Monday, March 11, 2024

T Stands For Spice Merchant Coffees

 

My sincere apologies.  This didn't publish as planned.

We are back today at The Spice Merchant for my favorite area, the various coffees.

After seeing the many spices and teas The Spice Merchant offers, this feels almost like a letdown.  However, one should remember, the teas and many of the spices were purchased in bulk.  All that was needed for the various teas was to package them or place them in glass containers.

Coffee beans sent to The Spice Merchant, on the other hand, come "green," and must be roasted in order to create the specific taste you choose.  Unlike the beans you buy at the grocery store or supermarket, these beans start out with no "flavor" whatsoever. Below is how Starbucks explains "green" coffee:
Coffee is a fruit. Green coffee beans are the raw seeds of coffee cherries that have been separated or "processed" and have yet to be roasted. All of a coffee's taste and flavor potential is held within this green seed. This potential is ultimately unleashed through roasting the green coffee.
Here are detail shots of various roasts produced by The Spice Merchant.  
 






You will always find me buying only the dark roasts, specifically Dark Sumatra.   I used to prefer French Roast until I found Dark Sumatra, which is the darkest coffee they roast.  Although I am not a "flavored coffee" fan, Tiramisu and Mexican Chocolate sound delicious to me.  Both rubber stamps came from a set I received from CJ.  I continue to find ways to use them.

It's now time to share your own drink related post.  It can be gifts you received, photos, a place you visited, movies, postcards, mail art, junk mail, catalogs, books, sketches, mixed media, drawings, paintings, handmade cards, tags, scrapbooking, or other art that is digital, hybrid, or traditional, a favorite mug, cup and saucer, teapot, coffee pot, or even a wine glass. Regardless, please join us by linking below.  Bleubeard and I will gladly visit, as will other T participants.  Please link only your T post and not your blog in general.  Bleubeard would like to remind you that old photos are acceptable because they may be taken any time, not just on Tuesday and not just this year.  Please remember to visit your fellow T participants. 
 
 
 

20 thoughtful remarks:

Tom said...

...and all of this coffee has left me along the side of the road.

Carola Bartz said...

Certified organic for me and flavored only on very rare occasions. Happy T day, my friend! Hugs - Carola

Christine said...

Happy T!

DVArtist said...

I used to be a coffee grinder and hit the good coffee shops. Not anymore. However, I too only purchased dark Sumatra. I did get it already roasted but grinded my own. I loved the rich flavor of it. I never uesed to put anything in my coffee. Those days are over. LOL
Thank you for the nice memory of the fragrence and the taste. Have a nice evening.

My name is Erika. said...

Not being a coffee drinker, I wonder how coffees from different places compare/contrast. I know a dark roast is different and obvious the flavored coffees are different, but I'm wondering about let's say Ethiopian to Costa Rican. I imagine it does vary depending on what nutrients are in the soil and how they affect the plant and then the beans. Maybe some day I'll see if I can find a tasting and try a few. Maybe.... have a great T day and week ahead my friend. hugs-Erika

peppylady (Dora) said...

I wouldn't know where to even start.

Mae Travels said...

Is the roasting done on the same site as the place you shop? Our local coffee roaster has a huge oven with special air filters that prevent smoke from escaping and causing pollution in the neighborhood. It’s a skill to get the roasting just right. When we bought coffee from a farm in Kona, the owner only allowed one very adept woman to roast the beans they grew.

I notice that only two roasts are on offer at your store: light and dark. Some of our sources also have a medium roast. The single-origin beans are all very special. This week, we are drinking Costa Rican coffee, which is very nice-tasting with smaller-than-avrerage beans. We have a few other favorites that we cycle through. We like Kona coffee but it’s around 3 to 4 times the price of other coffees, so we don’t buy it any more.

Sorry to be long-winded… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

kathyinozarks said...

Wow that is really nice that they roast their own beans. lots of coffee choices too
Happy New Week

Sharon Madson said...

I really do have to get to the Spice Merchant! I think even the coffee sounds good. I made it 2 weeks in a row, Elizabeth! Happy T Day!

Iris Flavia said...

Ingo now has a Nespresso machine (I dislike all the plastic-"rubbish" that comes along with it) and has a variety of coffee flavors.
The only coffee I can have is kids´ coffee, latte macchiato (with milk), that I always get "served" from dear colleagues when I am at work (which is seldom).
They have good coffee machines there, too.
One per floor! You would love it there, I reckon! Happy T-Day!

Valerie-Jael said...

Happy T Day,Elizabeth! Enjoy your coffee! Hugs!

Cloudia said...

I lived on Kona coffee land and have vivid memories of the plants. Blossoming with white flowers and then the red cherries containing the bees grow. Great coffee as was Blue mountain Jamaican that I got to taste in Jamaica. Thanks for hosting Aloha!

Cloudia said...

Beans not bees

Lisca said...

I'm not really a coffee lover. I have only one cup a day, any more and it will have to be decaf. I drink Columbian coffee if I can get it. Recently I bought a Brazilian decaf which is very nice. I use a French press to make my coffee. Hubby had a 'bean-to-cup' machine, which I don't use as it makes a pot of coffee and I only want one cup. And I have an enormous bag of coffee beans in my pantry. I must give it to someone before it becomes too old. (It's still sealed).
Thank you Elizabeth for regaling us with this long list of lovely coffees. The Spice Merchant certainly is an amazing place.
Happy T-Day,
Lisca

craftytrog said...

My husband likes a strong coffee, but it's only decaff for me these days. I'm a bit feeble when it comes to even the strength of that! Lol

CJ Kennedy said...

Snap. We both talk about coffee today. 😸 Happy T Day

Rita said...

I prefer the dark roasts, too, but will drink all kinds of coffee. Usually black. I would have fun trying out different kinds of coffees. Not a fan of flavored, though, usually. Will occasionally try vanilla flavored, but the flavored coffees are usually ground and I prefer to buy the beans.

Violetta said...

These are my favourits too, I am a coffee-addict :-). Another great variety of different kinds of coffee.
Happy T-day and a good time
All the best
Violetta

Lisca said...

Where’s my comment? I was one of the first to comment. Oh well, I think I also commented on the many types of roast. As I only drink one cup of coffee a day ( my preferred coffee is Colombian) I also have several decaf coffees. And I keep my coffee in the fridge. Don’t ask me why, it’s an old Italian habit.
If I remember I will feature my coffees next Tuesday.
Happy T-Day,
Lisca

Lowcarb team member said...

Belated Happy T Day wishes.

All the best Jan