Monday, July 4, 2022

T Stands For Food Wednesday


Today T Stands For Food Wednesday, which is hosted by Kathy at Hummingbird Studio at the Lake.  She promises a surprise this Wednesday, and I am a bit early  and don't want to miss the surprise.  I know right now, she's posting Food Wednesday the first Wednesday of the month.  I'm just glad it didn't land on the first like it did last month.

I'm going to start with the PBS mug I received as part of my contribution to my local station.  Ignore my hands around my camera and my laundry, which I had just brought in from the clothes line.

I tried to show that the white part of the mug is indented and devoid of the gorgeous blue glaze.  I wasn't expecting a mug, so that was a very pleasant surprise.
 
It was now time to share a recipe.  Note I am using my sunflower place mat and napkin in honor of Ukraine.  I'm using a paper plate because I am lazy and don't want to wash dishes.

When I was a child, we didn't go out to eat, except when we had out-of-town company.  I think my grandparents (who raised me from birth) and I ate in a restaurant maybe three times that I remember.

However, I remember once when I had an eye appointment my grandmother and I stopped at the lunch counter that was located in the one hotel in town.  There is nothing "special" about this salad I ordered, except the good feeling I remember having spending time with my grandmother.  The salad begins with romaine hearts.

Next I added canned pears.  I thought I was getting pear halves, but got slices instead.  I actually LIKE canned pears. Don't ask why, I think it's because of my feelings about this salad.  Fresh pears are harder to find in summer, too.

Then it was time to add a couple of ice cream scoops of cottage cheese.  I used large curd and 4% fat, but I love my rather fattening milk products.

It was time to add cheese.  I remember the restaurant served cheddar, but all I had was Monterey Jack.  Sadly, it wasn't very visually appealing because all the ingredients were white or pale.

At least the final ingredient, the maraschino cherries, had a bit of color.  Now all I need to do is pour a cup of French roast coffee and enjoy this salad I remember from my childhood.  Of course, I'll see you at Food Wednesday, too.
 
Now it's time to share your own drink inspired post this week.  It can be gifts you received, photos, a place you visited, movies, postcards, mail art, junk mail, catalogs, books, sketches, mixed media, drawings, paintings, handmade cards, tags, scrapbooking, or other art that is digital, hybrid, or traditional, a favorite mug, cup and saucer, teapot, coffee pot, or even a wine glass. Regardless, please join us by linking below.  Bleubeard and I will gladly visit, as will other T participants.  Please link only your T post and not your blog in general.  Bleubeard would like to remind you that old photos are acceptable because they may be taken any time, not just on Tuesday and not just this year.  Please remember to visit your fellow T participants.  




Anyone living in the states who wants to trade ATCs may do so, even if you are not in the napkin swap.  The rules are simple.

1. You only need to create ONE and only ONE ATC.  You may of course, make one for other T Tuesday friends, but only one is required to play the PIF game.

2. It will go to the next person who links after you who has an asterisk (*) after their name.

3.  Contact that person by leaving a comment on their blog.  Make arrangements to get their mailing address, either through their blog or their profile.

4.  Once you have their mailing address, send your ATC no later than Friday, July 22.  Sooner is better, but I realize sometimes real life gets in the way.

5. The person whose name is before yours who has an asterisk after their name should contact you.  Provide that player with your mailing information.
 
6. If you choose NOT to send an ATC, or are an International player, link as usual, but do NOT include an asterisk after your name.
 
7. The last player with an asterisk after their name will send to the first player on the list with an asterisk after their name.
 
8. Next comes the hard part.  DO NOT show your ATC on your blog on July 12.  Instead, wait until your PIF recipient has received it.
 
9. You DO NOT have to play the PIF game if you choose not to.  Don't worry.  No one will think any less of you if you don't.  However, please DO link that day, just as you would any normal T Tuesday.  International players are not linking anyway, since they are exchanging ATCs with their napkins.
 
Should you have any questions, please ASK IN COMMENTS.  I will clarify your question on YOUR blog. 
 

23 thoughtful remarks:

Elephant's Child said...

Love your homage to Ukraine.
Pears are a food I have difficulties with. I can remember eating a pear years ago and my mouth and lips blew up spectacularly. I don't know whether it was the pear or something on the skin but I have avoided them since them.
We rarely ate out either. In fact the only times I can remember were when we were away from home.

Sharon Madson said...

I love that salad! I fix cottage cheese with fruit frequently. That is a nice memory you shared, Elizabeth! Love the sunflower placemat! I have a sunflower tablecloths that doesn’t fit my table, but you have given me the idea to make a couple of placemats with it. Happy t day!

kathyinozarks said...

Good evening Elizabeth, I love your salad, and I remember a similiar salad my Grandma would make for us. we rarely ate out either growing up, my Mom made everything from scratch.
So glad you are sharing for Food Wednesdays with us too-Happy T hugs and Happy Food Wednesdays

Cloudia said...

