Saturday, July 19, 2008

A few pages inside my friend's birthday book

These are the first two pages of the inside. I had never worked in a book that had photos in it before, so this was a real challenge. I didn't want to cover the pictures, but sometimes working them into the timeline of the book was a bit hard.

On the left is my introduction to George printed on my handmade paper (with my last name blurred). On the right, I took advantage of the picture to symbolize his belief that wind farms kill birds.
I seem to have cut off the sentiment in the upper left corner: "Carpe Diem." I printed it in several languages on my handmade paper.

The right was an experiment in paint and "found poetry." I hadn't learned how to layer paint properly at that time and couldn't find anyone to share how to successfully layer paint to where it didn't look muddy. Although it wasn't the best paint job, it gave the impression of a lot of movement on the page.
As you can see, I used a lot of stickers in those days. I don't do that so much anymore. Just another way I've evolved in my art. This is a piece named "When I was 10," and was written by my friend for a college class. I proofread it for him. Since I had saved it to my computer, I was able to print it on some pretty glitzy handmade paper.

0 thoughtful remarks: