Monday, May 29, 2023

T Stands For Two Birthday Meals

 

This is an extra long post today, even for me.  I know you are all going to groan, but I decided to share both birthday meals I shared with Sally.  

Before we begin, I want to address a few concerns from last week's T post at Angelo's.  First, I didn't realize we were charged for the bread until I got home and started adding the cost in my head.  Second, the restaurant is NOT OPEN for lunch.  Dinner only.  That always costs more.  Third, I do not wear nail polish ever!  And fourth, I left a review on their web site. I had to "join" their rewards program before I could leave a review, but as soon as I saw the review I unsubscribed.  Regardless, the prices reflected a high end restaurant, but the atmosphere and the decor did not.  Remember, this is Wichita, Kansas prices, not the east or west coast prices.  Now enjoy the two meals I experienced on and around my bEARTHday. 

When we arrived, we walked in the wrong entrance and had to return to the bitterly cold and windy entrance to find the correct door.  I wish I had taken a few photos because there was beautiful art in that vestibule.

I was sitting in the wrong spot and I even told Sally she was backlit.  I tried to lighten in Photoshop, but it just muted the colors.

This is straight off my camera.  At least you can see the water with lemon we both ordered.  Because we were the first customers of the day, we had our choice of where to sit.


This is their lunch menu, but you can probably see their restaurant better online, here.  Their lunch menu is here.  Sally ordered the Beef Medallion Special and I of course, ordered Shrimp Scampi. I took photos of our menu choices, but deleted them since this will be long as is.

I guess I wanted to make sure I got a photo of our water with lemon, my entry for T Tuesday.

This is a beautiful restaurant with well appointed details.  No paper napkins or oil cloth table covers here!  Just fanned linen napkins and real linen tablecloths.

Then came the gift Sally gave me.

Inside was this beautiful card

and what Sally wrote.

I chose Thursday because I knew it wouldn't be as busy as Saturday.

I know many of you have already seen what Sally gave me.

These are the instructions

and this is the visual of how to get this lovely bouquet to stand.  But then it was time to lie it flat so it could go back in the envelope (which it never did), and prepare to eat.

Our wonderful server brought our food (Sally's Beef Medallions)

and my Shrimp Scampi, which I remembered to photograph.  There were over 20 shrimp in this French version of Shrimp Scampi.  Not the traditional Italian way I've had it in the past, but delicious, none-the-less.  The scampi sat on top of linguini, which is just barely peeking out below the perfectly de-veined shrimp.  It was as written in the menu "Sautéed with just enough fresh garlic lemony crème sauce, lemon, over linguini pasta."
 
Without being asked or even mentioned, the waiter brought me a piece of birthday cake.  Isn't it beautiful? 

I asked our server if I could get a photo of him.  I think I embarrassed him as much as I was surprised by the lovely slice of cake.

The only photos I got of the restaurant were of the entrance,

a peek at the men's room,

another room that was just being set up,

and a view of the vestibule in the background where we originally entered the building.

As we were leaving, I took a photo of this from our newspaper (from back when newspapers were made of real paper and not digitally streamed).  Sadly, I am so short, I couldn't get a really good view of the article.

Here is the exterior of Cafe Bel Ami

from both directions.  Those of you who are here for Monday Murals might recognize one of the graffiti murals I have featured.  Bel Ami is located at 229 E William, Wichita, Kansas (USA).

The second birthday meal was on my actual birthday.

Little did either of us realize that in just a few hours, both our lives would change for the foreseeable future.  However, we still had a breakfast to eat and a trip to the garden center where I purchased herbs that are now dead.

Sally and I got two specials.  I had to laugh because everything she got, I got the opposite.  I got what was supposed to be sunny side up eggs, but were a bit well done for my liking, while Sally got scrambled.  She got bacon and I gave her my sausage patties.

She got pancakes, I got a waffle.  She ordered grits and toast, while I ordered biscuit and gravy. 

When our waitress learned it was my birthday, the entire crew came around and sang happy birthday to me.  The patrons of the entire restaurant joined in.  I was SO embarrassed, I wanted to hide.  The waitress also gave me a bowl of ice cream with whipped cream and a cherry on top, which I shared with Sally and forgot to photograph.  SUCH different experiences than Sally and I had on her birthday.  Even she admitted she had picked the wrong place for her birthday!

Now it's time to share your own drink related post.  It can be gifts you received, photos, a place you visited, movies, postcards, mail art, junk mail, catalogs, books, sketches, mixed media, drawings, paintings, handmade cards, tags, scrapbooking, or other art that is digital, hybrid, or traditional, a favorite mug, cup and saucer, teapot, coffee pot, or even a wine glass. Regardless, please join us by linking below.  Bleubeard and I will gladly visit, as will other T participants.  Please link only your T post and not your blog in general.  Bleubeard would like to remind you that old photos are acceptable because they may be taken any time, not just on Tuesday and not just this year.  Please remember to visit your fellow T participants.





Since it's the last week of the month, I need to remind you it's now time to dig up your Second on the 2nd.  Any style, genre, length is acceptable as long as it has been published in the past.


23 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

So glad your Birthday celebrations were delicious and with friendly staff, that's always great. Heike would have loved your Scampi, that's always her fave food! And birthday cake and singing wait staff - what a happy treat! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Sharon Madson said...

Your meals definitely sound better than last week's. It sounds like they really spoiled you. Happy T Day! (See you soon)

Mae Travels said...

