Thursday, June 29, 2023

Second Thursday Tutorial: Painted Papers

 

You may have been here yesterday when I showed the paints and papers on my table.

These are the basic materials for this post.

From left clockwise:
Various book pages
Two cups with water, one for thinning paint and one for cleaning the brushes
Ice cream lid used as palette holding paint colors and brushes
Polyethylene disposable gloves

As usual I forgot something, and that is a palette knife.
 
Here's a closer look at the colors I have chosen.  I don't have white fluid acrylic, so I am using a different brand.

The first thing I did was line the pages up in the proper direction and the side I chose I thought would look best.  Then I got super busy creating these first layers and forgot to take any photos.

I used these pages to clean my palette knife and the tops of both the blue and green Phthalo bottles.

I started with Phthalo Blue as it came out of the bottle.  I didn't realize how long it was going to take for these marks to dry.

Next, I added white and it changed the color quite a bit, I thought.

Even more white made the Phthalo blue (green shade) look like a watercolor, but acted like an acrylic on the various pages.

The page back left was out of order and should have been with the first ones where the paint was straight from the bottle.  The page back right was watered down with both white paint and water.

I was almost out of room on my craft room floor, so I switched to Phthalo green (blue shade).  The marks on these pages were straight from the bottle.

I was so glad I found one blue page (bottom right), so you can tell the difference between the green and blue.

It's really obvious I will need more time to work on these pages.  I haven't even opened the silver, yet.  I will continue working on these, because this is just the first layer of each.  I still need to add more marks and more layers.  And of course, I have all those pages on the left I have not yet started.  Nothing like waiting until the last minute to try to create a tutorial that will more than likely take a week to complete.
 

One good thing.  I know what to look for next time and what space I need for drying time.  Once this goes live, I will call it Part 1 and show Part 2 next month.
 

 

10 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

I look forward to seeing the next stage! so far, great mark making.

Elephant's Child said...

How I love your creativity. How are you feeling? Much, much better I hope.

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, my question, too: Do you feel better?
I´m really looking forward to part 2 now!

kathyinozarks said...

this looks like a fun project and what Iris said hugs

Tom said...

...blue comes in so many different shades, it's my favorite color.

My name is Erika. said...

I'm curious to see where you're going with these Elizabeth. I'm definitely loving the blue! Happy Thursday.hugs-Erika

Sandra Cox said...

Ooh, I like the idea of an ice cream lid for a palette. Good thinking.

Sharon Madson said...

LOL. Since I have been there, I can picture you backing out of your craft room with the pages drying, and running out of room. Looking forward to part two.

Rita said...

I also hope you are feeling better. :)

Nancy Chan said...

You are very creative. God willing, I am looking forward to doing some art after completing my chemo treatment.