Monday, December 18, 2023

T Stands For Spice Merchant pt 10: Kitchen Gadgets (?)

 

We are back at The Spice Merchant today, where we are looking for gadgets, as requested by CJ.   She even provided a definition:

Kitchen Gadget: a tool that makes a kitchen task easier or that adds a fun look to the kitchen. Like Bjorn, my new spoon rest/pot lid steam releaser. Tea infusers shaped like cats. A friend just told me she got a tool to make the X in chestnuts before roasting them! 

I'm not terribly sure

anything I photographed today qualifies 

for her definition, but I am showing a few kitchen gadgets

The Spice Merchant sells.  I think the Lucky Kitty sponge is cute, but calling it a gadget is stretching it a bit.

I love a good mortar and pestle, but I definitely prefer mine, which I picked up in Mexico years ago.

Some of these gadgets might fall under CJ's definition. I thought the Joie veggie and fruit covers were cute.  Not sure how effective they would be. 

I have a melon baller that has/creates a different size ball on each end.

I suspect most of us have several of these silicone tools. 
 
Mine are all navy blue which match my kitchen.
 
I nearly purchased a flour sack tea towel, because I read somewhere they were  good to use in eco-dyeing.

I thought the measuring cup was cute and I liked the idea it had a good grip.

I believe these might qualify for CJ's definitions.  The blossom is a pineapple corer and the cactus is a lemon or lime juicer.  I fear it would not work on an orange or a grapefruit. A true specialty item.

I saw several of these clean/dirty magnets for dishwashers.  I fear I would forget to change the direction, but since this is the first house I've owned that didn't have a dishwasher, I won't have to worry about that.  I guess Netflix subscribers who watch a show called Stranger Things will appreciate this.

Other gadgets that might come in handy.
 
It appears this mold makes three different pancakes at once.  That should fit CJ's definition.

I was impressed by the tiny funnels that fit in jars with small openings.

Not sure these are gadgets.  More like staples to me.  Doesn't everyone need a fat skimmer when making gravy?  

A few more essentials and a few specialty items.  Will that timer measure in seconds?  If not, it is worthless when cooking items like eggs. 

I really want that pastry crust double cutter.

And of course, I laughed at Batter Finger!!

I had to get a closer look at the double pastry cutter.  I am putting that on my wish list, even though I seldom make pies.

This might be handy for those who have a lot of different sized oil bottles.

On my way to the check out, I snapped this photo of a magnifier book mark.

At the check out, I was supposed to be tempted by the Elf On The Shelf,

pralines, and the Honey Bears.

I knew I needed a drink or a drink vessel, so to close out, we are now in my dining area where I am drinking out of my original PBS Kansas mug.

 I am drinking water with lemon wedges.

It's now time to share your own drink related post.  It can be gifts you received, photos, a place you visited, movies, postcards, mail art, junk mail, catalogs, books, sketches, mixed media, drawings, paintings, handmade cards, tags, scrapbooking, or other art that is digital, hybrid, or traditional, a favorite mug, cup and saucer, teapot, coffee pot, or even a wine glass. Regardless, please join us by linking below.  Bleubeard and I will gladly visit, as will other T participants.  Please link only your T post and not your blog in general.  Bleubeard would like to remind you that old photos are acceptable because they may be taken any time, not just on Tuesday and not just this year.  Please remember to visit your fellow T participants.



 

I realize we have another week of T Tuesday, but this will give you extra time to dig up your Second on the 2nd.  Since next Monday is Christmas, I'm not sure how many of you will be here for T.  I will be here, so hope to see you for Christmas (or Boxing Day) and a week later for New Year's Day and your Second Look on the 2nd.  The rules are quite simple.  You can use any post, any length, any genre, as long as it's been published sometime in the past.

 

31 thoughtful remarks:

Mae Travels said...

Those gadgets look very amusing. However, I suspect that many of them would end up hidden in a drawer or on the shelf because it would be more trouble than it's worth to use them. Thanks for the fun overview of the gadget racks, and thanks for hosting the tea party today.