You really do inspire me. And it makes me feel wonderful coming here!

kathyinozarks said...

ps I love your new mug Elizabeth

My name is Erika. said...

I think you and I were having the same train of thought combining T day with Food Wednesdays. I am also waiting for Kathy's surprise too. I love the story about when you had this salad. It is such a pretty salad too, and I have never seen one like it. I bet it tastes delicious. I think I need to try this one for lunch one day. Thanks for sharing this and your story too. It was great. hugs-Erika

jinxxxygirl said...

What a good memory Elizabeth! I do remember eating out often as a child... I remember my grandmas was always ready to eat out , even if she had supper cooking on the stove.. She'd stop everything and say lets go we can have that tomorrow.. lol Even as an adult we eat out waaay too often.. Neither one of us likes to cook.. That mug is such a beautiful color! as are your sunflower mats.. I hope i didn't mess anything up but i linked up twice because the first time i forgot to add the asterisk.... geesh.. Happy T day! Hugs! deb

nwilliams6 said...

My mother made a similar salad growing up and sometimes did pineapple instead of pears but she swore by hand shredded sharp cheddar. So fun to see your salad and I definitely will be trying it soon. Thanks for the share, Elizabeth. Love your cup too - PBS rules! Happy 4th and happy T-day. Hugz

Iris Flavia said...

You sure made me look for your hands and laundry ;-)
Yes, I know what you mean about food reminding you of childhood! - and guess what we have in the fridge since two weeks - the darn, mega-sweet maraschino cherries my Grandmother always put on Toast Hawaii! :-)
Oh, how I miss her, Ingo knows that and for this meal always buys them.

Carola Bartz said...

It's probably not so much the salad but the memories you have with it, and that makes it so delicious. It is wonderful when food can bring back this kind of memories, and we will always love and appreciate that kind of food. That is true comfort food!

Lisca said...

What a lovely memory. We never ate out either when I was a child and I also remember the occasions where we did.
The salad looks yummy. I love to use pears in a salad but unfortunately they don't have tinned pears here (I remember I could find them in England, but not here). Here we only have fresh pears and they are messy to peel when they are that ripe. Cottage cheese is another thing that is difficult to find. Occasionally our supermarket in town has it, and I always buy some as we both like it.
I love your mug. It will remind you of the occasion and it is also a lovely mug to look at.
Have a lovely T-Day (and also Food Wednesday. I've scheduled a separate one for tomorrow)
Hugs,
Lisca

Lisca said...

I've just had a panic. How manyth year is it the anniversary? Sorry that is bad English! How many years have you done this?

Nancy Chan said...

Happy summer. I like your sunflower mat and napkin.

CJ Kennedy said...

Your salad is perfect dish for hot Summer days. Growing up, we rarely ate out at a restaurant. Dad preferred Ma's cooking. Happy T Day

Mae Travels said...

Far fewer American families ate at restaurants when we (that is, most of the bloggers here) were children. Restaurant-going genuinely changed as the country experienced the rapid growth of fast food franchises, less-expensive and less-formal dining places, family-friendly restaurant chains, and more.

Your memories of the restaurant lunch and the nostalgic recipe are lovely. I think those less-expensive lunch counters were a treat for a lot of us. My cousin used to take me out to lunch at a drugstore or dime-store lunch counter.

I found a lot of statistics to back up what I'm saying about history!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Divers and Sundry said...

I remember salads like that :) I like pears -fresh, canned, pear preserves... any kind of pears. And I like the full fat large curd cottage cheese and have either that or yogurt almost every day.

I didn't grow up eating at restaurants, either. I remember picking up BBQ once and eating at a steak house with a voucher Daddy won somehow. Eating out seems much more common these days.

Happy T Tuesday!

Jeanie said...

Since I've been out of commission I've missed so many posts that I'll never catch up. Love your mug and especially your beautiful memories of your lunch with your gran!

pearshapedcrafting said...

I don't remember eating out much at all as a child although we did always go to an ice-cream parlour at on of the seaside towns we used to visit! I think we eat out far more than our parents our grandparents used to. I love the look of your salad and will be giving it a try! Hugs, Chrisx

Kate Yetter said...

Your salad looks interesting. I love all those ingredients but I can't say I would think to put them together.
I never went out to eat until I was older and my brother was out of the house. I think that happens a lot with the baby of the family. They get a whole different childhood than the others.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Halle said...

That is so a 70s dessert. I remember getting served that when I was with my folks at one of their friends houses. I nearly cried because I knew I had to eat at least some of it as not to be rude. I hated pears. Love cottage cheese but not with fruit.
Happy T day!

Sharon Madson said...

I came back to tell you all postage goes up Sunday!

Rain said...

Hi Elizabeth! Your salad looks great! Reminds me that I need more cottage cheese in my life! ☺

Empire of the Cat said...

Your salad looks interesting, I'm not sure about that combo of flavours though I like them all separately. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx