Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Voting

 

If you live in the United States, chances are you voted yesterday (or earlier) in your state's primary.  I learned there are three types of primaries, depending on in which state you live.


  I voted. 

An open primary doesn't require voters to be affiliated with a political party in order to vote for partisan candidates. According to Wikipedia:

In a traditional open primary, voters may select one party's ballot and vote for that party's nomination. As in a closed primary (such that only those affiliated with a political party may vote), the highest voted candidate in each party then proceeds to the general election. In a nonpartisan blanket primary, all candidates appear on the same ballot and the two highest voted candidates proceed to the runoff election, regardless of party affiliation.
In an open primary, voters may choose to vote in one party's primary election, regardless of their partisan registration.  In a semi closed primary, voters registered with a political party may only vote in that party's primary election. However, unaffiliated voters may vote in either.  In a closed primary, like Kansas, voters can only vote in the primary election of the party in which they are registered.  This is probably very confusing to anyone not familiar with our system of government. 

Yesterday was another of those unbearably hot days where the high for the day was around 106 F (45 C).  
 
The sign showed this was a designated voting place.

This church is one of several where voting booths were set up.
 
If you live in the States, I hope you exercised your right to vote yesterday or earlier.  Thanks for dropping by today.
 
 

7 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

Yay for voting (and of course I had to smile at the 45C!).

My name is Erika. said...

Our primary isn't until next month, so I didn't vote yesterday. I know they are talking about moving it to this August date, but the worry is that it is vacation time. Meaning the many people who live in NH and work in the tourist industry would not be able to get to the poles to vote because of all the tourists we get here. But come September, I will be voting. hugs-Erika

Tom said...

...106 F should reduce voter turnout!

MELODY JACOB said...

Heading into a local church for a polling place always gives it such a familiar, community-rooted feel, but braving that kind of furnace-like weather to do it is no joke. Huge props to you for pushing through the heat to make it count. Thanks for the reminder on why showing up matters, no matter how blistering the weather gets.

Christine said...

Best of luck

Lowcarb team member said...

Important to vote wherever you live!

All the best Jan

DVArtist said...

Our primary was in May and you know I voted. The state of Oregon has mail in voting. It makes it so easy.