Friday, October 19, 2018

Friday Smiles 294: a trip to the Art Museum, part 6


My sincere apologies.  I am not well.  I thought it was allergies yesterday, but right now it is full blown headache, chills, uncontrollable cough, and an all over ache.  I want to visit all of you who visit me every day, but right now, just getting out of bed long enough to post this with Annie is about all I can handle.  PLEASE be aware, I'll be by soon and I hope you forgive my not visiting until I feel better.  I hope this is nothing lingering, because I have too many items on my "to do" list and too many blogs I want to visit to lie in bed for too long.

Annie our host at Friday Smiles has agreed to link me each week until I can get Mr. Linky working for me again.  Thank you Annie.  I appreciate you for taking time to do this.

I'll begin with a few funnies.  How about a few doctor and lawyer jokes.


Feeling edgy, a man took a hot bath. Just as he’d become comfortable, the front doorbell rang. The man got out of the tub, put on terry cloth slippers and a large towel, wrapped his head in a smaller towel, and went to the door. A salesman at the door wanted to know if he needed any magazines. Slamming the door, the man returned to the bath.
The doorbell rang again. On went the slippers and towels, and the man started for the door again. He took one step, slipped on a wet spot, fell, and hit his back against the hard porcelain of the tub.
Cursing under his breath, the man struggled into his street clothes and, with every move a stab of pain, drove to the doctor. After examining him, the doctor said, “You know, you’ve been lucky. Nothing is broken. But you need to relax. Why don’t you go home and take a long hot bath?”



The bartender asks the guy sitting at the bar, “What’ll you have?” The guy answers, “A scotch, please.”
The bartender hands him the drink, and says, “That’ll be five dollars,” to which the guy replies, “What are you talking about? I don’t owe you anything for this.”
A lawyer, sitting nearby and overhearing the conversation, then says to the bartender, “You know, he’s got you there. In the original offer, which constitutes a binding contract upon acceptance, there was no stipulation of remuneration.”
The bartender was not impressed, but says to the guy, “Okay, you beat me for a drink. But don’t ever let me catch you in here again.”
The next day, same guy walks into the bar. Bartender says, “What the heck are you doing in here? I can’t believe you’ve got the audacity to come back!”
The guy says, “What are you talking about? I’ve never been in this place in my life!” The bartender replies, “I’m very sorry, but this is uncanny. You must have a double.”
To which the guy replies, “Thank you. Make it a scotch.”


A doctor and his wife were sunbathing on a beach when a beautiful young woman in a very slight, very tight bikini strolled by.
The near-naked woman looked at the doctor, smiled, and said in a sexy voice: “Hi there handsome. How are you doing?”
She then wiggled her backside and walked off.
“Who was that?” demanded the doctor’s wife.
“Err… Just a woman I met professionally,” replied the doctor.
“Oh yeah?!” snarled his wife, “Whose profession? Yours or hers?”


An airliner was having engine trouble, and the pilot instructed the cabin crew to have the passengers take their seats and get prepared for an emergency landing.

A few minutes later, the pilot asked the flight attendants if everyone was buckled in and ready.

“All set back here, Captain,” came the reply, “except one lawyer who is still going around passing out business cards.”



Max went into the doctor’s office for his annual checkup, and the Doc asked if there was anything unusual he should know about.
So Max told the Doc that his suit must have shrunk over the last year, because it didn’t fit when he went to get ready for a wedding recently.
The Doc said, “Suits don’t shrink just sitting in a closet. You probably put on a few pounds.”
“That’s just it, Doc, I know I haven’t gained a single pound since the last time I wore it.”
“Well, then,” said Doc, “You must have a case of Furniture Disease.”
“What in the world is Furniture Disease?” asked Max.
 “That’s when your chest starts sliding down into your drawers.”


Now back to the museum where I spent nearly six hours with two teens and a tween one day this past July.  

This room was all about prints, posters, and World War I, also known as the Great War, or the war to end all wars.  Little did we know or realize what was ahead.  It was a time when the world was changing and it was reflected in the prints we looked at in this exhibit.

Some of these were informative,

some iconic,

and some colorful.

Many, however, were under glass, which made them difficult to photograph. 

Many were also devastating.

The oldest teen and I found them fascinating, but the younger two couldn't get out of there quickly enough.

I'll let you peruse them and allow you to enlarge them, if you choose.








Some showed the incredible destruction to property.










Some were fascinating,

and some were surreal.

All dealt with a side of war I had never seen before.




Although this was only about half the exhibit, I feared I was losing the children, so we went looking for something more appealing to them.  I'll share something more family oriented next week.

Thanks for joining the children and me again at the museum and thanks for your continued visits and support.  Now let's visit Annie's Friday Smiles (aka A stitch in time), where it never hurts to begin the weekend with a big smile, just like Annie's. Feel free to join in with a post of your own, too.   Annie would love to welcome your smiling post, too.


