Friday, June 9, 2023

Friday Smiles 516 :the early spring garden

 

It's Friday, which means it's once again time to join Friday Smiles, hosted by Annie (at A Stitch in Time). Let's visit Annie and the other wonderful ladies who also share their smiles each Friday.  

These are my herbs and plants that overwintered in my house.  Sad looking lot.
 

  These are the herbs I purchased on Herb Day and the ones that had been in my house.  Now most of them are dead.



I dug out a few pots I could use to transfer my herbs.

In early April, the tulips I bought at our botanical gardens one year have now bloomed.  I had no idea what color I was buying, so I was surprised how many of these were the same color and design.










Some wonderful bird gifted me with these lovely wild grape hyacinths.

I planted the bulbs on the left.  I get foliage every year, but they have never bloomed.

This is the foliage for the Surprise Lilies that will bloom this summer.


My Lilies of the Valley also bloomed in April.

The wheelbarrow that held all "perennials" apparently didn't hold all perennials.  Now I must get this posted, so no funnies this week. 
 
Please join Bleubeard and me at Friday Smiles.  It goes without saying, but we will anyway, please start your weekend with a big huge smile.
 

17 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

LOVING your tulips and the grape hyacinths. Sigh for the herbs.

mamapez5 said...

It is a shame your herbs didn't over-winter better, but the tulips are beautiful.And I envy you the lily of the valley. Mum paid a huge sum for one little spray of it to go on my wedding cake. I am afraid it would never take over here though. Hope you have something to smile about this week. Kate x

Mae Travels said...

I hope you'll be able to replace the herbs that didn't make it earlier this year. We had been enjoying our garden until the smoke arrived, and I hope it won't get to Kansas!

best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Tom said...

...plants always make me smile.

Valerie-Jael said...

Love the tulips! Valerie

kathyinozarks said...

Beautiful tulips, so sorry about your herbs-that would be disappointing hugs

Annie said...

It's a shame your herbs didn't over winter but your tulips are beautiful.
Hugs,
Annie x

Debra said...

Your tulips are so pretty. And I love that rusty beautiful wheelbarrow.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I suppose that a gardener is always faced with successes and "not quite" successes and you have to accept them all. Too bad about the herbs but a new batch may do really well. Last night for dinner I made a caprese salad with fresh basil from the garden, and a lemon/garlic chicken dish with fresh parsley from the garden. Not bad, huh? Miriam was happy when I called her to the table. I also had gone to the bakery to pick up a baguette which we used to mop up the surplus dressing from the salad and it is delicious. The only thing missing was a bottle of wine, but I'll rectify that tonight!

Rita said...

I especially like your yellow and red tulips!! :)

Jenn Jilks said...

Gardening is tricky these days.
The tulips are delightful, especially since they last such a short time. I've no success with herbs!

Iris Flavia said...

Wonderful herbs and flowers, oh, but such a garden must also be hard work?
Absolutely love your wheelbarrow!

Christine said...

Enjoyed this post!

My name is Erika. said...

Your plants just look like they could use some TLC. They can be as demanding as kitties (and dogs in my case). I came home to weed overload-smile. Thanks for sharing. I hope you are feeling better from your fall and sore arm too. Happy weekend. Hugs-Erika

craftytrog said...

Sad to hear about your herbs, but the tulips are spectacular.

Jeanie said...

My garden is a mess Elizabeth, so I feel your frustration with your herbs. We sorely need rain.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh how I wish I could visit your garden Elizabeth! Herbs have a habit of picking up and taking over so hope that this bunch do too! Hugs, Chrisx