Sunday, August 14, 2022

Clean up

 

Yesterday was our neighborhood clean-up.  The city of Wichita gave us four packer trucks.  We were divided into four groups.  For once I forgot my camera, but I was lucky to be on the team that went by my own house.  After we picked up my trash, I ran inside and grabbed my camera to get a few shots which I will share on Friday.  We worked from7:30 until 2:00.  The man in neon green on the right side of the photo was the packer driver.  He was super sweet and very helpful.  I have been doing this for years and many packer drivers don't believe in helping, just driving and crushing the trash.

I overdid myself and got sick from the heat.  I wish I had the love for heat that CJ and Iris have, but it is definitely not for me.  Instead of going to lunch at the church after the clean-up, I went home and got sick.  Hugging the porcelain was how I spent the rest of my Saturday.  Sorry, no photos of that.
 

15 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

hope you feel better soon but well done on the clean up. Helen xx

Iris Flavia said...

I think now I finally understand!!!
We call that Sperrmüll - old furniture and stuff you want to get rid off, right?

Here you can call the city and pay or drive to their dump and pay (or, if still neat, put it in boxes, add a sign "for free" - not allowed but tolerated).

The collection days we have:
Cigarette butts, real trash, old hamburger boxes, coffee-to-go cups, masks etc.
Thrown into the street by arrogant people who likely sit right by, beer in hand and laugh at those who pick up. I refuse to join that circus.

Hope you feel better already?

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you so much for helping. I hope you are feeling MUCH better today. And thank you for your very kind comment on my latest post.

Valerie-Jael said...

I don't like the heat either, sorry you got so ill. This extreme heat is really not good! Hope you feel better soon! Hugs, Valerie

pearshapedcrafting said...

I hope you are feeling better now Elizabeth! I love it that you went out in the heat anyway and the fact that you were helping with your cleanup for such a long time is definitely worthy of praise! Well done, and sorry that your only reward was to be sick. Hugs, Chrisx

My name is Erika. said...

I love this activity. Not the actual work with it, but the fact that the city let you use packers and let this clean up happen. What a good thing overall. And nice your neighborhood came together to do it. Hope you didn't work too hard. hugs-Erika

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

That's a great program that your city and neighborhood does. I wish ours did something like that. I hope you feel better.

jinxxxygirl said...

OOoh Elizabeth i'm so sorry you got sick... It amazes me how organizations set the timing of these things when its so hot! Spring and Fall are wonderful times to do these things but i probably think this way because I'am not a Summer gal! In Arkasas i would love to help with the clean up around the Lake.. But they set it for late Spring early Summer when the snakes and such are alive and well.. I'm thinking more like end of Feb/Mar... when they might still be asleep.. Anyway for me timing is crucial.. I'm sure all your hard work was appreciated by many. Hugs! deb

Linda Manning Findley said...

"E" so sorry you got sick ... but at least you did some of it done ... I know the older I get the less heat I can handle ... take care of yourself

Divers and Sundry said...

We don't have anything like that here. It sounds like such a wonderful community-building idea.

I'm sorry you suffer so in the heat. I'm fortunate in being one of the heat lovers, but I'll be singing a song of woe when the bitter cold of winter comes.

kathyinozarks said...

I don't do well in hot sun and either, hope your are feeling better-hugs

craftytrog said...

You're a star to go out and clean up in the heat Elizabeth. Hope you're feeling better now.

Jeanie said...

That sounds like tough work on a very hot day but well done, Elizabeth. And very nice that your neighborhood comes together for such a big, and very useful, project.

Lisca said...

Oh I'm sorry you got sick after clean-up day (heat stroke?) I do hope you are feeling better now. But it's a fabulous initiative of the council to have a clean-up day. I remember you writing about this before. It is an annual thing I believe. I think it's a great idea.
Also sorry that it is to be the last Avenue Art Day. I wonder why? I suppose the decision is financial, it usually is. You probably get a lot of rubbish graffiti everywhere.
Lovely napkins! I like them both (although they are totally different). I recognize the Fiesta napkin. I have one of those.
As for my ATCs, I didn't photograph them so I will wait until you show them.
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

Linda said...

Oh dear, watch out for that heat! I don’t tolerate it either.