Monday, April 18, 2022

T Stands For Let's Talk Napins and Coffee Makers

 

Imagine my surprise when I suggested a napkin swap that people had no idea what a decorator napkin was.

A decorator napkin is one you use in your art, like the ones above.  I have sent these napkins to friends in the past, but not the roses, which I purchased for journal pages only.

A decorator napkin will contain three layers of napkin.  There is a top layer that has the design, a middle layer that will sometimes show the same design, only fainter, and the bottom layer that will contain no trace of the color or design.

Carefully remove the top sheet from the two bottom sheets. 

Save the bottom two layers for other projects and use the top layer in your art.  If you want to join the napkin swap, I suggest you send only the top layer of the napkin.  Be sure it is complete and has no rips, though.

A napkin like this is nice for your own art, but should not be one you use in the swap.  You should be able to use the entire napkin, not just the part inside the white area.

When I peeled this napkin apart, I was surprised how much blue color was left on the second layer.

I purchased a package of these napkins for backgrounds in my Halloween altered book.  This is NOT a decorator napkin that is acceptable for the swap.

Here are some napkins I have received in the past and the sender.




I am sorry, but I'm not sure if this came from Linda K or Yvonne.

Now you know the type of napkin that is acceptable for the swap.  You can find decorator napkins everywhere, including your grocery store, the dollar store, Tuesday Morning, and specialty stores.  Please let me know in the comments if you want to swap.  I know a few of you have already said you were interested in swapping.

In 2020, I sent everyone who participated in T Stands For Tuesday an ATC and, among other things, a napkin.  Here is how Jo used the napkin I sent.  

Normally I would use one of these napkins as my qualifier for T Tuesday.  However, this is recycle month and I simply had to recycle something today.

I've mentioned this book before and used images from it.  However, I have never shown the cover before.  It was edited by James Beard and contains cooking items for those who love to cook.  It was published in 1972 and given to me by my foodie friend, Sally. It is a large book that used the entire space on my scanner. There are over 750 pages and it weighs a ton (OK, not quite a ton).  All coffee maker images came from this book.

Here is a rather sad photo of the page I have created.  I scanned it so you can see everything better.

This Bunn coffeemaker is the one my friend Scott swears by.  It is hooked to a water source and water is kept hot so coffee can be brewed in around a minute.

I grind my coffee every time I make a new pot.  I'm glad I don't have to use this old beauty.

This is the most beautiful and possibly the most expensive French Press I have ever seen.  It retailed for $184.00 (USD) in 1972.

This is definitely NOT how I would make a pot of coffee.  I would begin by grinding my beans.  To each his own, though.  I love how they compare the espresso machine to a calculator.  Does anyone even use a calculator anymore?

These are cans of coffee from earlier times.

I was sure the image color quality would be off in the scan, so I took a photo of these cans.  You be the judge. 

A really, really old time French Press.

This is a Melitta pour over machine.  Melitta is, without a doubt, one of the great dinosaurs of the coffee industry and has managed to preserve its immense legacy over time without losing its momentum or market presence.
 
This is another drip coffee maker.
 
This coffee urn has become a collector's item.  I have something similar, but it is not a collector's item and the stand isn't nearly as tall as the one in the magazine.

For Day 19 of 22, I recycled these wonderful images of coffee makers and sewed them to a used file folder.  Note there is NO Mr. Coffee and the coffee pods weren't even a gleam in their inventor's eye in the 1970s.

Now it's your turn to share a drink inspired post.  You may share photos, a place you visited, an empty cup, a full cup, teapot, or mug, movies, postcards, books, magazines, sketches, mixed media, drawings, paintings, tags, scrapbooking, or other art that is digital, hybrid, or traditional, as long as it in some way relates back to a drink, any drink.  Regardless, please share below, then Bleubeard and I, along with other T gang friends will be by to visit.  Bleubeard would like to remind you that your photos may be taken at any time, not just on Tuesday.  And please check back often, because some are early T visitors and some visit much later on Tuesday afternoon.