So good to hear that you found two places with good food, good service, good decor, and a great attitude. All the menu items you described sound just delicious. Many happy returns or the day!

best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Tom said...

...a backlit photo is destined to be a dumper! I know that I don't get out much, but $3.25 for soft drinks and coffee? Happy Birthday and by the way, I just bought three new tie dye shirts.

Helen said...

sounds like two wonderful birthday meals, and the cake looks gorgeous too. I hope things are improving for you both.

kathyinozarks said...

Both of these meals look so delicious and so much better than the restaurant for Sally's bday. that shrimp looked really good.
Happy T and rest of the week
Kathy

My name is Erika. said...

Wow-so much yummy looking food in this post. It's making me hungry. I think you did pick 2 good restaurants. And it was good to see Sally before her fall.I like how you and Sally celebrate your birthdays by going out to eat. It's a fun tradition. Have a great T day my friend. hugs-Erika

Cloudia said...

I am wishing you a very, very happy birthday and many happier ones to come!

Kate Yetter said...

Sounds like you had two wonderful birthday meals to remember. That Cafe is lovely and fancy. So glad that it exceeded your expectations, that is always exciting on one's birthday.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

nwilliams6 said...

Super yummy looking food and great looking cake. Glad you got to have these celebrations before Sally got hurt. Happy T-day sweet Elizabeth. Hoping Sally is mending well. Hugz

Amila said...

Glad to see these photos of a wonderful celebration. It is nice that restaurant too joined your birthday celebration with a piece of cake. How nice!
The gifts, cards and food, all look great too. It is great to have a friend like Sally...
Happy T day!

Iris Flavia said...

:-) You are clever choosing another, non-busy day!
Beautiful flowers.
My Mum took care my Dad´s coffin was decorated with mini-sunflowers, cause he loved those.
So sad I did not take a pic (you don´t do that, right?).
He loved these flowers. Be it a bEARTHday or a final good bye, these flowers, now with Ukraine a symbol of hope for peace are ALWAYS lovely.
Beef, please! ;-)
Sad I´m not really in for seafood, it´s so healthy...
I would want a piece of Pizza, but ohhhhh, so nice of your waiter to bring you a cake like that!
(I hope that never happens to me cause I would feel I have to eat it to be polite!!!! And that would ruin the yummy food I had! LOL).
Cute guy, too.
Beautiful entrance. And a great goal! Yes, short, I understand.
Sunny side up sounds so funny. I think the German way is different, and now I think I know what to have later :-) Yes. Thank you!

Oh, boy. I think I would´ve sunk to the ground! They all came to sing? If I ever make it to your country and it´s my birthday, I will not let anyone know ;-)
Cute, if you can stand that.

Sad Sally had such bad luck. Maybe a second fake-birthday-lunch there?

Lisca said...

I'm so glad you had two(!) lovely birthday meals. A complete opposite to Sally's. The food looks delicious too.
The cardboard bunch of flowers is amazing! They will never wilt and I'm sure you will enjoy them for a long time. What a great idea.
I'll try to remember 2nd on the 2nd, but that's the Friday I travel and Thursday night I'll be busy. But I'll try and schedule it (That doesn't always work).
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

Elephant's Child said...

Both meals look totally delicious and seem to have been delivered with care, panache and style. Which is lovely.

J said...

Hi Elizabeth, your Birthday meal looked delicious and what a lovely surprise to be given the cake too, I love Scampi but in England it's served in breadcrumbs.
A Beautiful piece of artwork from Sally and the card is gorgeous, beautiful sunflowers.
I actually like my eggs well done so they looked perfect for me.
Happy T Day dear Elizabeth.
Jan S

CJ Kennedy said...

What fun birthday celebrations. Sally's card is exquisite. A surprise birthday cake and a birthday song concert! I'd be embarrassed by everyone singing the birthday song to me, too. Happy T Day!

Christine said...

Lovely meals, the cake looks so good.

Divers and Sundry said...

Both these meals look delicious and the restaurants much more pleasant and agreeable than that last unfortunate outing. How nice! "Little did either of us realize that in just a few hours, both our lives would change for the foreseeable future." That adds drama, and I'm sure you could do without that kind of drama. The birthday singing, though, now there's a touch of celebratory fun I can get behind. I've been in restaurants where this happened, and I've enjoyed joining in.

Happy T Tuesday!

Jenn Jilks said...

Don't apologize for the length of your post! it is your blog, your record of events, and aide memoire.
I enjoyed your birthday. Thank you for sharing it all. Shrimp and pasta are my faves!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

pearshapedcrafting said...

I'm glad that these two meals were successful and that you managed two memorable occasions before you both started with your problems. Maybe when you are both much better you can go and celebrate!
We got the Birthday treatment at our table when my youngest was 40. We often see waiters sing and bringing cake - often with a lit candle on the top! Happy T Day, Chrisx
Ps message on Cat

Lowcarb team member said...

A lovely post full of good things.
I think both of these meals look delicious.

All the best Jan

Empire of the Cat said...

Trying again, I'm sure my first comment was better but then it wouldn't publish. I also have fridge problems. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

Empire of the Cat said...

Glad you enjoyed your birthday meals, looks like they serve up good stuff. Funny you should mention your fridge problems, I also have/had some fridge problems and was off looking at new fridges last week. Sorry I'm late, having commenting problems with blogger.
Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx