Monday, May 1, 2023

T Stands For Second on the 2nd

 

This is a T Tuesday post, as well as a Second on the 2nd.  If your T Tuesday post is the same as your Second on the 2nd, please share them both places.  If you are only here for T Tuesday, please disregard the next post when it goes live.  I realize last week I said I would open my gifts and share what I received today, but, at the time, I had not realized this was a Second Look T Tuesday.

This post was first published on September 30, 2013

 

Writing Home: Collected Essays and Newspaper Columns is a compilation of stories written over several years about such things as family time, "momisms," working from home, and other relatable incidences.  Funny at times, heartwarming at times, and tear-jerking at times, you will probably have trouble putting this book down. 

There are 12 chapters, with several essays in each.  Even the essay titles are funny, like (under House and Garden) "Trowel and Error" and "Zen and Remodeling."

Although I have never been a mother, and quickly explain that Bleubeard's mother is a calico who lives (or now probably lived) in a house in MO, under Child Care are gems like "Quit Picking on Barbie" and "Swamp Hair."  So you don't have to be married or a parent to appreciate LeFerle's humor.

Possibly my favorite was in the chapter called Keeping Up Appearances where I found an essay entitled "Recovering Perfectionist."  I might have to take that one to heart! 

Speaking of Bleubeard, I was brought to tears in the Creature Comforts chapter where I found such essays as "Eulogy for a Very Fine Cat" and "Booger."  Grieving can be so personal, but LeFerle makes it seem less so.

I had just reviewed the book Writing Home: Collected Essays and Newspaper Columns which is a compilation of stories written over several years about such things as family time, "momisms," working from home, and other relatable incidences.  Funny at times, heartwarming at times, and tear-jerking at times, you will probably have trouble putting this book down.

Although I don't usually include what's written on the book cover, here is what the publishers had to say about LeFerle's book.

Both a "motherhood memoir" and a handbook for living, Writing Home is a heartwarming anthology of domestic essays and lifestyle columns by award-winning journalist Cindy La Ferle. This timeless collection speaks to every suburban parent who has ever attempted to combine work, parenthood, and homekeeping. La Ferle's essays address such key issues as losing a parent, aging gracefully, reinventing family traditions, facing the empty nest, and finding deeper meaning in the small but defining moments of everyday life. Writing Home has won four awards for creative nonfiction, including one from Midwest Independent Publisher's Association and another from Writer's Digest. Think Club Publications voted Writing Home Book of the Year in 2005, praising it for its values-driven content. Midwest Book Review describes Cindy La Ferle's essays as "Little gems of wisdom from a modern working woman who has a valuable and interesting philosophy on life." The book has been featured on Sirius Radio and in other national media.

Personally, I couldn't have said it any better!  And this gives you a very good preview about what is contained in these 294 pages that features more than 90 essays.

   This is what my copy of this book looks like.

  And yes, it is signed by the author herself.


  Today's T post begins with this book some of you may have seen me review last Friday for our monthly Artful Readers Club.

In case you didn't see the review, the book is called Writing Home and was written by Cindy Leferle.  It has many (over 90) short essays on home, women working, and various other stories most of us can relate to.

Since this is T day, I was intrigued by an essay in the chapter called Kitchen Duty entitled "Just My Cuppa Tea."  I thought the essay was quite appropriate and it had me agreeing as I read each word.

LeFerle provides a bit of history lesson by explaining (as most avid tea drinkers know)

tea originated in the Orient (please ignore the kitty toys under the table),

was first imported to the British Isles (thank you Annette aka Voodoo Vixen for gifting me with everything tea related shown in this photo),

then to the US, where it was heavily taxed. LeFerle then reminds us why tea has lost favor in this coffee obsessed world.  According to LeFerle
As most of us recall from our grade-school history classes, it was heavily taxed by the Monarchy and eventually incited the boisterous Boston Tea Party of 1775.  Since then, our country (please note: LeFerle is referring to the United States) has harbored a stubborn preference for coffee (page 108).
She further contends that coffee is quick and all-American, easily being consumed in disposable cups, many of them, in my belief, more than likely styrofoam.

LeFerle admits tea is not easy to prepare.  It requires "that we sit down long enough to assemble its various accouterments (page 108)."  Take these strainers for example.  They go by several names, such as tea balls, strainers, and infusers.  One is needed any time we use tea leaves.

To further quote LeFerle
Drinking tea entails a fussy battery of saucers, spoons, bags, lemon wedges, and pots with lid, not to mention the optional milk, honey, or sugar (pp 108-9).
All that fussing for something that begins with a bit of hot water may be why most waiters don't care for tea drinkers.  Per LeFerle, waiters think
we're a high maintenance bunch and would rather not be bothered with our hot water refills (p 109).      

