Sunday, October 23, 2022

Monday Murals: Kansas Food Bank

 

It's time once again to join Sami at Sami's Colourful World and her Monday Murals.  Even though it's still Sunday in my world, please be aware that Sami's mural link goes live at 11:01 a.m. my time today.    

This is the Kansas Food Bank run by Cargill.  Granted the Kansas Food Bank is a badly needed source of food to many who live in Wichita, Kansas,  However, the "Cargill Cares Complex" is a bit of a misnomer and possibly an oxymoron.
 
Before my dear friend Mae Sander jumps in with her version of Cargill (I am assuming she has one), let me just say they could be one of, if not the worst privately owned companies in the world.  They are responsible for child abduction and forced labor (Nestle cocoa beans), deforestation (many places globally), e coli (everywhere from the states to Australia), and the spread of Covid in their meat processing plants (in several U.S. states).  All the company really cares about is the bottom line, the mighty dollar.

I lightened this in Photoshop, but I couldn't get the actual color exactly correct.

The abutment on the building is the reason for the shadow.

This is the color that came straight off my camera.  You can see the mural deals with all kinds and types of food.  This mural is located at 825 East Douglas in Wichita, Kansas (USA).

Here is a better photo I found on the internet:

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5cdd71e9b7c92c85e837e8d2/1563886615796-R9TGVH7I5DQVE1WKYDFR/IMG_4694-1-1024x683.jpg  It's obvious I visited at the wrong time of day.  Note in the image I found on the internet, the letters had not been cleaned nor had the building.  Also, in the above photo, there is an Avenue Art Days tag, which is no longer present.  I assure you, I always look for the name of the artist and signs that it was or was not a sponsored mural.

If you enjoy murals from around the world, please don't forget to visit Monday Murals at Sami's Colourful World.  Thanks for stopping by this weekend.  Bleubeard and I are delighted you could join us this week.
 
 

23 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

The mural is colourful and delightful. A big sigh at the company practices though. Practices that are all too common.

Iris Flavia said...

We had the same in food processing plants here.
Because they took "cheap" people from poor neighbor-countries, put in way too small "huts" and didn´t even explain to them that there is COVID, what it is and how to care - the latter impossible in the tiny, cramped places.
I am sorry for those people but I was glad those plants had a great loss, money wise!

Great food-mural - what irony...

Christine said...

Nice mural awful company

My name is Erika. said...

I like this mosaic style mural. The colors are great, and it feels modern yet slightly vintage too. You found a good one this week. Happy Sunday! hugs-Erika

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Fantastic colors in those murals. I love it.

Jenn Jilks said...

What a shame that big business does this.
We donate monthly to our local food bank. They give cooking lessons, menu planning, and weekly hot meals.

CJ Kennedy said...

Fun mural and I like the minimalist design and colors. Too bad a lot of corporations focus on the bottom line instead of their employees and customers

Divers and Sundry said...

So I'm guessing the mural is a case of putting lipstick on a pig...

Mae Travels said...

In fact, you have done a fantastic job of researching Cargill — I completely agree with you and I learned several things from your post. I’m not really a negative person! As you imply, industrial food corporations are problematic on many levels, even if they try to present themselves in a favorable light.

In any case, the mural is quite nice.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Tom said...

...I often show up at the wrong time too, but showing up is what's important.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

It really is a beautiful mural, and, after what you wrote of their terrible practices, their logo, "Cargill Cares" is beyond ironic. Thanks for the information. On another note, I hope you are having a nice Sunday.

Caty said...

Beautiful mural, love the so bright colours.
We also have some food banks here in Spain, and regulary we can donate foo, specially milk for children who need it. I don ´t know if all the food goes rightly to the people who need it most, I hope it so.
I wish you a great new week, and send big hugs
Caty

Bertiebo said...

The mural is fun and cheerful. What you tell us about the company... there's nothing cheerful or fun about that

David M. Gascoigne, said...

There is something innately sad that in a society where a few ultra billionaires control most of the country's wealth, and some not even paying taxes, that people have to go to a food bank for their daily survival.

Sami said...

Very sad about the company and its policies. The mural is bright and beautiful.
Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Elizabeth.

Amila said...

This mural is colourful and creative. It is nice to hear about this food bank. You have captured the mural nicely and thanks for sharing the information related to it.
Sad to hear about this company's background and how they focus on the bottom line only.Specially, things such as forced labour....

Jackie McGuinness said...

I echo what David said. The rich just get richer...

Jeanie said...

That's a fun one. Nice photos, too. But yes, ditto with the other comments abut the company.

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous murals! The colours and images look amazing, loving the door too 😊. Happy wishes! Hugs Jo x

dee Nambiar said...

The mural is cool, tho'

There's so much to look at. It's fun to try and figure out the figures on it. :D
I hope you are doing well, Elizabeth. Have a lovely week. :)

Lowcarb team member said...

I like the mural.

All the best Jan

Linda said...

Interesting. It’s a huge company, humongous. I guess they need the mural for public relations.

Rita said...

Lovely and so colorful! :)