Please don't forget to let me know about the napkin swap.


30 thoughtful remarks:

Christine said...

Interesting post.

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Elizabeth, this was so interesting thank you. I am one that just had no idea what the napkins were. that James Beard book sounds like a real find. I have a china pour over coffee set up that I really like and have not used in awhile-makes delicious coffee. I got it as a free gift from Gevalia coffee many years ago.
I am going to search out this napkins for sure, but right now I have my hands full with projects Happy T

Elephant's Child said...

The fox napkin has my vote today. Beautiful things.
Sadly I can no longer drink coffee - though I love the smell.

Sharon Madson said...

Fun and interesting coffee pot images. You know I would do the swap. I did it again. I scheduled my post, then forgot to link it right away! Thanks for the lesson in acceptable napkins. :). Happy T Day, Elizabeth!

Kate Yetter said...

I really loved seeing all the napkins. I think the guest check was my favorite.
Your coffee page is informative, and I really like the stitching around the edges.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

My name is Erika. said...

I'm surprised people didn't know what decorator napkins are. I think they can also be called tea napkins. That might not be true but that's what I've had people tell me they are called. Or we could call them T napkins to make them appropriate. And that is quite the kitchen book. It looks like a classic. I wonder how many things in it are obsolete and how many kitchen items may be in but have changed. Anyhow, I hope you have a great T day. Thanks for sharing these fun art pages too. hugs-Erika

Carola Bartz said...

I'm one of those who didn't know what a decorator napkin is - and we actually have a lot of beautiful ones in Germany. I do like the fox one, that is so cute.
Beautiful book as well. Just recently we were talking about German inventions and inventors in the German class I'm teaching and it was fun to read how Melitta Bentz came to invent the paper coffee filter - she was unhappy about the percolator system of that time (very early 1900's) and experimented with different means. Eventually, she used her son's blotting paper which she put in the bottom of a brass pot that she had punctured with a nail. Voilà, the coffee filter!

jinxxxygirl said...

I would love to be in on the napkin swap! I have bought napkins for my art before but you get so many in a package that it would be nice to swap some out.. and get new ones to play with.. Perhaps you can show what is possible to do with these napkins?? Loved learning about the coffee pots! Happy Tday! deb

Linda Kunsman said...

Love the napkins and using them for art. you gave a great explanation/tutorial on the napkins and how you peel apart the layers. I have that fox one from Patty too and it's one of my very faves:). That last one you shared did not come from me.
That must be a wonderful book to peruse despite the heaviness. So cool! Love your pages and the colorful stitching around the images really adds to the "mixed media" aspect.
As I explained about our mail issue I will not be participating in the swap. I'll look forward to seeing everyone's posts about the napkins they receive. happy T day!

Cloudia said...

You will never be bored!

Mae Travels said...

Great. history of coffee makers that you presented in your collage today! I’m surprised not to see Chemex there — it was really BIG in the 1950s I think, and I read an article about it recently. Beard was very opinionated so maybe he didn’t want to include it in his catalog. I used to use decorative disposable paper napkins when I had people to dinner, but the pandemic made me stop. Also the pandemic made me think about being more careful about disposable things, so I now use cloth napkins. IKEA always had great prices for packages of decorative dinner napkins.

I’m still traveling so I might not visit many people but I hope everyone has a good drink for Tuesday.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Valerie-Jael said...

Fascinating information about coffee implements and napkins. Thanks for sharing! Happy T Day, Valerie

Lisca said...

What an interesting post. I think we all knew what napkins you meant, but people call them by different names. In England they would be decorated paper napkins. I have bought a packet and would love to participate, but if it is logistically too complicated or expensive, just leave me out and I will use them as tea napkins, no problem.
I love to see all those coffee makers. I have had coffee in many different ways, having traveled so much. In Turkey ( and the Middle East) the coffee was the best. They would pour hot water over ground coffee and you wait until the sludge has settled on the bottom of the cup, then drink it. I’m talking the 1970s here, so things might have changed by now.
I’m away from home so I don’t know if I’m able to do many visits. This comment has taken me a long time to get right.
Have a lovely T-Day, Lisca

Empire of the Cat said...