Show your high (or low) maintenance today and link below.  Your photos don't have to be taken on Tuesday, but they should be somehow T related.  Art, books, stories, or even a good pot of tea will be memorable when you link below and are visited by your fellow T community.



 


 

21 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Nice tea decorations, but I'll stick to coffee, although I come from England! Glad you enjoyed that book! Happy T day, Valerie

Mae Travels said...

My post today is about coffee — I hope I didn’t make a mistake and mix up things with the other blog party! The history of tea is incredibly involved with highly political events, including a few wars, as you hint with the reference to the Boston Tea Party! So much to learn!

best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Iris Flavia said...

To tea! I used the street find pot-cup-tea combi for Ingo´s pressie yesterday!
Yours is really very beautiful. So lovely in detail, very British!

Elephant's Child said...

It sounds like an excellent book - and how I would love to share a cuppa with you.

kathyinozarks said...

I enjoyed this post, about your signed book, and about tea-loved seeing your different tea cups and tea pot
Happy T and May first day of May too

My name is Erika. said...

I like how you set up your table to match parts to the book. They are fun too. The British one has some fun tea containers. I have a couple of similar ones too. And what a cute teapot with the tea set on the top. This was a fun second look, perfect for T day too. I hope you had a great start to May. hugs-Erika

Carola Bartz said...

Elizabeth, what a great book review! I put this book on my "to read" list, it sounds there is something for everyone. You set up your table so beautifully with lovely tea cups (I actually had a few of those Chinese ones when I lived in Taiwan) and other items related to tea. I still prefer coffee though. Happy T Day to you and Bleubeard.

Darla said...

We both hit upon the word HOME this time around. I enjoyed the book review, it sounds like a book I would enjoy. Your table settings are great.

Rita said...

Lovely tea sets!
I have some of the exact same ta strainers.
[I had a chihuahua named Booger growing up...one of those opposite names like calling a person over 6ft Shorty. Her name meant being a little snot...but she was a sweetheart and even loved the mailman and gave him kisses. Still miss her.]

nwilliams6 said...

Great tea accessories and tea, Elizabeth. The book sounds wonderful too. What a lovely T-day post. I love both coffee and tea - can't decide which one I like the most. Happy T-day and hugz

Rostrose said...

Dear Elizabeth,
I absolutely love this teapot with the set tea table on top!
I didn't really understand the thing about the second on the 2nd: Does that mean I should link an old posting? Any one or one that contains any special themes?
For the time being I'll just link my planned T-posting (with coffee cups 😉) - and maybe something will come later for your other linkup(?)
🌸❤️🌸
Have a great May!
Hugs & happy T-day, Traude 😘
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/04/monets-garten-ein-blumiger-tag-in-wien.html

J said...

Elizabeth I love all your Teapots, tea cups and other accoutrements that go towards making the perfect cup of tea. Steve once explained to a waiter in The Cheesecake Factory how to make tea as they came out with luke warm water, teabag on a saucer, awful as tea doesn't mash unless the water is boiling.
The best cup of tea we've had in San Francisco was at Peets Coffee House, they have a separate boiler for water to make tea.
I still make tea in a Tea Pot!
Happy T Day
Jan ☓

CJ Kennedy said...

Your tea things are just so precious especially the sweet tea party tea pot. The little bird is adorable. Pretty cups and themed cups. So many lovely things about tea even if tea in the US has gotten quicker with tea bags. Happy T Day

Kate Yetter said...

Love seeing all the different tea vignettes. Such pretty tea cups!
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Divers and Sundry said...

Such a pretty tea set! I think how long it takes to make tea or coffee depends on how you're making it. Pour over coffee takes me longer than tea bag tea ;)

Happy T Tuesday

kathyinozarks said...

that was strange Jan Spencers link took me back to my blog

Jeanie said...

And here I am again! A post worth reposting. Twice!

Empire of the Cat said...

What a fun spread you have there, with the post box and the phone box, and the cute teapot. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love your pretty tables and that beautiful tea pot.....but sorry, no tea for me - it took a while to find out, but tea makes me really poorly. I just have to stick to coffee! Happy T Day, Chrisx

Caty said...

Happy T-day Bleubeard & Elizabeth !
That book must be very interesting indeed. I was delighted to learn a little about the history of tea.
I really like all your tea sets, as well as the cups, and those pretty tea strainers. The white teapot with another teapot on top of a cup is absolutely gorgeous. The little red tea boxes are very very beautiful. Yes, tea must be savoured quietly.
Hope you have a nice Wednesday
Big hugs, Caty

Lisca said...

What a lovely book review. And i love all the different table settings to do with tea. I am amazed at the book stand. It keeps the pages open. I've never seen anything like it.
Belated happy T-Day,
Lisca