Monday, April 11, 2016

Cover it up!




Yesterday I showed this:

I got to thinking about the fact this was sitting on my covered porch, but what if it was out in the elements?  Susi suggested laminating the envelope, which she did, but I decided on a different approach.

That's when I decided to create a way to cover the project, since the paper would soon turn to mush when the rain came.  Also, I have to water the plants, so when they are in the garden, it will be hard to control where the water hits.  For this project my supplies are (from left):
91% isopropyl alcohol,  Sharpies, clean glass jars.

I knew the Sharpies would withstand rain and drenching, so they were my first and only choice.

Several hours later, I had created this, my feeble attempt at art.  I had removed the lids which will be obvious in a minute.  Because it took me so long to make this one, mainly because I had to keep going over the glass with the Sharpies until the design actually showed, I decided I was NOT going to use the alcohol, which would cause a runny mess.  I'd spent too long creating this "masterpiece" and didn't want to distort it.  Since it was so late at night,

I had to photograph this on my porch using my flash,

something I rarely, if ever, use.  But it was vital if you were to see the finished project, because I needed to get these photos off my camera and onto my blog before it got too late.

I didn't have to worry about the dill marker since there was no paper to disintegrate and because the laminate chip will withstand lots of water.

Just a reminder that T will be served at its normal time of 4:00 pm my time today.  Although it will post on Monday (this) afternoon, it will be the post for Day 12.

Thanks for looking and visiting today.  This is Day 11 of 22 leading up to bEARTHday and I kept a glass jar out of the recycle bin.  We are now half way through this recycling session.  Your visits keep me going, and you have NO idea how much I appreciate them.

5 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

The glass jar looks pretty, and makes a good cover for the plant marker. Laminating would be quicker, but you would create more of the plastic you are trying to recycle, so glass is, I think, a better option here. Have a nice day, and keep those recycling projects coming! Hugs, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

Nice. I think the jar is really pretty and makes a nice little design element. It is certainly cheaper than some of those garden decorations you can buy, and much more unique. I bet it will sparkle a bit when the sun hits it.Plus it will keep your seed pack fresh- so it goes double duty. Let me know if its even prettier in the sunshine. Hugs.

Divers and Sundry said...

A wonderful project made even better :) And it's plant-related, so I'm doubly happy :) What a lovely bright spot for the garden. Thx!

Meggymay said...

The glass jar painting looks great, it will catch the sunlight in your garden as well.
Yvonne xx

Cazzy said...

Great idea and so pretty!