Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Second on the 2nd: T Stands For Writing Home

 

If this post looks familiar, you are seeing double on purpose.  This is a T Tuesday post, as well as a Second on the 2nd.  If your T Tuesday post is the same as your Second on the 2nd, please share them both places.  If you are only here for T Tuesday, please disregard this post.

This post was first published on September 30, 2013


I had just reviewed the book Writing Home: Collected Essays and Newspaper Columns which is a compilation of stories written over several years about such things as family time, "momisms," working from home, and other relatable incidences.  Funny at times, heartwarming at times, and tear-jerking at times, you will probably have trouble putting this book down.

Although I don't usually include what's written on the book cover, here is what the publishers had to say about LeFerle's book.

Both a "motherhood memoir" and a handbook for living, Writing Home is a heartwarming anthology of domestic essays and lifestyle columns by award-winning journalist Cindy La Ferle. This timeless collection speaks to every suburban parent who has ever attempted to combine work, parenthood, and homekeeping. La Ferle's essays address such key issues as losing a parent, aging gracefully, reinventing family traditions, facing the empty nest, and finding deeper meaning in the small but defining moments of everyday life. Writing Home has won four awards for creative nonfiction, including one from Midwest Independent Publisher's Association and another from Writer's Digest. Think Club Publications voted Writing Home Book of the Year in 2005, praising it for its values-driven content. Midwest Book Review describes Cindy La Ferle's essays as "Little gems of wisdom from a modern working woman who has a valuable and interesting philosophy on life." The book has been featured on Sirius Radio and in other national media.

Personally, I couldn't have said it any better!  And this gives you a very good preview about what is contained in these 294 pages that features more than 90 essays.

  This is what my copy of this book looks like.

  And yes, it is signed by the author herself.

There are 12 chapters, with several essays in each.  Even the essay titles are funny, like (under House and Garden) "Trowel and Error" and "Zen and Remodeling."

Although I have never been a mother, and quickly explain that Bleubeard's mother is a calico who lives (or now probably lived) in a house in MO, under Child Care are gems like "Quit Picking on Barbie" and "Swamp Hair."  So you don't have to be married or a parent to appreciate LeFerle's humor.

Possibly my favorite was in the chapter called Keeping Up Appearances where I found an essay entitled "Recovering Perfectionist."  I might have to take that one to heart! 

Speaking of Bleubeard, I was brought to tears in the Creature Comforts chapter where I found such essays as "Eulogy for a Very Fine Cat" and "Booger."  Grieving can be so personal, but LeFerle makes it seem less so.

  I've now moved to my dining room table where I continue to review this book.

Since this is T day, I was intrigued by an essay in the chapter called Kitchen Duty entitled "Just My Cuppa Tea."  I thought the essay was quite appropriate and it had me agreeing as I read each word.


  LeFerle provides a bit of history lesson by explaining (as most avid tea drinkers know) 


  tea originated in the Orient (please ignore the kitty toys under the table),


  was first imported to the British Isles,

  then to the US, where it was heavily taxed. LeFerle then reminds us why tea has lost favor in this coffee obsessed world.  According to LeFerle:

As most of us recall from our grade-school history classes, it was heavily taxed by the Monarchy and eventually incited the boisterous Boston Tea Party of 1775.  Since then, our country (please note: LeFerle is referring to the United States) has harbored a stubborn preference for coffee (page 108).

She further contends that coffee is quick and all-American, easily being consumed in disposable cups, many of them, in my belief, more than likely styrofoam.

LeFerle admits tea is not easy to prepare.  It requires "that we sit down long enough to assemble its various accouterments (page 108)."  Take these strainers for example.  They go by several names, such as tea balls, strainers, and infusers.  One is needed any time we use tea leaves. 

  To further quote LeFerle:

Drinking tea entails a fussy battery of saucers, spoons, bags, lemon wedges, and pots with lid, not to mention the optional milk, honey, or sugar (pp 108-9).

All that fussing for something that begins with a bit of hot water may be why most waiters don't care for tea drinkers.  Per LeFerle, waiters think:

we're a high maintenance bunch and would rather not be bothered with our hot water refills (p 109).     

Now it's time to share your Second on the 2nd. The rules are quite simple and everyone is welcome to join the fun look back.  All you have to do is bring back a post that you are especially proud of, or perhaps one you shared before anyone knew your blog existed.  Any post, any genre, any artistic endeavor is acceptable, as long as it's been published sometime in the past.  Then link below (direct links only, please) and Bleubeard and I, along with other Second on the 2nd friends, will be by to visit.  Remember, this link is ONLY for Second on the 2nd.  If your T Tuesday post is the same, please share both places.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

 

 

9 thoughtful remarks:

Christine said...

The book sounds good

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Obviously a book you really enjoyed and well worth a second look. I have books that I have read two or three times, the odd one more than that, and each time I find something new and derive pleasure all over again.

Jeanie said...

Tea is my beverage of choice so I'm all for this! I don't remember this post -- perhaps I hadn't discovered you -- from years before so I'm very glad you reposted it. The book definitely sounds like something I would like and appreciate!

Tom said...

...the tea industry would collapse if more people were like me.

Empire of the Cat said...

Thanks for sharing this post, I didn't see it the first time around. I also haven't seen this book before too. I do have quite a few books about tea though, as I am slightly obsessed with it. Elle/EOTC xx

Sandra Cox said...

What a wonderful review. So glad you enjoyed this book.
I love the lavender polka dots tea pot.Hugs

Christine said...

I corrected the video link on my 'embossed' post hope it works now thanks

Amila said...

This is an exciting book review. I enjoyed reading the post while looking at different teacups and accessories. Beautiful arrangements for each photo.
I have books that I read a few times and still love to read. It is good to read more about making tea....
Have a nice day & happy belated T day!

Lowcarb team member said...

I always have time for a cup of tea :)
This book sounds excellent, and I enjoyed seeing your photographs, you set them up so well.

All the best Jan