Saturday, February 23, 2008

CollAHge part deux

You'll be happy to know that I'm slowly working away from red and pink scraps. I'm now in the pastels, although this page is a bit bright to be called a pastel. I simply call this work "I." Yes, it's more a play on words than a statement of self. The first layer of the collage is a painted background, topped by a melted crayon and gold leaf card I thought about throwing away. I hadn't intended to get crayon on both sides of the card (see where it folds in the middle), but when I did, I decided to place it back on the heat tray and add more melted crayon. I'm glad I did, because I think it makes a good transition layer. The top layer is a magazine image. I tend to prefer (and believe I create a better finished product) when shapes and geometry is established in the layout. If I can give any suggestion, it is to find what you do best and stay with it, composition wise.
The minute I saw the bird image on the back of this playing card, the sentiment, "A bird in the hand," popped into my head. I began with black paper and green felt, even going so far as to cut the felt in a sweeping circular curve to simulate a card table. By the time I finished the spread, I could have saved some time, since the curve doesn't even show. Faux money, left over from my Money book, extra playing cards, and a doily complete the spread.
Handpainted paper was used for the background and the gold leaf rimmed hearts I cut freehand. The image is from a junk mail ad. It had an arrow on Kennedy's arm, so I chose to cover it with the sentiment, "Let them eat cake." A design principle is to use repeating images in uneven numbers, thus the three hearts.
This spread is called "Word: Homage to Linda Findley." Other than the black background paper, which didn't quite cover the entire page (see lower right and right border), everything else came from Linda. The colorful frame began as strips of various stamped papers, cut into triangles and attached using a Xyron or possibly some other sticky two sided material (such as redliner sheets). I cut the larger block into 1/2" strips and used them as the frame. Linda, I hope you like how I used your excellent gifts.

0 thoughtful remarks: