Wednesday, April 20, 2022

The Doggy in the Window

 

It's time to once again join Alison, aka Craftytrog, our host this month at Art Journal Journey, with a song for her Play it again, Sam theme.

Today we are looking for that doggie in the window.

Of course, we want to know if the doggie is for sale and the cost of the dog.

He's the dog in the window with the waggly tail.

Who could possibly not be moved by that adorable face?

I started this page by finding a cartoon dog on the internet.  I then copied the words to the song onto a used file folder.  I fussy cut the dog in order to determine the size of the window.  I then used a black Sharpie and a ruler on a section of vintage sheet music to design the shop and the window in which the dog was sitting. 

From information I gleaned on the internet, this was first sung in 1952 by Patti Page, a famous singer from the 1950s.  Further the song is apparently loosely based on the song "Oh, where, oh, where, has my little dog gone?"
 
Here are the words to the song:

How much is that doggie in the window?
The one with the waggly tail
How much is that doggie in the window?
I do hope that doggie's for sale

I must take a trip to California
And leave my poor sweetheart alone
If he has a dog, he won't be lonesome
And the doggie will have a good home

How much is that doggie in the window?
The one with the waggly tail
How much is that doggie in the window?
I do hope that doggie's for sale

I read in the papers there are robbers
With flashlights that shine in the dark
My love needs a doggie to protect him
And scare them away with one bark

I don't want a bunny or a kitty
I don't want a parrot that talks
I don't want a bowl of little fishies
He can't take a goldfish for a walk

How much is that doggie in the window?
The one with the waggly tail
How much is that doggie in the window?
I do hope that doggie's for sale

For Day 20 of 22, I recycled a used file folder, a cartoon character printed on the back of used copier/printer paper, and a section of vintage sheet music.  The Sharpie was not new.

Thanks so very much for joining Bleubeard and me today.  We hope to also see you at Art Journal Journey with your own Play it again, Sam journal art.  


18 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

I remember enjoying this song in my childhood. Thanks for the nice memory! Have agreat day, hugs, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

Super cute - and a song I remember well.

kathyinozarks said...

Oh Wow you just took me down memory lane Elizabeth-and I really Love your page.
My Grandpa on my father's side was part of a quartet-and allot of times when we visited him and Grandma at their home (when we were very young) he would sing this song to us. so am smiling reading your post hugs

My name is Erika. said...

That is another fun classic song. And that dog made me laugh. You made your page work for a window too, with the music in the background. Isn't it funny how some songs are such classics and we still know them today? I hope today people rescue dogs rather than buy them from a pet store window, but times change and all dogs need a good home. To live their best dog life as they say. Which mine do. I am digressing, so happy Wednesday. Have a great day. hugs-Erika

CJ Kennedy said...

You found a cute puppy. That bring back memories of singing that song in kindergarten. and now an earworm 😸

jinxxxygirl said...

I hadn't thought of that song in ages. But i do remember it especially the chorus.. Now i'll be singing it all day?

Divers and Sundry said...

When I was a child I had a 45 RPM record of that song :)

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

I remember listening to that song as lot as a child.
I loved it, and still do.
Wonderful post!

Let's Art Journal said...

Oh my, I loved this song and always sang it when I was younger! Your captured it so beautifully on your page and that dog is super cute 😀. Thanks for the happy memories! Happy wishes! Hugs Jo x

DVArtist said...

Ahh this is wonderful and brings back such good memories. Have a lovely day.

da tabbies o trout towne said...

what a cute piece today Elizabeth !! hope you and the doodz had a happy HAM filled BURD FREE easter !! :) ♥♥

Mae Travels said...

Popular music used to have such cutesey little lyrics! I wonder if there's anything like it now. Your interpretation is cute too.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Christine said...

Cute song and doggie!

Iris Flavia said...

I don´t know that song but down the street over years there was a doggy in the window!
Replaced now by a heart. It makes me sad.
Or does it? The dog always looked so lonely.

Neet said...

Oh how I used to love that song - I would sing it over and over as a child. Thanks for the memories. A great page. Love the dog.
Hugs, Neet xxx

Jeanie said...

That dog just makes me smile! He has such a cute face. I have many personal memories of that song from road trips with my parents when I was a kid and hearing it on the radio. Love it!

craftytrog said...

Thanks for a trip down memory lane, with your wonderful page and that song from my childhood, Elizabeth. I'm sure one of my grandparents used to sing that to me, probably my Nan.
A lovely entry for my AJJ theme, that pup is so cute!

Meggymay said...

This journal page and song really appeals to me having had dogs around for so many years, it really brought back the memories.
Including the time my aunt and I brought a puppy back for my gran after a Christmas shopping trip to town where the local market was just beside the bus station and we couldn't pass it by.
Yvonne xx