I don't know what we call these napkins here, probably just "fancy" napkins. I must find out. With postage the way it is here, I don't think I could join in the swap unfortunately. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

nwilliams6 said...

I definitely want to do the swap so can you email me at kwilliams6@elmore.rr.com and also details on when, how many to send, etc.

I love your napkin collection.

Also, your history of coffee page is great and the towel holder from your previous post - all such great recycling ideas!!!

Happy T-day, Elizabeth. Hugz

CJ Kennedy said...

I'll sit out the swap. Beautiful napkins. I like the blue napkin with the roses the best. Interesting post on coffee. I don't like the taste of coffee, but I like the smell. As a kid, I liked to hang by the coffee grinder at the A & P where my parents shopped sometimes. You could have their 8 o'clock coffee beans freshly ground. Mmmm, lovely smell. Thanks for the memory. Happy T Day

Divers and Sundry said...

I have some leftover napkins, little things bought for teas/parties, but had no idea there were napkins intended for art use lol I had assumed people who used napkins in their art were using the former, not buying the latter specifically for art. I am so art-clueless lol

I have several coffee makers, but I've never seen a Bunn in home use. Cool! And I sometimes buy beans and grind them, but I confess I usually buy them already ground.

Happy T Tuesday!

Nancy said...

What a great selection of napkins! You're wise to do a swap- the packages always contain more napkins than needed for art projects and this way you get a wonderful variety of designs to have on hand. Fresh coffee beans do smell so wonderful. No wonder people buy coffee scented candles!

Barbara said...

I am sure there are many beautiful napkins out there like these. But I’ll enjoy seeing them here and not join a swap. My creative days are becoming less, I’d probably just end up using them for um, errr…napkins!

Debra said...

This was a really fun post to read and look at! I want some coffee right now!!!

Darla said...

Enjoyed the post. I don't remember the details about the swap so I can't commit right now. I'll look back through your posts because I remember you mentioning it earlier.

I use a Melitta coffee pot and have for years. It is getting harder to find the glass pot so I try to be very careful with mine.

Sharon Madson said...

I hope you come back and read this, because I wanted to tell you if you go back to my TSFT post, I replied to your questions.

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, so many beautiful napkins! I always enjoy using them on my pages so I'm going to look into the cost of postage as I would like to join in the swap 😁. Loved all the coffee images and information too, you always are so great at recycling. Happy T Tuesday! Hugs Jo x

DVArtist said...

Really wonderful napkins and that book is a treasure for sure. Glad you can leave comments now too. Have a lovely day.

kathyinozarks said...

Elizabeth, have you made any videos on how to craft with the decorator napkins? I was looking around online-some of them are really gorgeous and use vintage flowers etc.
what kind of glue or how do you attach these to a page-thanks

pearshapedcrafting said...

No matter how I try, blogger isn’t letting me comment on your interesting post! As you know I do love using napkins in my journal pages! I’ll pass on the swap for now - still trying to catch up! Hugs, Chrisx

Jeanie said...

When I did Mixed media, I loved using napkins. Now I have a lot of them so I use them as .... napkins! This was a great post. Loved the coffee things and all the napkin art, too. And thanks for coming over! I hope you get to Sketchbook Revival soon!

Rita said...

I have a Melita cup but it didn't come with the little pot.
Napkins can be so elegant and artistic! :)

Bridget Larsen said...

I love using napkins in my crafting. Made cards and decoupage. Whoever discovered this crafting tool is a genius
Bridget #20

Bridget Larsen said...

Just a note for EOTC # 12, we cant visit your blog, its forbidden so you must have it locked out to anyone to visit