Wednesday, February 1, 2023

RED

 

Today we welcome a new host at Art Journal Journey.  This month our new host is Erika, who some of you know as BioArtGal.  She wants us to use the color red in our art this month.

I've become interested in grids, so I thought this would be a good time to make one that was red. 

There are "warm" reds that lean toward pink,

and "cool" reds that lean toward orange.  ROY G BIV (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet) are considered hues.  These reds are all part of the red hue.

Additionally, there are tints that are created when white is added to a hue, tones are created when gray is added to the hue, and shades are created when black is added to any hue.  Saturation involves the strength of the color, while value is the lightness or darkness of a color.  Sorry if this is more than you wanted to know about color theory.

I started by creating a background by mixing a Staz-on reinker with 91% isopropyl alcohol, then spreading it on the page using a makeup sponge.  I went through several magazines, catalogs, and journals, as well as junk mail to find as many red images possible.  Creating the grid turned into a nightmare when, after I had everything in place, but not yet glued, I accidentally brushed the page with my sweatshirt sleeve and everything flew all over the table.  Instead of starting over, I simply glued one piece at a time, fitting each piece as I picked it up from the table.  Then I added the word Red using a gel pen.
 
Erika, Chris, Valerie, Bleubeard, and I are delighted you joined us and hope to see you this month at Art Journal Journey with your own take on the color Red.
 
We welcome art journal pages that meet the theme requirements, altered book pages, canvases, loose, or stand alone pages including fabric and digital art.  We cannot leave comments on Facebook or Instagram entries.  We do not allow cards, tags, index cards, ATCs, or ATCoins, unless they are part of a journal page, and as much as we don't want to, will be forced to delete your entry.  Please remember if your blog is not in English, you must either provide a translation tool or translate it for us.  Hope to see you soon at Art Journal Journey.  
 
I am getting a great deal of "Failed to Publish" notices.  If I know the blogger's e-mail address, I let them know that way.  Otherwise, I try to leave a message on the host's blog if I'm in a blog hop.

 

23 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

What a wonderful (and different) use of this vibrant colour.

Helen said...

Great grid of red images!

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your grid, Elizabeth, a nice interpretation of the theme. Hugs, Valerie

pearshapedcrafting said...

Thee are some great shades of red here and this is fabulous inspiration for Erika's AJJ theme. I've been looking through magazines too! Hugs, Chrisx

kathyinozarks said...

I love your journal page for Erika's theme. Happy February

Iris Flavia said...

Great page, it would be perfect for our green chamber beside the red kitchen!!

Mae Travels said...

Great Valentine color! Perfect for February.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

Your red art grid is amazing. I love how you used lots of "reds" and even the explanation of shades, hues and tones. I actually thought about writing that info in my post, but I'm glad I didn't and that you did as it works so much better with your piece. And I forget to add the "rules", but after reading your post I went back and added them in at the bottom of my post. Thanks for the reminder. This is a great start to the new month, and I hope you make some more grids. Hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

Quite an array of red. My favorite is the W or M you see however you turn your head. I hope you have a red letter day!

Jeanie said...

This is such a fun way to kick off the new month -- all the shades of red! A very clever idea, Elizabeth and it works very well.

Also, thanks so much for your recent visits and comments. I' know you've had internet issues of late so the catch-up is extra appreciated!

DVArtist said...

I knew you would come up with something wonderful for this "RED" challenge. I love all the different shades. Have a lovely day today.

Sharon Madson said...

This is definitely red! I like the different shades you used and the photos you chose, especially the waterwheel, and firetruck. I wish I had a dollar for every time I have brushed things off my work area and had to start all over again! I am sorry you are having problems commenting. That must be why I didn't see a comment from you last week for TSFT. Then, I missed this week, sorry. Maybe, I will play later and create a page for the AJJ challenge.

Sharon Madson said...

Haha. I meant train engine. :)

Divers and Sundry said...

This theme will give lots of room for variety. Nice!

Barbara said...

Perfect for dreary February and for Valentines Day!

Sandra Cox said...

Aren't color themes fun? Love your piece.

Christine said...

I like this red theme.

Neet said...

A lovely lesson on colour theory here Elizabeth. I think that is a great idea to use all those pieces of 'red' to illustrate the theme chosen by Erika for this month. I can just imagine that would have been my luck too, to swipe my sleeve across a neatly laid out page and upset everything.
I think you have covered all shades of red here with your page. Well done (bet Bleubeard had a hand in this though).
Hugs, Neet xx

craftytrog said...

You're so clever Elizabeth! I love this grid of red collage, it's fabulous.
Hugs,
Alison

Elkes Lebensglück said...

this is an imaginative journal page about red!!!! wonderfully thought out, hug Elke

Cindy McMath said...

Lovely grid!

Jenn Jilks said...

I quite like your reds. It is a great colour.

Sharon Fritchman said...

Hi Elizabeth, this is amazing! I love your grid collage with all of the different images with shades of red. I especially like the red barn/house! And thanks so much for your visit to my blog. I am so sorry that you have been having problems commenting. That's happened to me in the past and is very, very frustrating. Thanks once again, Sharon