23 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Thanks for sharing the photos from the museum. Sorry you are not feeling well, stay in bed and get well soon, look after yourself well! Valerie

aussie aNNie said...

Lovely and interesting post BUT get well.x

Helen said...

hope you feel better soon. enjoyed the post, can't linger as I am on my way to work but will try to come back

froebelsternchen said...

Oh Elizabeth! Take good care of you and stay in bed!
Sending you get well wishes! Don't care about blogging! Most important is to get well soon!

What a fantastic museum this is!
I can understand that you were there so many hours! Most interesting!

Hugs, Susi

Annie said...

Loved the funnies. I can understand why these pictures weren’t the young peoples favourites.
I’m so sorry to hear you’re unwell. Look after yourself my friend....take a long bath but switch the doorbell off first.
Hugs,
Annie x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Elizabeth! Get yourself better soon, rest will certainly help! Your funnies made me smile but this room in the museum brought me back down to earth! Hugs, Chrisx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth. I hope you're feeling better soon. I'm booked in for the physio as I've pulled a muscle and it's effecting the sciatic nerve. I think it must be catching Lol! Soon we'll have to start up a club called the Pathetics! Loving all the Museum photos and the funnies but as I am now beginning to ache I shall have to pop back later Lol! It's not funny really, I'm just pathetic! Gentle hugs, Angela xXx

Barbara said...

Feel better soon, Elizabeth.

CJ Kennedy said...

The war posters are fascinating and scary at the same time.Makes me think of my grandparents and I wonder if they saw these posters in their new country. Hope you feel better soon.

Meggymay said...

More awesome photos as you shared with us this week. I can understand how it took so long to visit the museum with all the interesting things to view.
I hope you will be feeling better soon Elizabeth. Stay warm and look after yourself.
Yvonne xx

My name is Erika. said...

Feel better soon my friend. There's all kinds of nasty bugs going around already here-hope you don't have any of those. And I enjoyed the visit to see the prints from the Great War. I read something recently which made me realize how little I know of that war. These just added to my curiosity about it. Take care! Hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

Oh No I wonder if you ended up with the flu. I hope you recover soon.
I always enjoy the visits to the museums with you-thanks so much for sharing-healing hugs being sent Kathy

Lisca said...

Oh dear, I do hope you feel better soon. And let's hope it's not a proper flu, because you could be in bed for a week, if so.
The photos of the museum are wonderful. I spent quite some time looking at them. I love the black and white ones. (drawings? or brass plate?) It's great the youngsters liked the museum. You did good taking them there.
I mentioned a little factoid in my blog about WWI and Dinant. I didn't know the US were in the first WW, but I have since learnt that they entered for the last one and a half years.
Very interesting.
Keep you spirits up and I hope you feel better soon,
Lisca

Divers and Sundry said...

Sounds like flu :( I do hope you're well soon and have a freezer stocked with chicken soup to last you.

I enjoyed seeing these WW1 posters, an interesting look back at the history, art, and propaganda of the period. War is destructive. I wish we'd learn.

Caty said...

Ohh dear Elizabeth I hope you´ll feel better soon, and don´t worry for the visits, now the most important is you.
Thank you very much for sharing those so beautiful photographs with us, they are all lovely and very interesting.
I wish you a good afternoon, and hope you´ll be better tomorrow. Take care, and big hugs, Caty

Elizabeth said...

So sorry you are not well, Elizabeth. I hope you shake it off quickly and can get back to that to-do list as soon as possible. Thanks for sharing the photos - the war to end all wars indeed! Take care and rest up while you need to. Elizabeth xx

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

Oh nooooo I really hope you are feeling better very soon....

Rita said...

Funny jokes.
I hope you feel better soon!!
*hugs*

mamapez5 said...

So sorry you are feeling poorly. I hope it soon clears and you feel better.
There are some very graphic pictures in your post today, but it is good to be reminded.
Your next post with the turtles on the beach was a much happier one and I enjoyed seeing that too. Kate x

Let's Art Journal said...

Hope you are feeling better soon! The museum looks a fascinating place, thanks for sharing 😀. Take care and wishing you well! J 😊 x

RO said...

Always love the laughter on Friday, and the museum pics are awesome. I'm concerned about you not feeling well, and sure wish I could send a hot bowl of soup and tea your way. Hope you're staying bed today to get fully healed and all better! Hugs...RO

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth, this is the first chance I've had to come back and have another look at your photos. Been to see mum and dad today and tried to catch up with some jobs yesterday. I have seen some of the prints you photographed as they have been available as copies in the UK. I can imagine the children maybe needing to move on from this room but maybe in time they will appreciate them more. I hope you are feeling better. The journal pages were great and I am hoping that might mean that you've felt well enough to do some crafting. Thanks for the visit to mine and have a lovely week, Angela xXx

craftytrog said...

Interesting wartime prints Elizabeth, I enjoyed looking at them.
Thanks for the laughs too!
Alison xxx