Sunday, April 10, 2016

Stick a fork in it!


Today I'm going to peruse my vast array of flatware I have accumulated over the years.  I used to pick up mismatched pieces at thrift stores, anticipating ways to turn them into assemblage art.  I never paid more than five cents for individual pieces, but once the thrift stores raised the prices to ridiculous, I stopped getting them.  After all, how many unmatched spoons, forks, and knives does one person need?


I also have a vast array of laminate chips that are commonly used in counter top home improvement projects.  There are several brands, but the most famous are Formica, Pionite, and WilsonArt.  You used to be able to get them at big box home improvement stores in the US, or order a few online.

Here are a few I turned into magnets for Christmas one year

and a few more I made in September, 2008.  I'd say I've learned a lot about composition since then. 

Aren't we all glad I got rid of this horrible camera?  I displayed these on my refrigerator.

But now it's time to get down to business.  I began by raiding my boxes of knives and forks for suitable pieces.  I also show laminate chips and E-6000.

I picked a few chips I thought would go well in the garden.


I glued a laminate chip to the knife using the E-6000.

Then I turned the knife over and glued the envelope that originally contained coriander I planted earlier in the month.

I placed a note inside stating when I planted the seeds and how long before they would/should sprout.

Then I stuck the knife in the soil I had planted the coriander/cilantro in. 

Once in the garden, it will be easy to see this from both sides, but with it sitting on my front porch until all fear of frost is gone, I had to physically turn the knife around to photograph it.

Next it was time to deal with the forks.  Placing the laminate chips in the forks was easier than I anticipated.

I first considered gluing these to the chips,

then decided to go a different route.  For these, I chose to write the name of the plant/herb on the back of the chip using a Crayola marker.  Their new motto is "Black is the new green," because the plastic surrounding the ink is made from recycled pieces of plastic.

OK, I agree it's hard to see, but this is the Dill fork in action on my front porch.

Thanks for visiting today.  I know this isn't for everyone, but most of the recycled products I create won't be useful to some, while others will find them inspiring.  I hope this was informative to those of you who might like a way to mark your plants or herbs.  If you have a row of newly planted seeds, it might be hard to know where they are, or what you planted,  The pots are much easier, but once I get a bunch of pots planted, I am sure I will appreciate this technique.

This is Day 10 and I recycled a knife, several forks, and laminate chips.  Total cost was TEN CENTS for what you see here, not including the cost of the glue and ink.

As always I am grateful for your visit and comments.  They mean the world to me.

11 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

That's a great idea o make markers for the garden. Sometimes I have planted stuff out and forgotten what it was or where it was! This way you will always know what is where. Have a fun Sunday, and take care, hugs, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

I love your idea for the garden... that's cool- that would I need right now as well.. but I don't have the ingredients for it.. I just cut the seedpackages and laminated them and tucked them in the earth where I had planted.
Those embelleshed chips from the past are super as well ... and as always I loved to read your post!
Happy Sunday Elizabeth!

Meggymay said...

Now that is one fantastic idea Elizabeth. they would make a good gift for gardeners as well.
Yvonne xx

My name is Erika. said...

I have a bunch of those cheap forks too. For the potential art project that has yet to happen. Maybe I will use them for seed packet holders too. Very clever reuse. The magnets are fun too. What great little gifts. Have a great rest of your weekend! Hugs.

Linda Kunsman said...

great use of the utensils and laminate chips! haven't altered one in quite awhile but I do have a bunch of them in a variety of sizes that I had gotten free. Love the variety of pieces you created!

Divers and Sundry said...

What a wonderful idea for garden markers! Thx! I tend to just stick the label down into the dirt next to the planting area, figuring it'll last long enough ;) but your idea is much, much better :

Jeanie said...

Very fun idea! Like this one a lot!

peggy gatto said...

Thanks for the great fun idea!!! Can see you have been busy!!!

Halle said...

That is so smart!! Love the idea!

AiyanaKalyna said...

I love the fork planters. That is so neat. I am super fancy I use Venetian blinds or Popsicle sticks. :) I like your idea better. I am so envious you got coriander in the $4/1.00 seed packs. I buy those seed packs too and then splurge on a couple of more expensive varieties if I can get the seeds to germinate more than three seasons. I am a frugal gardener. I haven't been able to find coriander at my stores this year. I hope your coriander plant grows big and beautiful. I can't wait to see what other gardening inspiration you come up with.

Nan G said...

Love your plant markers E! I too have recycled a laminate chip...a huge piece of Formica sample to be exact. Stop by and see what I made of it, why don't 'cha. Hugs from me and the Girls.