Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Stirred, not shaken

 

My foodie friend Sally gave me a plethora of old calendars dating from 2004 to 2021.

I didn't pay attention to where this image came from when I removed it from one of the many calendars I received.  All I remember is how much I LOVED the image and what potential I saw in it as part of a collage.  Last night I finally took it out of the box in which I had carefully saved it.  I knew I wanted to use it for Erika's theme at Art Journal Journey.  As you may know by now, she asks that we use the color red as the predominant color in our art.

It was at that time, I created Stirred, not shaken.  I have a few detail shots to share.




To the original calendar page, I added a glass of strawberries layered with tapioca and more strawberries, this time with seeds and granola bits added.  I then fussy cut a red enamel ware spoon and placed it on the page.  To cover the hole in the calendar, I added the computer generated and colored sentiment, a play on words.  I believe this is my favorite entry this month. 
 
Bleubeard and I are quite pleased you joined us for our latest take on the color Red chosen by our host Erika at Art Journal Journey.
 
Finally, whether you agree with his politics or not, please take a moment for former and longest living president, Jimmy Carter, who actually saved Ottawa from being blown from the face of this earth.

Carter, at the age of 28 was the first and only president to date to graduate from the Naval Academy.  He worked with nuclear submarines and nuclear materials.  In 1952, long before Chernobyl or Three Mile Island, Ottawa built a nuclear reactor.  Due to human and mechanical error, the reactor exploded.  The Canadian government contacted the U.S. for help with shutting down the reactor.  In order to disassemble it without taking human life in the process, it took a young naval officer by the name of Jimmy Carter to determine how to make it happen.  The good news is, he not only figured out how to do it, he did it with no loss of life.  He had a mock up built and individuals practiced until they knew their part by heart because it was determined that no one could be exposed to the radiation for more than 90 seconds.  Carter led the way, by going first.  Just a tidbit you may want to think about now that former president Jimmy Carter is on hospice care.  


18 thoughtful remarks:

Iris Flavia said...

So I am not the only calendar-keeper ;-)

Great work, big WOW and thank you, too, for the lesson in history!
That is what I mean. If I was a teacher I would end lessons with such interesting, little known tidbits!!!
Thank you, I had no idea and will tell Ingo. And maybe my Big Niece.
Was history boring when I was at school and I learn so much so quickly in blogger land!

Nancy Chan said...

You did a great job on the old calendar. Thanks for the info on young Jimmy Carter. I read in the news that he is now in hospice care.

kathyinozarks said...

I love your page for Erika's red theme for AJJ
Jimmy Carter has done so much charity work since he left the Presidency, I always admired him and his wife for that. He must be in his 90's by now-I will say a pray for him

My name is Erika. said...

Jimmy Carter did so many good things for society. He is a great example of a selfless (in many ways) person. Perhaps that's why he has lived so long. I hope his last few days are good back to him. And that is a great red rock photo. And your added photos work great on it. Now that is an unusual take, but that's what makes it so interesting to look at. Thanks so much for sharing this piece. It is very appreciated, as I have said before. I hope you're having a nice week. hugs-Erika

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful red page, love that spoon, and Jimmy Carter was a great man. Hugs, Valerie

CJ Kennedy said...

Lovely page. I really love that spoon. Too bad more of our civil servants and statesmen couldn't be more like Carter.

jinxxxygirl said...

Jimmy Carter is the first President i remember from my childhood. I did not know that tidbit about him in the Navy.. What a clever idea on your AJJ entry! it turned out wonderful!! Hugs! deb

DVArtist said...

OMGosh. I love this. I would also love to have a whole set of dinnerware like the spoon. That is just too cool. Have a great day today.

Rita said...

So otherworldly! Looks like it's on another planet!
I just heard that about Carter. It will be so sad to see him go.

Barbara said...

Very interesting image!

Christine said...

So interesting about Jimmy Carter.

Mia said...

This is a perfect idea, Elizabeth. I love that you added the glass or strawberries and the spoon on the calendar photo. Hugs, my friend.

Sandra Cox said...

Ooh, another fun one;)

Cloudia said...

Carter was a good man. Is a good man. <3

Nancy said...

Calendar images- too beautiful to go into a landfill. I LOVE the spoon- it's the perfect accent with your chia pudding and landscape. Jimmy Carter- a man of many gifts.

Neet said...

I can see why this became a favourite calendar page of yours. What a fabulous scene it is. I love all the different swirls of colour and the layers. Great!
Then of course you change it all up and remind me of one of my favourite actors, Sean Connery. No other Bond character could says 'shaken not stirred, like he could. Ok not quite what you wrote but similar.
Great picture.
Hugs, Neet xxx

Jeanie said...

Jimmy Carter is my favorite president but I had no idea of this story. How wonderful.

And three cheers to Sally!

Divers and Sundry said...

Carter is a national treasure, a fine example of Christianity in practice. I admire him and will be sad to see him go.