Sunday, April 14, 2024

Bring on the twinks

 

Do you mixed media artists remember when Twinkling H2Os were the rage a few years ago?  Did you indulge in buying a few?  I got mine on clearance and I used them a lot.  Then I put them away and forgot them.  Today I am pulling them out in order to create another background.  

Supplies from left to right, top to bottom

Twinkling H2Os

110 lb cardstock

Brushes (I used a flat 3/4 brush)

Dressmaker's tissues

Before I began the technique, I added distilled water to these H2Os so they would have a chance to go from solids to watery shimmers.  Be sure to use distilled water in case the H2Os aren't completely dry when you put them away.

I'm sure many of us know seamstresses who have old dressmaker's patterns they are willing to give away for the sake of art.

I added the three H2Os to the page using the flat brush.  I tried to allow the various H2Os to blend with each other in places, thus creating a new color. 
 
I color corrected this in PhotoShop.  I think it's a bit closer to the correct colors.  Too bad you can't see the mica that makes these so beautiful.  Allow your gorgeous piece to dry completely!

When completely dry, I drug out my matte gel medium and the dressmaker's tissues.

It's obviously still wet, but I love the results.  I will trim the edges when it's dry and scan it.

I fear the colors aren't as true as in the photo above, but it is still beautiful.

Ruminations:

1. I didn't get enough gel medium on the back of each tissue.  I found that out when I used what I thought was too much gel medium on the purple at the top.  I actually should have been adding more to all the tissues.

2.  I love how some of the lines of the tissues in back show through to the tissue on top.
 
This is Day 14 of 22 and I recycled some old dressmaker's tissues and got to play with my long forgotten Twinkling H2Os.


8 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

I had never even heard of Twinkling H2Os. I obviously move in the wrong circles.

Tom said...

...I'm with Elephant's Child!

Iris Flavia said...

Never heard of this, either!

Jenn Jilks said...

Well, live and learn! I hadn't heard of this!

Christine said...

Nice work

Rita said...

Oh yes! I still have a bunch of these! Found them when I went through the studio this last year. Must have been fun to get out old friends. :)

Lowcarb team member said...

I too had never even heard of Twinkling H2Os :)

All the best Jan

My name is Erika. said...

I haven't used my Twinkling H2O's in forever. I'm curious why you need to use distilled water in case they aren't dry when you put them away. hugs-Erika