Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Second on the 2nd

 

This post is for Second on the 2nd only.  If you are here for both Second on the 2nd and T Stands For Tuesday, please link both places.

I'm sharing a post I created back on September 7, 2010, not long after I started hosting T Stands For Tuesday.  This is one of my favorite Tea posts from days gone by.  Please be aware this was shot with my old camera.  I called it This Little Piggy.

 
This little piggy went to market,

    This little piggy stayed home,

This little piggy had roast beef tofu,

 This little piggy had none.

And this little piggy went...

"Wee wee wee" all the way home...

Totally trivial information:

Nursery rhyme words and lyrics first published in 1728.

"Marranitos” or “cochintos” is a Latin American pan dulce (pastry) brown, piglet-shaped molasses cookie that translates to “little pig.” Traditional marranitos get their spicy flavor from molasses and anise. Although sometimes called gingerbread pigs, there is no ginger or cinnamon in them.

They can be found in Mexican bakeries that sell pan dulce. 

These piglets go by many names: cochinitos, lechoncitos, chanchitos, and marranitos. Whatever you call them, you can’t keep them from jumping into your coffee. They also go well with black tea.

If you want to be decadent, serve them with ice cream.

Mug and matching freshly ironed dish towel by Taylor and Ng, both dated 1979.

Who in the world would iron a dish towel other than for show!  I forgot.  My grandmother would have.  She ironed everything, including my grandfather's hankies.

My drink of choice this lovely T Tuesday is freshly ground French roast coffee with half and half.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter


14 thoughtful remarks:

Lisca said...

Hello Happy New Year! I enjoyed looking at your marranitos. I must ask my Mexican friends about those.
I have also published a Second on the 2nd but I can't make the link work for me. I copied and pasted the URL but it won't accept it. But I'm sure you can find it if you want to read it. Sorry about that.
Hugs,
Lisca

My name is Erika. said...

My grandmother ironed everything also. It might have been a generational thing, or her just being fussy. I have never seen these little pig shaped cookies before. And I didn't "know" you back in 2010, so have never seen this post also. But it is a good one, and I do like looking back. I hope Jan 2 is going well. I've got a couple of minutes before I go check my covid test to see if I'm infected or not. I feel good but living with the hubby -time got away from me and I am still negative. :) Have a great day. hugs-Erika

Jeanie said...

Loving your little piggies and I think I'd like the maranitos, too! Love those flavors!

Tom said...

...those cookies are new to me.

DVArtist said...

Oh what a great post. I love these little piggies. Have a wonderful day today.

Rita said...

Never heard of the ginger pigs.
Happy New Year, Elizabeth!! :)

pearshapedcrafting said...

Theses look fun and I love the flavour of molasses! Hugs,Chrisx

da tabbies o trout towne said...

happee mew yeer two ewe bleu squiggles and elizabeth !! we hope 2024 iza pawsum awesum yeer for ewe all and each and everee day bringz sum thin grate yur way !! ♥♥♥

Iris Flavia said...

Cute piggies and rhyme!
Ingo´s ex-girlfriend even ironed socks and undies...

Lowcarb team member said...

I quite enjoy ironing ... many look at me strangely when I say that! LOL!

Looking back I think my dear mum used to iron most things, even socks!
Now I don't do that but I do get satisfaction in seeing the creases disappear whilst ironing shirts, blouses etc.

All the best Jan

peppylady (Dora) said...

One of my first job was ironing.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

A whole new way to eat pork! No guilt!

DVArtist said...

Elizabeth, I am so sorry you are going through so much pain. Please do what you have to do to feel better and I will be lighting a candle and sending healing energy to you.

Cloudia said...

Sweet Piggies!