Thursday, July 13, 2023

Take Flight

 

Today I am joining Alison from Craftytrog's Arty Adventures who is our host this month at Art Journal Journey  Tonight I will also be joining Nicole's Friday Face Off.  Alison's theme is Come Fly With Me, and the butterflies fit that category.  And because butterflies have faces, I can also share them with Nicole and her Friday Face Off.

I thought this would be a quick entry, but it wasn't as quick as I had hoped.  Let me share the page now.

Bleubeard and I call this butterfly explosion

"Take Flight."

 
This started as a sheet of 110 lb cardstock, to which I added two colors of Staz-on reinkers and 91% isopropyl alcohol.   The blue was much more mottled than the pink, which spread over much of the page.  Once dry, I glued the top layer of this gorgeous napkin to the page using glue stick a bit at a time and smoothing it as I adhered it to the page.  Happily I got very few wrinkles.

I decided to write the sentiment using ransom style letters.  That posed a problem and took longer than I envisioned.  However, in the end, I am happy with how it turned out.  

I hope you will join Bleubeard and me at Art Journal Journey and Friday Face Off.  
 
BTW, there will not be a Second Thursday Tutorial this month.  I have too many irons in the fire right now and am unable to finish the papers I started last month.

 

19 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

LOVE the flutterbyes. Thank you.

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely butterfly page, nice to see so many different ones! Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

I haven´t seen a single butterfly so far - so thank you for this beautiful page!

Tom said...

...this year butterflies seem to be scarce.

My name is Erika. said...

Your napkin is gorgeous Elizabeth. I feel like I am in a butterfly house with so many pretty flying butterflies around me. I'm glad you mentioned the background inker because I didn't notice it at first looking at all the butterflies. Nice entry for Alison's challenge, and I hope it's not so hot today. hugs-Erika

Debra said...

Very beautiful!

craftytrog said...

A fabulous explosion of butterflies Elizabeth! I love your ransom lettering.
Thanks for another great page for my theme.
Alison

Jeanie said...

Beautiful entry and I can see why it took a long while! An explosion indeed!

Christine said...

Nice work

Neet said...

I love how you put random colour behind the tissue napkin, it has come up with a fabulous effect. It certainly fits the brief that Alion has set for us - great flight on your page.
Hugs, Neet xxx
ps the blue thing like a Crop a dile on my desk yesterday was a corner rounder - made by - Crop a dile.

CJ Kennedy said...

Beautiful. Likie Iris, I haven’t seen any butterflies

Carola Bartz said...

This is beautiful, Elizabeth. I have yet to try and incorporate a napkin somehow (I have a very beautiful one that has been in my stash forever). You just use a glue stick to adhere it to a page?

Gillena Cox said...

OMG your butterfly collage is fabulous.
Happy Friday.

Much💜love

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Beautiful flutterbys!

Gene Black said...

You did a great job smoothing that napkin. I know from experience (trying to use one in collage) that it is quite difficult to get smooth.

DVArtist said...

Wow! This is so pretty. You did an excellent job with this art piece. Thank you for sharing it with FFO and have a lovely weekend.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I got some butterfly fabric. I been creative also.
Coffee is on and stay safe.

pearshapedcrafting said...

This looks wonderful Elizabeth - just a few more than we get around here - I hope we get to see more over the Summer - a truly lovely AJJ page, hugs Chrisx

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

A beautifully busy page, Elizabeth and it took me awhile to find the "flight" part of "Take Flight" :) You must be very patient to be able to paste a napkin on a background without wrinkles ... my hats off to you. So was Bleubeard involved in any way? He could have smoothed with a swipe of his tail, yes? You do seem to enjoy your art and it shows ... Stay well, my friend ...

Andrea @ From the Sol