Saturday, May 2, 2020

Second on the 2nd: ICADs


Don't you just hate it when people use acronyms and don't explain what they mean?  I have lots of those on my right side bar.  ICADs is one of them.  Many of you in the mixed media and art world know what it stands for, but others may not.  ICAD stands for Index Card A Day.  I'm sure you know what an index card is.  They come in two sizes: 3 inches X 5 inches and 4 inches by 6 inches.  They are not, to my knowledge, sold in metric dimensions.

You can buy index cards for an exorbitant price on Amazon, Walmart, or Staples.  If you live in the states, you can buy 100 for $1.00 (USD) at The Dollar Tree.  I suspect the Pound shops in the UK may have similar bargains.   Of course, if you have a ton of time, a good cutting tool, and file folders coming out your ears, you can make your own.  That's what I did and have done for several years.  I try to intersperse these with the last of my purchased index cards.

Today I'm not going to show you a completed set of ICADs.  You can find those on my Previous Collaborations page.  I've joined for the past seven years.  Instead, I'm going to show a few of my favorites.

Back in 2013, I followed the themes.  This one was called collage: sew, glue, or staple.

Can you believe I actually drew that maple leaf and fussy cut it last year on July 1?


Are you seeing a theme here?  Note the used file folder that replaced the index card.

My first ever ICAD.  Here's what I wrote:
I'm not an artist (someone who can draw and sketch), but having watched several people participate last year, I decided to try it.  Sorry, I cropped this a bit too much on the right side. So, using the prompt of the day on the ICAD blog run by Tammy of Daisy Yellow, I thought I would try my luck at collage.  And what happened?  The first thing I did was try to draw something.  You might want to join the fun, too. 



One of my favorite ICADs of all time.

This is one of those images I fussy cut and stapled to the index card (used file folder) using a single staple.

I think that's enough.  I hope I have encouraged at least one person to join ICADs this year.  Please let me know if you do, because I'm not on Facebook, Instagram, or wherever else people are sharing their ICADs.  It's time consuming enough (for me, at least) to be a blogger.  I apologize if this is not a normal Second on the 2nd post like I normally share.

Now it's time to share your own Second on the 2nd.  The rules are quite simple and everyone is welcome to join the fun look back.  All you have to do is bring back a post that you are especially proud of, or perhaps one you shared before anyone knew your blog existed.  Any post, any genre, any artistic endeavor is acceptable.  The only requirement is, it must have been published sometime in the past.  Then link below (direct links only, please) and Bleubeard and I, along with other Second on the 2nd friends, will be by to visit.

Please be aware this link is only open until Monday at T time, so linking on the 2nd is preferred.





16 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Fun ICADS. You can buy index cards here and I'm sure they are sold with metric measurements. I recently got a whole box full given me by people who were disposing of things from an office that was closing. But I still don't think I will join in, the small things are too fiddly for me to work with just now. Have a happy day, and hope your internet stays active! Valerie

kathyinozarks said...

Good evening Elizabeth, I enjoyed this post because I always enjoyed seeing this project-sounds fun but I don't know if I could stick with it like one is suppose too-good for you drawing! love your maple leaf too.
Happy second on the 2nd yes if it wasn't for Valerie posting early I would be late haha

aussie aNNie said...

Fun and fabulous.x

Iris Flavia said...

LOl? I have no idea what an index card is!!
Well, I disagree, you ARE an artist! Define art. You cannot! Art is being creative and that you are, for very sure.
I love the Know brainer!!!! And all the others, too, of course!

My name is Erika. said...

Oh these are so much fun to see because I think you are one of the ICAD queens. You certainly know how to make a good one. You certainly have a way to play with words! And it is nice to see your first ever one. And do you know your file folder probably makes a good background. The cheaper index cards (like we get at school) are almost just like cut printer paper. Not very good. I remember those nice heavy duty ones. Have a great Saturday and hope your sun is shining. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

Your ICADs are so clever and fun. My favorite is also the cat in the catbird seat. Take care and have a good day.

craftytrog said...

Wonderful to see some of your favourite ICADs again Elizabeth, I find them very inspiring and love creating them myself now. I hope to see you creating some more soon.
Alison xx

Karen said...

These are terrific! I love the know brainer ~ Very clever!

Divers and Sundry said...

I always enjoy your ICAD challenge posts. I even made an index card piece once -a sports theme, maybe? or geometric shape? I can't remember. I later deconstructed it for ATCs. I do enjoy looking at the creations people exhibit for this.

Instagram intimidates me lol So many gorgeous photos and art works :)

Selma's World said...

Hi dear, your blog is so beautiful. I really like it.
Follow for follow? I already follow you. Btw I am the new one and I would appreciate it.

https://salyaves.blogspot.com/

Jeanie said...

There are too many I love to pick a favorite! I love the ICADs (and I know what you mean about funky acronyms or text speak, too!)

Caty said...

Wowww Those Icads are Wonderful Elizabeth !! I looove them all, they are so different, full of details and sentiments. You say you aren´t an artist, but you have lotsssss of talent and you are very creative always.... so, yes, you are a Great ARTIST !! Congratulations!
I wish you a very nice evening and Sunday, stay safe and well, and I send
Big hugs,
Caty

Meggymay said...

These ICADS all look great, and so much detail. I think you are an artist and you inspire us in so many ways. Don't be hard on yourself and your creative art.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Elizabeth! First, apologies for not joining you this time, I just seem to be in a bit of a muddle these days!

Your ICADs are always a delight, your sense of humour always shines through! As you know I am always so impressed with the ideas you come up with, and of course whenever you use your sewing machine it is particularly a point of envy! I hope you weren't hoping I would nominate one favourite here as I can see why all of these are on your favourites list!

Pleased to read of you having a Scott shop!
Take care, Chrisx

Words and Pictures said...

What a wonderful trip down ICAD-memory lane! I love the Know Brainer, and the cat making his strategic approach to the bird table in the tree... I've often meant to join in with the ICAD challenge, but somehow there's always something which gets in the way. One year...
Alison x

Lowcarb team member said...

These all look great :)

All the best Jan