Monday, March 6, 2023

Angel

 

I want to explain why I missed visiting nearly every person on Friday and Saturday.  I have two friends who thought I should be called because they were keeping watch over our dear friend who I met way back in undergrad school.  She had been moved to hospice care, something I knew nearly nothing about.

I immediately packed a couple outfits and was ready to leave as soon as I linked at Annie's and explained why I would be unavailable.   However, Annie didn't post at the usual time, so once I got to my destination (remember, I have no cell phone), I called Sally and asked her to link me, since all the information was already on my blog.  I was glad to see when I returned she had, but I forgot to ask Erika or Valerie to link me to AJJ.

When I got there, we hugged and she seemed very surprised and happy to see me.  All day and evening, when she wasn't resting or sleeping, we laughed, we cried, we reminisced.  The hospice aid came in the late afternoon to change her IV bag and wash her hair. 

  Saturday morning when she woke, she had color in her face and almost seemed like her old self.  By noon, it was like a switch had been turned off.  She no longer seemed respondent or responsive and either slept or was in a coma.  I'm not sure which because this is something very foreign to me.  One of her friends who stayed with her most days (her parents were dead and she had never married) called the hospice team.  She was no longer coherent and either mumbled or whimpered like she was in pain.  

  I simply could not take any more.  The hospice nurse (or aid?) was there and so were her two other friends.  I reached down to kiss her on the forehead and she was burning up.  I thanked my friends for calling me and they thanked me for coming.   I asked them to call after I got home with any updates.  To be honest, I expected a message on my answering machine when I got home.  However, when I called after I got home shortly before 6 a.m. Sunday morning (was that actually just yesterday?), her condition hadn't changed, although the hospice nurse was administering more morphine, so she is no longer whimpering and crying out. 

As much as I love Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin, the words just don't quite fit.  However, Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton seems to fit how I feel about my friend who I am about to lose:

Would you know my name if I saw you in heaven?
Would it be the same if I saw you in heaven?
I must be strong and carry on
‘Cause I know I don't belong
Here in heaven

Would you hold my hand if I saw you in heaven?
Would you help me stand if I saw you in heaven?
I'll find my way through night and day
‘Cause I know I just can't stay
Here in heaven


Time can bring you down, time can bend your knees
Time can break your heart, have you begging please
Begging please

Beyond the door, there's peace, I'm sure
And I know there'll be no more
Tears in heaven



18 thoughtful remarks:

Rita said...

So glad they got in touch with you and that you had that wonderful time together!! Priceless minutes. Precious moments. :)

kathyinozarks said...

These times are always so difficult- good you were able to be together for awhile-perfect song-hugs

My name is Erika. said...

Hospice and end of life are very difficult. It's still fresh in my mind with my Mom and her stroke last fall. It is hard to take, but keep thinking of the good conversation you had and how that must have meant the world to her. It does sound like your friend is getting some nice care though. I think your angel pages are a lovely way to remember your friend. And that song is always a sad one for me, but it does speak to the time you've been through. Have a lovely Monday. hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

Your friend was happy to see you so cherish the memory and time spent with her. These are gifts you gave to each other. Your angel page is a lovely tribute to your friend.

Valerie-Jael said...

iT'S not easy to sit with friends who are leaving this world, but I'm glad you managed some good time with her. Lovely art today, and the song is very fitting. Hugs, Valerie

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

So good that you were able to be with your friend during this difficult time.
So wonderful that she is surrounded by such good friends.
Take Care

Christine said...

Nice work!

Darla said...

Oh Elizabeth, this is heart breaking. Your works tell us that. I wish I could give you a big hum. It is hard to let go of someone who has been part of your life. Your Angel tribute is beautiflul and you express your feeling so well in art.

Cloudia said...

God bless you E. ❤️🙏🏽

Mae Travels said...

Your friend’s moments of enjoyment at seeing you are really a blessing. I’m happy for you that you were present at just the right time, and had one more visit with her. And I wish you peace as you process all this.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Lowcarb team member said...

I am pleased that you were able to visit and spend time with your friend.
Your angel page is a lovely tribute.

Sending my thoughts and good wishes at this sad time.

All the best Jan

Jenn Jilks said...

What a difficult time you had. I am so sorry, but you are a great human being.

Iris Flavia said...

This is very hard. But we can be glad such places exist. With our Dad it was terrible, that was 2002. With our Mum, 2011, we all even could laugh at times. Care gets better and better and people suffer less. It is good to be able to say good bye with a tear and a laugh...
Beautiful song indeed.

Helen said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, but glad you got to spend some time with her reminiscing before she died. It sounds like she was well cared for in her final days.

craftytrog said...

So glad you got to see your dear friend Elizabeth.
Sending big hugs x

Jeanie said...

I'm so sorry about your friend, Elizabeth. Sorry/grateful. Sorry her life is ending so soon. Grateful that you were able to visit and to have a lovely time together, which had to be a delightful event for her and wonderful for you as well. And grateful that she is under Hospice care, which is a wonderful organization and will help make her transition less painful and easier for her.

Sending love and wishes for your peace and heart-healing.

kwarkito said...

And at the end the love you gave was the most helpful and essential gift for your friend

Kate Yetter said...

At the end, level of consciousness can change so quickly. How wonderful that you were able to have a final memory of you both laughing and reminiscing together. I am so sorry for your loss! Take time to grieve.
This song is beautiful. I listened to it many times after the loss of my daughter.
Kate