Saturday, December 2, 2023

Second on the 2nd: In the nighttime

 

As many of you who frequent my blog know, whenever possible, I like my Second Look to somehow reflect what our current host at Art Journal Journey is featuring.  That means I had to look for something that reflected the sky which was chosen by Wendy K from Wendy's Craft Journal.

Below are two different entries I found that meet that requirement.

  This is my first entry.  You can see I started with water soluble crayons and a day/night rubber stamp. I completed the page, but forgot any step-out photos.  That's when I decided to  show the materials I used to make this page.  I love my water soluble crayons, a gift one Christmas from my friend Cindy that just keeps on giving.  I've also used this wood mounted red rubber stamp before, too.  It was also a gift, but the giver no longer has a blog.

When I think of the passage of time, one of the ideas that came to mind was how time changes from day to night, then from night to day.

I colored the yellow side first after masking the other side using a sheet of card stock and washi tape.  I wondered if I shouldn't have colored the yellow side on the right where the numbers were more conducive to daytime.

Then I decided the way my life is, I'm up when others in my country are asleep, and I sleep when others are out and about. 

For the dark side, the mask slipped a bit and some of the blue bled into the yellow, which turned to a lovely shade of green.

For this page, I started by printing a clock from The Graphic Fairy (see my right sidebar for link).  Before I cut it out, I colored a background in light blue and orange.  I wasn't sure how much of this background would show, so I colored the entire cardstock using my water soluble crayons.  The hard part for me was cutting out the clock, then hoping against hope I didn't mess up when I stamped the sun and moon stamp.  

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiVW7mTDPqFeQ8eETRkKi5IJTDk5uu1IqIe02MpGShua0-OgBRxIQ5TEyYfWdgSOVpVVM7uJ8gsI1P27FN6y46lZQ2daFsMpwH4L6-WaAk_JLYJ5IkKkdJJXRZ1_LC-gxH-U5M7Bg/s640/1.jpg  For my second entry, it's fairly obvious 

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEg52wPuwmqHldSyMf8V2pO_CgNzfwfxj7EQUSrFdCO8NXksNK71CehD1zu1w0C1RKB3Div2aRazQIRdfydsZKUE59NPlT2dHxM4cSfKDDUdc5rQcRVV1pb3O7sG1sFwtqHxyoAAKg/s640/5.jpg  I named this "Night on the town."  

Believe it or not, this is a photo of a stunning quilt.  Isn't it lovely?

For this page, I began by creating one of my favorite backgrounds: 91% isopropyl alcohol and a green Staz-on reinker.   For the words, I started with paint chip samples from the hardware store that I sewed in place using green variegated thread.  The buttons were some I had been gifted.  I wanted the threads long and dangling to honor the quilt. 

I've shown you my second look, please show me yours.  


 

 

 

This post will only be good until 4 p.m. on Monday, December 4, so it's best to share your second look today. 

 

11 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

That quilt IS lovely. As is your work.

Iris Flavia said...

Love the Day To Night especially.
I remember how difficult it sometimes was, traveling Outback Australia, catching a Birthday-person in Germany. Or, worse, when you needed to your bank in Germany. "Day To Night"!

Lisca said...

I love your 'Day and Night' page. Very appropriate for the T crowd who live in different parts of the world.
But the night on the town is also great. Your sewing machine had a field day.
Thank you for your memories.
Hugs,
Lisca

Tom said...

...keep looking up!

My name is Erika. said...

These are great to see. I remember the clock-night to day one. But I don't remember the night on the town one. That's a cool lady. Happy december 2 to you. hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

Nice stylized image of the woman on your second piece.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Valerie-Jael said...

Sorry, I forgot to link. Got Covid and can't think well. Have a great day, hugs

Valerie-Jael said...

Sorry, I forgot to link. Got Covid and can't think well. Have a great day, hugs

DVArtist said...

Ohhh I love this lady in a green dress. I do remember the day to night art. Always so clever with your art. Have a nice day today.

Christine said...

Nice work

carol l mckenna said...

Lovely art works ~

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)