Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Metal meets a witch

 

Today I'm back with another background technique. I'm sure some of you will have the needed supplies to complete this background. 


 
Supplies from left to right and top to bottom:

Heat tool (alternative is a hair dryer, which doesn't get as hot)

Cardstock, 110 lb, one for each page you wish to create

Metallic glazes (I chose copper and pearl)

Wonder Under sheet by Pellon, or Stitch Witchery (regular or heavy weight) by Dritz

I began by laying some metallic glaze on the cardstock using an old used gift card.  The pearl glaze was completely dry and hard and had to go to the trash.

Once I thought the glaze had dried, 

I laid bits of Stitch Witchery on the page.  Of course, I was a total fool.  When I ran the heat tool over the page, the bits of Stitch Witchery flew in all directions.  I still can't find the tiny bits because they are quite transparent.

I found I was unable to hold small bits of Stitch Witchery while attempting to heat and melt it.  In the end, I had to use long strips.  Although this is a fabulous technique, I believe I should have used the Wonder Under sheet instead.

Ruminations:

1. Check your supplies before you begin.  That way you won't be surprised when you are in the middle of creating your backgroumd.

2.  If you don't have a metallic glaze, you can substitute metallic acrylic paints.

3.  I sincerely suggest you use a sheet of Wonder Under.  It will still give you the lacy pattern, but won't look like strips of lace.

This is Day 10 of 22 and I shared a background technique I think most mixed media artists who sew will try.

 

11 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

Fascinating. Thank you. I do hope your soreness is diminishing.

Rita said...

Love the metallics. :)
I hope you are feeling better.

Tom said...

...I like the metallic glaze.

My name is Erika. said...

Where the wonder under melted it looks fantastic. Boy that creates some great texture. Do you have to use Glaze? I wonder if it would work with paint too? I haven't heard of this technique, but I really like it. Thanks for sharing these techniques, and I hope you're having a great week. hugs-Erika

Christine said...

Thanks for sharing your creativity

CJ Kennedy said...

Interesting effect

Valerie-Jael said...

Sounds like you had fun.... I hope your pains are diminishing! Hugs!

Lowcarb team member said...

Thank you for sharing this technique.
I hope you are feeling a little better.

All the best Jan

peppylady (Dora) said...

For me it wouldn't be wise to buy a gallon but I do like the effect.

craftytrog said...

Gorgeous effects!

DVArtist said...

I'm so far behind commenting. This is amazing. I am thrilled that you showed how to create with this. Thank you so much.