I started my blog post with a famous image of people at a happy table drinking wine on a beautiful summer day: just what I need on a very dreary winter afternoon.

I hope you enjoy the holiday season!
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

jinxxxygirl said...

Enjoyed your installment of the visit to the Tea Merchant.....Always enjoy these posts... I'm not a kitchen gadget person.. though my daughter is and would have loved any number of these.. Thank you for the look/see Elizabeth! Our Christmas with the GrandLittles has been postponed until the 11th of January.. Thats ok... takes a little pressure off getting everything ready.. lol! You have a lovely Christmas.. I do hope to have a post to join in.. Happy T day! Hugs! deb

Valerie-Jael said...

I used to buy lots of useful gadgets and most of them have never been used! But there is really a lot to see in that store! Happy T Day, Valerie

My name is Erika. said...

I love seeing all these kitchen gadgets. I like gadgets- at least ones that actually help you do something. I don't buy many, but every now and again I see one that seems useful. And I have to laugh because I shared a new gadget that I bought awhile back in today's post. Great minds do think alike-grin. We have a clean and dirty magnet on our dishwasher. It definitely helps, and it's easy to remember to use it as long as it gets switched when someone turns on the dishwasher and when they empty it. I like the Stranger Things one. It's more exciting than mine. I hope you're feeling better and have a great T day. hugs-Erika

Rita said...

I recently purged a lot of the ones I did have...and I didn't have a lot. They are fascinating, though. lol!

Carola Bartz said...

Seeing all those kitchen gadget is fun, but I don't think they are really that useful. I do have a few myself and I use them. However, I can spend quite some time in a store looking at those gadgets - then not buying a single thing. My kitchen is pretty well equipped and I don't feel the need for any of these fancy things. I had to laugh about the batter finger, that was a neat idea. I hope you will have lovely Christmas, Elizabeth. Happy T day!

Christine said...

Neat gadgets

DVArtist said...

Ohhh they just have everything there. I sure would like some of those wisks. I need a baby one. LOL so may gadget for the kitchen. I sure do like your tree and mug. Have a very nice evening.

Tom said...

...this even we were at our daughters, she is the queen of kitchen gadgets. ☃️ 🎄 ❄️ 🎅🏼

Elephant's Child said...

Some of them look like fun - and the perfect gift for someone with everyone.
I like your choice of drink - and love your little tree.

Iris Flavia said...

What is the avo, a sponge? WANT ;-)
A white mortar... hmmm, will show what you do with it, interesting idea. Ours is grey.
The covers are very cute indeed! The cactus is adorable.
Like you, I am the dishwasher But at my company we have some and really, those signs would come in handy! They are always closed and I cannot hear if they are running as they are so silent!
Just last night I asked my Brother if little Niece would be in for a Paw Patrol baker. She´s too old, he answered. Sad, huh.
That store is dangerous, how can you even enter???? The finger, LOL!
Have a great T-Day, dear host - and if I ever can visit you, do not take me to that store. It´s like our super-book-store, Graff!

Rostrose said...

Dear Elizabeth, this is a wide range of kitchen gadgets. I think some of them are really useful, some are just pretty or funny. I had to laugh at the batter finger too! :-DD
To be on the safe side, I wish you a wonderful Christmas ⛄🎄🕯️ and a happy new year 🍄🍀, because things are a bit busy for us and I don't know how often I'll get to write posts and do blog rounds!
All the best and have a good time - happy T-Day!
Traude
☕🧸🍷🕯️☃️🕯️
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/12/weihnachtliche-lichter-klimts.html

Lisca said...

Thanks for taking me to the Spice Merchant again.. this would probably be my favourite department. I do a lot of cooking and love gadgets. Some can be very useful. I notice when I am in someone else’s kitchen (like my sister’s) and I offer to cook, that I miss certain things. For instance, I miss my favourite peeler and good knives. My own kitchen is well equipped and I wouldn’t need anything apart from the angled measuring jug. Mine broke and I miss it. I also love the butter finger, and smiled at the avocado sponge.
Hugs and happy Christmas,
Lisca

CJ Kennedy said...

