁. I hope you've had a lovely week! Creative wishes! J 😊 x

Rike said...

This is a gorgeous background for the two lovely elephants! I like the black lace, the grasses you found on your walks and these letters you added with pop dots!
Wish you a happy weekend, dear Elizabeth! Rike xx

craftytrog said...

A wonderful page! I love the elephants, and I also like to start a page with some collage.
Alison x

Jackie PN said...

Love your page! Those elephants are beautiful!
Jackie xx

Little Artbee said...

Wow what a gorgeous page dear Elizabeth. I like your background texture so much and the two nice elephants are perfect to it. A very good work.Hope you are healthy now and everything is alright for you.
Dear Greetings
Sabine