Sunday, July 3, 2022

Monday Murals: Air

 

It's Sunday, which means it's time once again to join Sami at Sami's Colourful World and her Monday Murals.  Even though it's still Sunday in my world, please be aware that Sami's mural link goes live at 11:01 a.m. my time today.  I just hope Bleubeard and I are able to link this week.

Here in the States we are celebrating our Independence Day weekend.  Normally I would try to find a patriotic mural.  This year I don't feel too patriotic because I believe I have been robbed of my independence due to several (not very) Supreme Court rulings that have happened in the past week.

Instead, I'm sharing a mural that exemplifies one of those incredibly perverse rulings.  The name of this mural is Air.
 
As much as I would like to talk about a woman's right to choose, that's a subject for another day.  Today, I am talking about the latest decision that affects the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) and their ability to reduce carbon emissions from power plants.  This puts air quality at risk, and consequentially will also affect water quality.  According to the Ecological Society of America (ESA):
The Supreme Court decision severely hinders the efforts of the United States to reduce emissions. This majority ruling will result in damaging our ecosystems, reducing biodiversity, and harming people and their livelihoods across the nation and throughout the globe by eliminating the regulations needed to effectively reduce harmful emissions.
 This is not just a U.S. problem, but a global problem.

Those of you who only visit for Monday Murals are probably not aware that I was born on Earth Day and I have a deep love for the earth, air, water, ecology, and the environment.  According to Catherine Kling faculty director at Cornell Atkinson Center for Sustainability:
“Weakening the power of the EPA to regulate and enforce dangerous air pollutants that were not mentioned explicitly in the Clean Air Act raises concerns for other pollutants. For example, we now understand that PFAS pollution of water is very dangerous, yet this contaminant was unknown when the Clean Water Act was passed 50 years ago. As our scientific understanding of the effect of water and air pollution advances, the ruling suggests that unless legislation can promptly be passed in each instance, unnecessary and avoidable human health and ecological damages will occur.”
Air was painted by Josh Tripoli, whose work I have shown in the past.  This mural was painted in 2014 on the side of a building at 2300 East Douglas in Wichita, Kansas (USA).  This mural may be more significant today than it was when it was originally painted.
 
If you enjoy murals from around the world, please don't forget to visit Monday Murals at Sami's Colourful World.  Thanks for stopping by this not very independent-feeling Independence weekend.
 
 

20 thoughtful remarks:

Christine said...

Beautiful

DVArtist said...

These are very beautiful. I feel the same way you do and I know some others too. There is no joy in the US right now. Independence is lost so no need to celebrate. I will wish you a very nice day.

Sami said...

It is a stunning mural Elizabeth. Thanks for participating in Monday Murals. Happy 4th of July to you, and I do understand your dismay and sadness at the latest Supreme court decisions, which are very disappointing and backward.

Mae Travels said...

The references to other art in that mural are wonderful. I love the Botticelli figures and the Native American motif.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Divers and Sundry said...

Oh, my! That's a stunning mural!

I'm considering observing Bastille Day instead.

Tom said...

...you found some fabulous murals and I share your feelings on this 4th!

Elephant's Child said...

That is a stunning mural. I share your concern about this latest Supreme Court decision as well. They seem to be insisting that your country goes back to times that no longer exist.

kwarkito said...

Stunning and beautiful

My name is Erika. said...

I feel the same way about July 4th this year also. I don't like suddenly being a second class citizen of a country where I was a first class citizen before. And I'm with you about the EPA decision too. But let me say this is a fascinating mural. I'm not sure what all the images mean together as one, but it is really interesting to look at. Hugs-Erika

Iris Flavia said...

Very fitting murals.
I am happy I work for a company (Alstom) that tries to help reducing emissions a lot.
Happy 4th of July to you.

Bertiebo said...

Oh Elizabeth, I agree with you so much about the Supreme Court's decisions. Trump's legacy, right? But it's a beautiful mural

Mia said...

I love this mural, Elizabeth. It is a collage in my eyes. On the left corner I see the winds exactly how they are in the famous painting of Botticelli "Venus". Hugs, my friend, and Happy 4th of July.

CJ Kennedy said...

Beautiful murals. Land of the Free is an oxymoron

pearshapedcrafting said...

Beautiful murals - it looks quite large, covering the width of three windows.
I think courts run by those who clearly see things differently from the rest of us should not be allowed to interfere with decisions made by those that know what they are talking about. We still have to abide by European Court rulings even though we have left the EU and some decisions only affect the UK. I sometimes wonder what favours technology have done for us. Trying to catch up! Hugs, Chrisxx

telko said...

your article amazing

ittelkom jakarta

RedPat said...

Beautiful and timely.

Rain said...

Beautifully colourful murals! ☺

craftytrog said...

A wonderful mural Elizabeth!

magiceye said...

This is lovely!

Happy 4th!

Test said...

thanks for sharing
UMJ Keren