Monday, April 15, 2024

Bleach Background

 

It's tax day in all the U.S.A., except Maine and Massachusetts who are celebrating Patriot's Day.  That's why they have until the 17th to file their taxes.  If you haven't filed by midnight tonight or requested an extension, the IRS will know!

Today we are creating a simple background technique that should be easy to complete and you should have most of the items needed for it.

Supplies (left to right, top to bottom)

Black card stock

Pale green copier/printer paper

Bleach

Water

Lid to hold bleach

Pumpkin foam stamp (purchased)

Tree foam stamp (purchased)

Select a soft or foam stamp to use in this technique.

Place a small amount of bleach in a container (mine was the lid to my water).
 
Dip stamp in bleach and transfer to paper.  I was a bit sloppy with my bleach.

After stamping, immediately soak stamp in water.

Black paper and bleach are a bit tricky.  I've seen items turn from gray to brown to red, depending on the black paper or fabric.

I may have gotten too much bleach on the stamp.

Definitely not my finest stamping.

I would say this is an epic fail, but I blame it on the cheap bleach I picked up at Dollar Tree.  It must have been old when I bought it.

Ruminations:
1.  Buy name brand bleach from the grocery store, not a store that carries a little bit of everything.

2.  Make sure your stamps are clean before you dip them in bleach.

3.  Don't over soak the stamps in bleach.  If necessary, remove some of the bleach before stamping your final project.

4.  Be prepared for surprises the first time you try this technique. 

Have fun with this very easy background or card technique.

This is Day 15 of 22 and I created a background that I consider a failure.  I guess they can't all be perfect the first (or every) time.

 

9 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

Our financial year ends on June 30th, and we have months to get our returns in. I lodged last years return only a few weeks ago.
Thank you for sharing your failures (though I think you are being hard on yourself) as well as your successes.

Mia said...

Never thought of stamping with bleach. Thank you for the tutorial and the inspiration, Elizabeth. Hugs, my friend.

Tom said...

...it's an extension for us this year.

Mae Travels said...

Happy tax day to you! I forgot it completely (we filed a while ago so no need to remember). I do hope congress acts to make taxes less burdensome on the poorest members of our society and to make very rich people pay a more fair rate.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Christine said...

Sorry you Are not happy with the background

Rita said...

Can also use bleach to draw with a paintbrush, but need to clean out the brush right away just like the stamps. Results depend a lot on the paper--yes. :)

Jeanie said...

Happy Tax Day. I got my two refunds back. Sorely needed!

CJ Kennedy said...

This looks like fun

Nancy said...

A fun technique. It must have been the bleach- never saw it fail to alter the surface before. Imagine how little it would do in the laundry!