Friday, February 22, 2008

Coll (AH) ge: my latest AB

I spent most of yesterday watching gesso dry. For the first time ever, I gessoed my cover before I started the first page in my new book, Coll (AH) ge. For my latest project, I'm getting back to what I do best and experimenting with what I do worst . Allow me to explain.

Ever since joining my first RR (round robin), I've struggled to make ABs where the side by side pages match. I forced myself to attempt to be better at this by making two ABs (Money, Time) and working in both Kat's and my Vintage and Asia books. However, my background is not in scrapbooking, so those side by side spreads don't come natural or easy to me, no matter how many I make.

Since I'm not an artist by trade, profession, or degree, for the first two years, practically everything I made was a tip-in. I acquired what I often call "Tip-in mentality." By that, I mean my spreads are often designed back to back, not side by side. To unite the two sides, I would often use similar or same images, elements, or backgrounds on both sides, sometimes wrapping one element around both sides.

Once again, I find I have more scraps than one person should have. They are taking over my small studio, even after concentrating on scraps in my Time book. The baggies that hold the scraps, sorted by color, are still looming and I want to use them, rather than pitch them. What better way, than to start a book on Collage.

Those who know me, know I struggle with composition. It really, really needs work. Read any book on art and you'll read that you can't get better unless you practice, practice, practice.

With those thoughts in mind, this book was born. By definition, collage is flat, two dimensional. There aren't a lot of bulky embellishments, 3-D elements, and fru frus on a collage. If there were, the artwork would be called mixed media or assemblage.

For the next few weeks, I will be practicing composition, using my scraps, and not worrying about a side by side spread or any specific theme other than collage. Each page in the book will be a stand alone collage which I will place on the right side of the page. The left side will be blank, except for the name of the collage located on the front side. You will also see them only on this blog. I won't make a separate blog for these, since each collage is a stand-alone piece of "art." I admit, there will probably come a time I'll start using up some of my charms and fibers, but for now, I'm concentrating on scraps and leftovers.

I would like to thank Kat, Linda, Belinda, Theresa, Ruthie, and others who have generously gifted me with many of these papers and images. Now it is time to put them to good use.
The first page in the book, titled "Cherish," uses tissue and scrapbook papers, along with pigment inks, and an image that didn't print well. I tried to bring the colors together with blue and black pigment ink pads.
This page uses scrapbook papers and die cuts. I named it "Four."
Leftovers from my Asian book are scrapbook papers, Oriental text, a magazine image, a ticket, all of which I blurred with black ink. The title is from a page in the book I used on Time. Logically, I call it "Hypothesis."
I began this spread I named "Locked" with a pigment ink background, then intertwined scrapbook papers and a magazine image.
Oriental text, rooster images, and handmade paper are all left over Asian scraps. I named it "Let's all crow."
Scrapbook paper, handmade paper, and a magazine image make up this spread I call Old Benz No. 1.
"Hunk" was made using scrapbook papers, an image of Marlon Brando in 1947, and letters cut from scraps.
"Untitled 1" uses scrapbook papers and glue. How simple is that? The hardest part was finding three background papers that matched.
"Kisses" begins with pigment inks for the background, the release paper from contact paper, and postage stamps that are far more red than the ink. This is something I'm going to have to be careful of in the future.
A tissue paper background, scrapbook papers, postage stamps, Ace bandage, and a word pebble are used to create "Remember." The circles were made with a large punch.
I began this spread using black scrapbook paper, then added what I considered "manly" paper. Next came the magazine image. I named this "Old Benz No. 2."
I'm off to make more of these. They are really addictive and I still have loads of scraps.
I would appreciate any constructive criticism on my collages. If you don't like one (or more) of these, please let me know and tell me why. I can't learn if I don't have feedback.

2 thoughtful remarks:

Halle said...

You are really on a roll! My personal favorites are: Locked, Untitled 1 and Old Benz #2.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting these. This is an area in which I also struggle & I really appreciate seeing your efforts.