Thanks, Elizabeth, I loved this post. You made me feel as if I was poking around the store looking for gadgets. The Batter Finger made me laugh. One year, I gave Himself a long metal spatula thing to get every bit of peanut butter from a jar. The Batter Finger reminds me of that. I loved the cactus reamer, too. Happy t Day

Divers and Sundry said...

So many gadgets! I'd need a bigger kitchen. My drawers are bursting at the seams, and my countertops overflowing as it is lol

I do like Stranger Things and look forward to the next season, but I don't use my dishwasher...

I like your cloth tree. I have a similar tree my mother made.

Happy T Tuesday!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

bleu N squiggles that cat sponge iz awesum! N hay, we haza tree just
like that heer in trout towne 🎄how kewl iz thiz!

happee holly dayz two ewe and elizabeth 🎄⛄️😺💙🐟

Empire of the Cat said...

oh what a lot of useless? useful? items we humans add to our kitchens lol. I have a few of them too but I think they are mostly in drawers unused. I should really get rid of them. I picked up a mango slicer a few years ago, it works really well but how often do I need to slice a mango and when I do how often do I remember I have a mango slicer haha. I use a knife for that and also for cutting pineapple. Not seen a pineapple corer before but also never needed one. Your xmas card is in the mail but who knows when it will reach you! Happy T Day! Elle xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Loved seeing all those gadgets at the Spice Merchant, lots of fab Christmas presents to be found there I'm sure - the smiling mushrooms and cat caught my eye 😄. Sorry I haven't been around this month, we've been visiting family and went to Prague for a few days, it was very Christmasy and we had an amazing time. Wishing you joy and happiness, Merry Christmas! Hugs, Jo x

Violetta said...

So much things in this shop - amazing, and I wonder who should buy and use all these things.
Have a good time and Merry Christmas - and before of course - Happy T-day
Violetta

Debra said...

Oh, your house is pretty! And I LOVED the gadgets you photographed! Such a fun store!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Ooh! I do love a gadget (actually we both do) Still to use our latest - bought two weeks ago in a sale - an apple corer/slicer and an egg slicer. Loved seeing these at Spice Merchant-I really need a cherry stoner! My favourite that we use a lot is a jar opener. Happy T Day, Chrisx

Cloudia said...

Wow love them all!

peppylady (Dora) said...

Interesting place to dream.

mvmaithai said...

Interesting and so many to choose from! I'm a minimalist as I live in a small space. Even though I love to cook, I don't have all the fancy gadgets in my kitchen. Ditto appliances.

Jeanie said...

I would be in such trouble here!

If I don't get back before we leave for the holidays, have a very Merry Christmas. I'm sorry I can't go backwards and see your other posts -- when I try, all I get is your banner. But I know it will be lovely!

Lowcarb team member said...

I couldn't get over the number of items/gadgets for sale.
Great post.

Taking the opportunity to wish you a Merry Christmas.

All the best Jan

Spyder said...

Loving all those kitchen things...especially the Stranger Things, thingy with magnet! (I wish they'd hurry up with the next season) I'm late as always!!
((LYn))
Merry Christmas for next week!

Sandra Cox said...

The pictures and store certainly fills the gadgets pigeon hole, doesn't it?
I hope you are feeling well and getting plenty of rest.
Hugs

Divers and Sundry said...

Merry Christmas Eve Eve ;) I'm having kahlua coffee (with homemade kahlua given to me for Christmas) for breakfast this morning. I'm thinking of you while I hold my cup and hoping you are well :)

Rostrose said...

Dear Elizabeth, I'm here again to thank you for your lovely comment. I also wish you and everyone you love (people & animals) a wonderful Christmas ⛄🎄🕯️ and a happy, healthy New Year 🍄🍀!
Hugs & all the best, Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/12/winter-wunderland-und-frohe-weihnachten.html
🍀❣️🧸🎠❤️⛄🍄🎄

DVArtist said...

Hi Elizabeth, stopping in to wish you a very Happy Christmas.