Sunday, September 2, 2018

Second on the 2nd: Flowers Time Forgot


Before we begin, I want to wish each of you who live in the states, a safe and enjoyable Labor Day weekend.   If traveling, be sure to do so safely.

For my second look today, I was once again inspired by Yvonne's fantasy theme at Art Journal Journey.  In looking back at the comments, so many of you who join us for a second look have seen this spread before. Those who haven't I give you this post in its entirety from August, 2015.  All links are valid but will only take you to each blog site, not that specific challenge.  I called this one

Flowers That Time Forgot

Today I'm joining Try It On Tuesday (even though it's Friday) with their latest challenge which is Sending You Flowers.  And for the first time ever, I'm combining three challenges, because I'm also joining Art Journal Journey whose theme for August is Time, as well as Moo Mania and More whose theme this fortnight is Embellishments.

Once again, I scanned my altered book which is larger than the scanner, but much faster than taking photos and trying to get them off my digital memory card (which is now a big hassle).  Yes, these are the flowers that TIME forgot.

I first painted the large flower using my handmade shimmering mists.  Instead of misting, I simply stuck a paintbrush in the bottles and painted a flower.  Sorry, I can't tell you the color names because I mix mica powders together to get the color I want.  Originally, I was planning to make a sunflower, but when I saw how the petals had feathered so beautifully, I decided to cut them into a fantasy flower, instead.

This is the other half of my mop-up Viva brand paper towel (or kitchen towel for those of you across the pond) I used on the The Reason For Time (ED: this IS a direct link).  I rotated the background 90 degrees to give it a different look.

A few step out photos show the fantasy flowers I cut roughly into circles and added an embellishment to the center.  The flowers were cut from Tyvek that had been dry brushed with craft acrylic paint, then stamped with large bubble wrap.

I used the only Time rubber stamp I own on the center of each petal.  (ED: it's obvious I have purchased more clock stamps since this post went live)

More embellishments were added to the center of the flower that took up most of the left side of the spread.  A real clock hand, a gifted hand that came from the scrapbook industry, and part of a silk flower were the embellishments I used for this flowery centerpiece.

The background of two of these flowers was made using bubble wrap and acrylic paint.  The centers were gifted clocks also from the scrapbook industry.  The tallest fantasy flower started with my shimmering mists to which I added the clock stamp.  The stems were hem tape, that lovely tape real seamstresses use when they add seams to skirts and pants. 

Another clock center embellishment was used on the third flower and three silk leaves were cut for the stems.

Materials used were my experimental altered book as my substrate, a mop up paper towel, handmade shimmering mists, various clock embellishments, a clock hand, a rubber stamp, Tyvek flowers, a silk flower, silk leaves, computer generated words, and hem tape.

I have been lucky this month with my entries at Art Journal Journey whose theme for August is Time and Moo Mania and More whose theme this fortnight is Embellishments, but when I saw the Try It On Tuesday theme, it all came together quite nicely.  Granted, I don't have the lovely flowers or flower dies I saw used by some of the DT members and entrants, nor can I draw like other DTs and entrants.  So I was a bit hesitant entering this challenge.

I sincerely hope you like it, my fantasy flowers that time forgot.


_________________________________________________


I believe this was the first time I entered a challenge at Try it on Tuesday.  It appears I'd entered several, if not many AJJ and MM&M challenges prior to this one.

As an aside, does anyone know the name of the font I used for my original watermark?  When I changed computers, I couldn't find or remember the name of the original font.

Now it's time to share your Second on the 2nd.  The rules are quite simple and everyone is welcome to join the fun look back.  All you have to do is bring back a post that you are especially proud of, or perhaps one you shared before anyone knew your blog existed.  Any post, any genre, any artistic endeavor is acceptable, as long as it has been published in the past.  Then link below (direct links only, please) and Bleubeard and I, along with other Second on the 2nd friends, will be by to visit.  Please be aware this link is only open for five days, so linking on the 2nd is preferred.






13 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

That's a lovely page Elizabeth, great idea with the time flowers. I can't remember having seen it before, so good to see it now. Have a wonderful day, Valerie

kathyinozarks said...

I love these flowers Elizabeth-thank you for sharing as I hadn't this one before.

froebelsternchen said...

Great to see this wonderful piece again! Amazing!
Happy Seconf on the 2nd dear Elizabeth!#
Happy Sunday!
Big hugs,
Susi

off to an invitation for lunch now --yummie day!

Jeanie said...

This is very pretty. I love how you used the clock face and the hands in the center of the flowers -- so perfect with the title of the piece.

I hope you have a very happy and safe Labor Day and thanks for coming by. (Oh, and at the point you saw Rick and the sandals, no heavy or sharp things were nearby. He's pretty careful about that -- just so you know. But thanks for mentioning it because sometimes I'm not quite so aware!

Meggymay said...

This is an awesome revisit, where does time go to, it sure passes quickly.
We are always thrilled when you share your inspirational art with us at Try it on Tuesdays.
Yvonne xx

Divers and Sundry said...

I love these fantasy flowers and how you used the paper towel. The little clocks are perfect, aren't they!

pearshapedcrafting said...

These really are a beautiful fantasy! Keeping this short, Chrisx

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Lovely look back, Elizabeth. Your pages are not only pretty but very clever. I love the watches you added. It took me a bit to notice them and then the light bulb went on - lol. You've given me more ideas for glimmer mists too. I need to find mica powder in blues and greens. Hugs, Eieen

Sharon Madson said...

Hello! I decided to join you again! And must turn off my laptop and unplug as it is lightning out! Eeek! Love your Flowers that time forgot journal page! You are so good at journal pages. Just lovely. Oh, you may put my blog on your side bar so you can find me! :) I see others have your T Stands for Tuesday logo on theirs. Maybe at Christmas (if it is ok with you) my grandson can help me do that on mine. I wouldn't have a blog if it weren't for my grandson who helped me start it. Have a safe labor day. ok, this lightning is wicked!

Cindy McMath said...

What a lovely page! I like the way you stamped the pocket watches in the petals, and the little clock charms. And that big flower is so bright and pretty! What luck you were able to combine all three challenges so that more people will see your lovely pages. PS - we also celebrate Labour Day in Canada (we just spell it differently - hahaha).

My name is Erika. said...

I love this flowers and the time theme. What a cool way to combine those 2 themes. I remember seeing this but it is so good to see them again. And your cleverness too. Hope it was a great Sunday (my daughter and her boyfriend were here today so mine was great.) And happy Labor Day. Hugs-Erika

Lisca said...

Thank you for sharing your first ever Try It On Tuesday entry. The flowers are great and I love those watches in the centre.
I'm really sorry I 'forgot' Second on the 2nd. I had a page prepared but I thought today (Monday) was the second. Oops! I was about to post it when I saw my mistake. Sorry.
Hope you had a good weekend,
Lisca

Jackie PNeal said...

Gorgeous flower spread! I missed this the first post, but happy to see it this TIME around! Clever use of the brads and hands for the flower centers.
Jackie xo